Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th June 2022, 12:47   #11
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

hello martin , been trying to do some digging for you. It seems that the petrol tanks on all variants are the same. Even the V8 looks to be the same tank and pump and filter. The only petrol tank number i can find is WHW000010 . Rimmers have removed parts numbers now , on all items no longer stocked or unavailable,which makes things difficult to check history of superseeded or uprated parts. I dont have access to XPART part numbers but someone may have on here. What i find interesting on rimmers website is that the part numbers for the rubber sealing rings and the metal locking rings have not been changed. The pumps have and the filter units have.They are clearly marked with chassis numbers before and after certain production numbers. This would seem to suggest that the fitting rings and seals are indeed the same. That being the case then the rings and seals fit all variants. i presume that you have a mk1 tank spare into which you wish to transfer your current mk2 pump and filter assembly gubbins into ? People have replaced the seals and lockrings on here many times on both mk1 and mk2 and not commented that they did not fit, or i have not heard of it . The digging that i have done is not definitive by any means but is encouraging. Even if the bore diameters of the tank for the pump and filters were slightly different,the seals and rings must fit ok on all . i hope that someone can dig out some part numbers on the tanks to see if there are any changes to fitment...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2022, 13:07   #12
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
I haven't had much luck with replies to my enquiry. However, it appears the main problems are releasing the handbrake cables from the brake expanders and dropping the exhaust.

The only other problem I have uncovered is that there appear to be two different fuel pumps and filters does anyone know if there is any difference between the two. I would appreciate a response.

Martin
The tank will come out without releasing the cables from the backplates. they will need disconnecting from the compensator and along their routes to the backplates. If the subframe needs dropping for access or not i cannot remember , either way it will be a struggle. As mentioned before , a four or two poster is best for this job,and you will need help. ..

Last edited by xsport; 28th June 2022 at 17:33..
Old 27th June 2022, 10:39   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Martin & Stefan,

I've had a look at a 2002 Electronic Parts Catalogue (which doesn't cover the 1.8T unfortunately).

There were three tanks, two pump units and two filter module units with tubes. All are common to the KV6 and 1.8.

To VIN 224760
Tank = WFE 106031
Pump unit = WFX 100922 including pump WFX 101160
Filter module unit = WGS 100031

From VIN 224761 > 225075
Tank = WFE 106032
Pump unit: no change
Filter module unit: no change

VIN 225076 on
Tank = WHW 000010
Pump unit = WFX 101471 including pump XNB 000030
Filter module unit: WGS 100071

So Martin, I'd say that if you fit one of the above tanks complete with its own pump unit and filter module unit then all will be o.k. However if a tank came from a 1.8T then it could be a different story as the pump has twice the flow rate of the other petrol engines.

I hope this helps.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 27th June 2022 at 10:48..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2022, 17:40   #14
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Hi Stefan & Simon,

Thanks for your responses which are most helpful.

I am intending to fit a tank complete with filter and pump from a 2002 Rover 75 with KV6 engine. My car is a 2003 MG ZTT with a KV6 engine. Having looked at the connections they look the same although the tops of the pump look slightly different.

Stefan, I am intending to remove the brake cables from the backplates unless they are rusted in, I hope that will not be the case as the car has only covered about 67,000 miles. It looks like the connections at the compensator might be more difficult to remove. It doesn't look as though it is necessary to remove the sub-frame.

I am very fortunate that I have a two post lift so it should be relatively easy to remove the tank, (famous last words) the days of lying on my back underneath cars are thankfully well over!

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2022, 20:04   #15
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

im pretty sure that the tank can be manipulated over the handbrake cables , without disconnecting at either the hubs or compensator. release the handbrake lever fully and it should come out with a bit of hassle if you unclip the cables along their paths where poss. you need 2 people to do this job . you can try this first before plan B at the backplates. The chances are that at least one or both may be seized into the backplates. I am sure you are aware then that in most cases the "collars" will need to be cut and opened up to remove the cable.New backplates then needed sadly. i hope all goes well for you and let us know how you go on. thanks for the update. ...
Old 27th June 2022, 20:06   #16
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Martin & Stefan,

I've had a look at a 2002 Electronic Parts Catalogue (which doesn't cover the 1.8T unfortunately).

There were three tanks, two pump units and two filter module units with tubes. All are common to the KV6 and 1.8.

To VIN 224760
Tank = WFE 106031
Pump unit = WFX 100922 including pump WFX 101160
Filter module unit = WGS 100031

From VIN 224761 > 225075
Tank = WFE 106032
Pump unit: no change
Filter module unit: no change

VIN 225076 on
Tank = WHW 000010
Pump unit = WFX 101471 including pump XNB 000030
Filter module unit: WGS 100071

So Martin, I'd say that if you fit one of the above tanks complete with its own pump unit and filter module unit then all will be o.k. However if a tank came from a 1.8T then it could be a different story as the pump has twice the flow rate of the other petrol engines.

I hope this helps.

Simon
Thankyou simon for your time and efforts for others. much appreciated. ..
Old 27th June 2022, 20:55   #17
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
im pretty sure that the tank can be manipulated over the handbrake cables , without disconnecting at either the hubs or compensator. release the handbrake lever fully and it should come out with a bit of hassle if you unclip the cables along their paths where poss. you need 2 people to do this job . you can try this first before plan B at the backplates. The chances are that at least one or both may be seized into the backplates. I am sure you are aware then that in most cases the "collars" will need to be cut and opened up to remove the cable.New backplates then needed sadly. i hope all goes well for you and let us know how you go on. thanks for the update. ...
Just a bit extra if it helps. if i remember correctly , if the shocks are unbolted at the bottom bolts to the radius arms , this should allow the arms to drop down further and give you some extra room.
Old 28th June 2022, 09:07   #18
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default Fuel tank

Recently had the tanks out on both of mine to do some rusty brake pipes. Just had to drop the handbrake cables out of the way without disconnecting them from the handbrake or the backplate. Just unclipped them ant removed the plate that holds them to the rear subframe. Unplugged what I could from inside the car underneath the back seat, hatches x2, and then disconnected the fat pipe from under the car. All done on the driveway on axle stands. Time consuming but not difficult.j
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 09:38   #19
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The V8 uses a 1.8t in tank fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 28th June 2022, 16:49   #20
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

yes andy your right. All the same tank on petrols. Just the part numbers being altered probably due to bmw or mgr part number change overs or prices or whatever. Martin should be able to syphon most of the existing fuel out with some hose of a decent length to help him with spillage avoidance. i just hope his new pump is a good one and could be tested first before install off the car.