Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th July 2022, 20:13   #1
jmurray01

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 interior questions...

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum, having joined since buying a 2005 Rover 75 Connoisseur 2 days ago.

Fortunately the car is in good shape where it matters, as in bodywork and undercarriage, however the interior is one bit that needs attention, namely the headliner and drivers A pillar trim.

The headliner had dropped at the rear, which I've glued back on with spray adhesive (I do not expect this to last long!) and the pillar trim I tried to glue, but ended up making a total mess of because I'm a useless tool.

In any case, to replace both (firstly the A pillar trim then the headliner at a later date), I need to ensure I'm getting the right colour scheme. I thought best to just ask some people who probably know the answer right away, so the question is this: of the facelift Rover 75, were there many interior colour schemes for headlining/trim and is there a way to ascertain which one my vehicle has?

Secondly, a quick check of eBay appears to show that replacement headliners are readily available. I would imagine replacing the headlining is quite simple in a tourer, since it could just slide out through the tailgate (in theory), but I bought a saloon and taking out the rear screen seems a bit extreme. Has anyone done that job on a saloon, and on a scale of 1 to "I'm paying a professional", how difficult is it?

It may be easy to identify from a photo, but I am not able to post attachments to this thread. I'll try and create a link I can share to display the photo ASAP.

Thank you in advance...

-Jamie.

EDIT - I hope this works, please see photo of interior colour: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlsC4JfFQhFRhb50hm6oPuvwntQ2RQ

Last edited by jmurray01; 12th July 2022 at 20:25..
jmurray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2022, 20:25   #2
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

I have read somewhere on here on the saloon it comes out through the drivers door opening, if you do a search in the Google search bar at the top of the page many threads will come up and may be of help to you
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2022, 20:44   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Welcome Jamie, have a read of this https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=122895
BTW, looks like smokestone

Last edited by suzublu; 12th July 2022 at 20:47..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2022, 21:24   #4
jmurray01

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Welcome Jamie, have a read of this https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=122895
BTW, looks like smokestone
That is very interesting, and shows that the original owner of my 75 didn't opt for any optional extras!

Thank you for the suggestion on the colour. I'm slightly colour blind so telling even moderately similar colours apart is a challenge!

Hopefully an A pillar trim in the correct colour will appear at some point. The only one I can find at the moment is this one, which I'm 99% sure (aforementioned colour blindness/stupidity notwithstanding) is a different colour to my interior: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165447036...oAAOSwvjZiZGJm
Old 12th July 2022, 21:33   #5
jmurray01

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
I have read somewhere on here on the saloon it comes out through the drivers door opening, if you do a search in the Google search bar at the top of the page many threads will come up and may be of help to you
Ah yes, I can see that now. That's reassuring that it can be done, although requires some dexterity by the sounds of it. I'd better get my head around it though if I want it sorted. I suspect it will be one of those jobs that procrastination takes over for a while!!
Old 12th July 2022, 21:43   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
Ah yes, I can see that now. That's reassuring that it can be done, although requires some dexterity by the sounds of it. I'd better get my head around it though if I want it sorted. I suspect it will be one of those jobs that procrastination takes over for a while!!
There are several options available to a sagging head liner, I had the problem with my tourer and opted to pin it back up with small pins. If you set them out in a pattern it does not look at all bad and it does save you a struggle with trying to remove the head liner.. You can also get sets of pins of the bay of thieves, they come as a kit with instructions as to how to set them out.
The "A" pillars you should be able to pick up from a scrap yard and are easily replaced as they only clip in.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2022, 22:56   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Jamie.
Welcome to the club, the head liner can be removed from the saloon as stated above through the front drivers door or the passenger front door.

All the the front middle and rear panels need to be removed all clip in just be careful, with them the front ones mostly as they may have air bags fitted to them.

All the pull handles above each door will need removing, as will the front and rear roof lights, also do not for get the sun blinds.

Once all they have been removed the roof liner is ready to be lowered, to do this best recline the fronts seat right down, lower the liner and feed it through which ever front door you pick, good luck.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2022, 08:39   #8
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

In respect of changing the roof lining, a decision regarding how annoying the current situation is a real deciding factor to use. The reason for stating this is as follows - when removing the original headliner, it is considered to be of no further use, thus there would be little point treating it with anything less than contempt, and once out, there is no going back ! The consideration of how the replacement will go in and not get too damaged is worth considering when looking at the need to partially crease it to enter the cabin through a door ! Will this end up sagging fairly quickly and maybe in a different place, or worse - sag in multiple areas ? The headliner is composed of 2 basic materials, one being the board material (Which contains some insulation materials that may cause irritation to both the skin and resparitary system), and then the outer material. There is also a thin sponge thin layer between these two, so it is a 3 part component of some size. So understanding this, and the fact that it will need a lot of manipulation to get through a door of choice, I have some advice that follows what Arctic has mentioned in his post. The strip down is fairly simple to do alongside the removal. But having done this job myself more than once I can suggest some additional areas that may ease the pain of doing the process and assist in a better outcome, but will be more time consuming. This car would need to take the day off from normal duties on the transplant day. Tooling will need to be fully understood and catered for for the process I am about to describe. So considering the replacement headlining will be a used one, the dismantler will probably have a fairly well stripped car as a doner, so he may have doors off the car, seats missing ETC. So this is how I would commit to the best possible outcome. Fully tooled up and roof lining stripped out already, I would remove the following to reduce the risk of damage to the near perfect lining. Remove the N/S/F door completely - I advise an assistant be ready for this and store safely, remove the N/S/F seat completely, remove the rear seat base fully, fully adjust the driver seat recline position as far as possible. This sounds quite an exercise, and it is ! But considering the space that has been freed up, you will note that the entry point has a good amount of space, and that the lining can now pass in the passenger side of the cabin from almost any angle you choose, but do your best to do this only once as each time a bend happens, the layers become compromised and increase the chance of new sagging. Having manipulated the lining into the cabin with the rear resting on the rear head rests, you can start re-trimming the cabin, but dont fit everything tight untill the board is exactly in place, allow some jiggle room so that everything fits just perfectly, when everything is fully in place, finish off the final fix to the lining and associated bits and pieces. Re-fitting the seat and door should present very few issues as they are bolts to fix in place. It sounds excessive to read, but it depends on how you want the final result to look and for how long. Sorry for the long-winded description, but it is based on experience, same as Acrtic with his level or MG & Rover fixes. We all like to do quick fixes, but when you plan and absorb knowledge and experience from those who offer it for free - it becomes very valued.
The reason why I have this knowledge, is that all of the trim in my R75, changed colour to black, yes unlike the light colours used by MGR, I loved it but took considerable time to achieve.
I wish you the best of luck in this, take your time and plan everything fully before starting.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2022, 09:56   #9
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi John,good to see you pop in now and again.Took on board all the suggestions,my
lining has recently decided to join me below.Have been pondering if to take it out but will probably chicken out for the time being and resort to pins due to the amount of hassle.The main factor would be having to get a van to get a replacement lining or have it taken for a professional job.Regards Ry......
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2022, 10:20   #10
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Hi John,good to see you pop in now and again.Took on board all the suggestions,my
lining has recently decided to join me below.Have been pondering if to take it out but will probably chicken out for the time being and resort to pins due to the amount of hassle.The main factor would be having to get a van to get a replacement lining or have it taken for a professional job.Regards Ry......
Hi RY.
If you have a tourer on you fleet, it will be able to accept a saloon liner with ease and the least of damage.
I still come on here from time to time on my rest days as I now wrok 4 days on, and 4 days off shifts.
Problems are starting with sourcing useable parts for these cars more and more now, and it will get to the point where the only fix for this type of trim issue is to call in on a decent trimmer company to take care of recovering such an item.
My days dealing with cars in my spare time have mostly ended, in part due to my work, MOT testing and lots of it ! So the idea of playing with cars beyond that are somewhat limited, even my car gets looked after by a technician who works where I work, I do oil changes and basic stuff,but much more gets done by somebody else..
Anyway, I hope all is well with you and the fleet, and maybe catch up at some point soon.
Kind regards - John.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote