Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th July 2022, 14:36   #11
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

of course . thats what im saying ron. if the older models were any different for a slow speed fan test using the "aircon button test" jules would have mentioned this. he has repaired and serviced enough of them.dont you think ?
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 14:38   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
... so the demist test will work with the aircon switch in either the on or off position ?
Do you have manual air conditioning Stefan with a push button marked "A/C"?
Quote:
... this demist test is really just a slow speed fan operation check then ?
We use the demist test to check slow speed fan operation, yes, because it always activates the air conditioning and when that happens the radiator fan will run.
Quote:
... this demist test ... will test the fan slow speed function even if the aircon does not activate ?
That's what we're not sure about! On Stocktake's car it did but on Savestone's car it didn't. To gather more test results we can all simulate a discharged air conditioning system by carrying out the demist test after unplugging the trinary switch connector.

Simon
Old 24th July 2022, 15:21   #13
SD1too

Quote:
... if the older models were any different ... jules would have mentioned this. he has repaired and serviced enough of them.dont you think ?
Jules' guide is now thirteen years old so some of what is written there needs updating and clarifying. Unfortunately Jules no longer routinely visits this forum to do this. However he does say that the fan will continue to respond to testing even if there is no refrigerant gas in the system.

Simon
Old 24th July 2022, 15:24   #14
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

i would be inclined to lean towards an intermittent fault being present on that particular car simon.rather than that particular case being a definitve conclusion of variations. as you are aware , these faults can be very evasive and will cover every aspect of the system,both from a mechanical point of view and electrical continuity or connection fault. a sticking trinary switch , bad connections on relays, etc etc , the list is not exhaustable. other members would im fairly sure,have noticed that the slow speed fan will not auto test with very low or zero a/c fluid by now, and would have been relieved at not renewing a failing rad fan. as i repeated in an earlier post , JULES would , if anyone would have known this to be a fact that on some models the slow speed fan cannot be tested with zero or low ac fluid being present. This does not seem to be the case. ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 15:28   #15
SD1too

Agreed Stefan.

Simon
Old 24th July 2022, 15:35   #16
nh627
Regular poster

Rover 75

Hi, not trying to confuse this thread but I have just purchased a 2000 75. Aircon was gassed and the garage advised pump not working so de-gassed. Checking the service record it appears the fault existed since 2009. Did some more investigation and tried a new relay with a re-gas. Bingo it all worked. Not saying the same will apply but the symptoms of fan working do seem to match.
nh627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 19:38   #17
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Here is the post by Savestones to which you're referring Dave. It's worth noting that when he mentions "coolant" in the first paragraph he means refrigerant and not antifreeze solution.

I'm not sure that it's safe to conclude that anyone is incorrect. Savestones has a 2002 ZT 2.5 KV6 and you have a 1999 Rover 2.5 KV6. On the face of it the two cars appear to be behaving differently and there may be a reason for this that we haven't yet discovered.

Simon

For forum members referencing the post in the future I included a note in my post. I must say that I don't know the specifics of the fan wiring, nor do I know 100% sure that everything in that region is original (the car is missing its service/modification history), but I should add that I paid special care in following the fan test instructions on here. Hopefully more test data shows if my car was a one off or if it is a consistent phenomenon
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote