Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd July 2022, 16:37   #21
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I used a plastic slice cut out from a HP sauce bottle & epoxy-ed it in place, then cut some slots in it as it was quite stiff. It's worked very well, better than the clips ever did. You could always see a sliver of light from the top of the light but that has been banished.

And l think three strategic stitches put in with a curved needle will hold the headlining in place to postpone the task of removing & recovering it.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2022, 20:03   #22
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...51#post2895251
Old 24th July 2022, 12:49   #23
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Ok, on entering the car this morning l was greeted by the rear courtesy light hanging around in the rear view mirror, most discourteous. The agent Bond failed it's mission.
So at my workshop l followed the last post & came up with this & the contacts were cleaned up a bit too as a couple were intermittent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220724_131909.jpg (135.6 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 24th July 2022 at 12:52..
Old 25th July 2022, 06:01   #24
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Let us know if it stays, I noticed you have turned the metal strip 180 degrees compared to mine, which i.m.o. could slight out more easy now due to natural forces?
Old 25th July 2022, 14:41   #25
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Yes, for ease of sliding the light in really. It seems OK but if it falls out l'll turn it around.

Old 17th September 2023, 07:19   #26
marhow

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
My rear interior courtesy light dropped out and was left dangling on the wiring.
Is this a common problem? I have not touched it, and my son is claiming innocence.

It looks like two of the clips have disintegrated.

They seem to be unavailable new.
Has anyone got any ideas for a fix.

Thanks, guys!
I look after four 2004/2005 R75 CDTI Tourers and the rear courtesy light switch unit has dropped out of the roof panel on 3, all with the same obvious problem, namely the grey ABS lugs on the rear part of the switch unit have broken - normally the larger plus smaller on each end of the switch unit.
As an aside, the switch unit strikes me as badly designed. There are numerous strips of metal conveying current to the bulbs even though the switch unit is close to the metal roof. The abs body has a complex design. The ABS lugs are very insubstantial.
I am currently exploring a fix which will: hold the rear part of the unit above the roof lining; does not foul the wiring that comes to the unit beneath an "arch" or "tunnel" at the central part of the rear of the unit; prevent the unit sliding so far back that the sprung clips on its front edge do not drop out. When successful, I will add to this post. Thus far I have tried to emulate the central single metal lug in the phot on this thread, but when I connected the leads the fuse for internal lighting failed - this is likely due to the close proximity of metal and current. I am about to repeat the central lug, but covered with rubber or made of flexible plastic in the hope this may avoid the fuse blowing.

Last edited by marhow; 17th September 2023 at 07:27..
marhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2023, 09:08   #27
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhow View Post
I look after four 2004/2005 R75 CDTI Tourers and the rear courtesy light switch unit has dropped out of the roof panel on 3, all with the same obvious problem, namely the grey ABS lugs on the rear part of the switch unit have broken - normally the larger plus smaller on each end of the switch unit.
As an aside, the switch unit strikes me as badly designed. There are numerous strips of metal conveying current to the bulbs even though the switch unit is close to the metal roof. The abs body has a complex design. The ABS lugs are very insubstantial.
I am currently exploring a fix which will: hold the rear part of the unit above the roof lining; does not foul the wiring that comes to the unit beneath an "arch" or "tunnel" at the central part of the rear of the unit; prevent the unit sliding so far back that the sprung clips on its front edge do not drop out. When successful, I will add to this post. Thus far I have tried to emulate the central single metal lug in the phot on this thread, but when I connected the leads the fuse for internal lighting failed - this is likely due to the close proximity of metal and current. I am about to repeat the central lug, but covered with rubber or made of flexible plastic in the hope this may avoid the fuse blowing.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s....php?p=2974459

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote