Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th October 2020, 19:48   #1
gingerdave27

MG ZT-T

Default MG ZT-T CDTi Auto - Non Start - Engine Disabled Message - Wet EWS

Hi Guys, was hoping not to ask for advice so soon after joining but my ZT has had other ideas..... I'll try not to ramble.....

All was fine until I went to start her this morning - I didn't quite hold the key on crank for long enough for it to start so cycled the ignition and tried again. To be met by the engine quite happily turning over but not firing. After trying twice the engine disabled message, with the engine symbol and line through it appeared on the IPK screen. Thinking maybe there was a key issue I grabbed the other two coded keys I have for the car and tried both one after another. Only to be greeted by the same message and non-start.

Was running out of time so grabbed my other car keys and took my VW G**f to work. Having done some investigation on previous threads I believed that I was most likely looking at an EWS / immobiliser issue but everything I read said that an EWS issue would not allow the engine to crank over.

Once home I checked that the rev counter was bouncing on cranking - it was ruling out a Crank Speed Sensor Issue, I also checked the engine fault memory and found no faults logged relating to the cam position sensor.

Then it occurred to me that the day before this happened it had rained heavily - prolonged downpours of a couple of hours. So I checked the plenum drains - found plenum drains clear and no water sitting in there - Pollen filter also dry.

I removed the trims to access the EWS module and found the first issue and the reason I could still crank the engine - the large white / red wires for crank in and out had been joined by a scotch lock - this car obviously had the EWS starter relay issue in the past!

Also found water dripping from the bottom edge of the EWS unit - not a good sign

The drivers side sunroof tube was connected but I found it blocked at the rubber grommet under the wheel arch liner. Now sorted and cleaned - drain running properly and draining out under the wheel arch. It seemed that the drain tube had filled with water and then water was running down the outside of the tube and dripping off at the lowest point - right above the EWS unit.

Having removed the EWS and opened it up I can see that the PCB is quite corroded along its lower edge and that one resistor is completely missing!

I'm allowing the unit to dry slowly indoors but I fear that as it wouldn't start at all that the unit may be too far gone!

Having read previous posts I believe that Marinabrian is the man that I need to speak to as is the guru of all things EWS related

I would prefer to keep the three keys if it would be possibly to either code the transponder chips to a new EWS or to code three new transponders to a 2nd hand EWS?

I have seen that you can get used EWS and transponder chips and while I believe that this should enable it to start and run it would have a mis-match of chassis numbers / mileages?

If someone could tell me the best way to get in contact with Marinabrian i would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance all
gingerdave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 21:33   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but MarinaBrian has left the forum. Try one of the other experts like BigRuss or Jamieweich, contact via the PM system.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 21:35   #3
gingerdave27

MG ZT-T

Ok thanks for that. I’ll try and pm big Russ
gingerdave27 is offline   Reply With Quote