Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2021, 13:02   #11
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Even when apparently cordial relationships are developed it is prudent to be at least wary of overseas changes in former philosophies.

Some overtly friendly intentions are shielding non-disclosed ambitions and where international loyalties are concerned a benevolent attitude must to some extent have limitations.

Insidious creep into traditional strategic strongholds (commerce and education) is already compromised here through investment in not only funding but also diplomatically. Friendly and sincere cooperation is vital of course, but that velvet glove may not be all it seems. This necessary approach could be the only way of avoiding catastrophic stand-offs.
Old 26th February 2021, 20:29   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The sad thing is the population of this planet is getting out of control and if we dont have another war we will be badly over populated in a few more decades. At the end of WW2 the population of the planet was 2 billion and we have nearly 4 times more people that that now.

Wars have always kept the population at a sensible level. My Father who was in World war 2 rarely spoke about the horrors he had seen but even he said it will only be a matter of time before we have another.

My guess the percentage of population who will be destroyed will make previous wars look like a play ground fight. Most of the major cities will disappear in a flash.

On a plus we can hope we will no nothing about it as post the next war will be a terrible place to exist. There will be little or nothing of what we consider of modern life.

The big question who will start the next major conflict and what will be the reason or made up reason?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 23:35   #13
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

An interesting, deeply worrying, thought provoking topic but one hardly appropriate for a car enthusiast forum.
One thing for sure, if all we are left with is MAD then the whole planet is in deep doo doo. Even the great Albert can be wrong so come the nuclear conflagration not even stick nor stones as we know them nor anyone to wield them shall remain - even with SALT that is the reality.
I'm just coming up on 8 years as a member so on that note maybe a mod can move this to the Social (social!!!) section for posterity.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2021, 16:50   #14
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I don't think any of the "superpowers" are stupid enough to initiate anything but its the "tin pot dictators" and terror groups we have to be concerned about. I have no doubt that if they ever got the opportunity they'd take it. Of course there's also the "Dr Strangelove" scenario as well!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2021, 20:46   #15
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Saw a picture of the Hiroshima bomb carrying plane called " Enola Gay " recently and before take off the pilot Paul Warfield Tibbets was leaning out of the window smiling for the camera, would have thought given his mission he may have been in more sombre mood.

The plane was named after his mother Enola Gay Tibbets and after the war, the Enola Gay returned to the United States, where it was operated from Roswell Army Air Field, New Mexico. In May 1946, it was flown to Kwajalein for the Operation Crossroads nuclear tests in the Pacific, but was not chosen to make the test drop at Bikini Atoll. Later that year it was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution, and spent many years parked at air bases exposed to the weather and souvenir hunters, before being disassembled and transported to the Smithsonian's storage facility at Suitland, Maryland, in 1961.

In the 1980s, veterans groups engaged in a call for the Smithsonian to put the aircraft on display, leading to an acrimonious debate about exhibiting the aircraft without a proper historical context. The cockpit and nose section of the aircraft were exhibited at the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) on the National Mall, for the bombing's 50th anniversary in 1995, amid controversy. Since 2003, the entire restored B-29 has been on display at NASM's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. The last survivor of its crew, Theodore Van Kirk, died on 28 July 2014 at the age of 93.

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2021, 21:11   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Saw a picture of the Hiroshima bomb carrying plane called " Enola Gay " recently and before take off the pilot Paul Warfield Tibbets was leaning out of the window smiling for the camera, would have thought given his mission he may have been in more sombre mood.

The plane was named after his mother Enola Gay Tibbets and after the war, the Enola Gay returned to the United States, where it was operated from Roswell Army Air Field, New Mexico. In May 1946, it was flown to Kwajalein for the Operation Crossroads nuclear tests in the Pacific, but was not chosen to make the test drop at Bikini Atoll. Later that year it was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution, and spent many years parked at air bases exposed to the weather and souvenir hunters, before being disassembled and transported to the Smithsonian's storage facility at Suitland, Maryland, in 1961.

In the 1980s, veterans groups engaged in a call for the Smithsonian to put the aircraft on display, leading to an acrimonious debate about exhibiting the aircraft without a proper historical context. The cockpit and nose section of the aircraft were exhibited at the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) on the National Mall, for the bombing's 50th anniversary in 1995, amid controversy. Since 2003, the entire restored B-29 has been on display at NASM's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. The last survivor of its crew, Theodore Van Kirk, died on 28 July 2014 at the age of 93.

It was a time of war and they were off to attack the enemy. With the camera on them I perfectly understand the pilot smiling.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 17:19   #17
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The sad thing is the population of this planet is getting out of control and if we dont have another war we will be badly over populated in a few more decades. At the end of WW2 the population of the planet was 2 billion and we have nearly 4 times more people that that now.

Wars have always kept the population at a sensible level.
Yeah, wars do knock-off a small percentage with WWII being one of the most costly in lives. I cannot remember the "official" total figure but the USSR was 20 mil, The Holocaust 6 mil, China (quite a lot) ect., ect. However, disease annually takes a bigger toll (malaria for instance). Deaths from traffic accidents are also a underlooked toll. The USA had more road traffic deaths than KIA in the Vietnam war on an annual basis. Demonstrations galore against the war but nery a peep about the higher toll.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:22   #18
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post

I wonder if the arc of light at the end of the hanger was done deliberately to replicate the shape of the mushroom cloud?
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:36   #19
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

If anyone wishes to see the result please look online or send me your email address and I will send you a two page word document which has the before and after pictures. I cant seem to attach the document as the size is to big.
alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:58   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Am right in thinking that even with all the annual deaths for what ever reason the population is still increasing along with pollution and deforestation in fact with increased harm to the planet we live on.

We are still facing a plague now but the total deaths while painful for some are still only a drop in the ocean compared to world population.

Science seems to be able to get on top of disease but not the harm we do.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote