Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th October 2021, 15:54   #1
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Default Annoying resonating sound at 1900 rpm, what could this be?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out where to look for a resonating part at a speed between about 1700 and 1900 rpm. This is a 2.5 KV6 R 75. Something is resonating annoyingly at these revs, but I can't get the source clear yet. The sound is coming from about the height of the centre console in the engine compartment. Who has experience with which parts resonate? I'm trying to make a list, I'm looking at the heat shields of the exhaust, which are coming loose at the mounting points (already fixed), but what else could be vibrating and resonating?

Thanks in advance.
Emiel
Old 12th October 2021, 12:31   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

That sounds like the point where the VIS starts to open the butterfly valve and they can cause resonance in the inlet tract (tromboning I believe they call it in the Land Rovers!).
Old 12th October 2021, 12:36   #3
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

That's exactly a problem I have yet to get to grips with - it's really annoying - so am going to enlist Mrs Costa to hold the revs whilst I go detective. Mine is quite harsh and comes in and out abruptly, harmonics I expect. I have a 2000 flavour 2.0 V6
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 12:40   #4
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Too metallic for the vis - it's like a heat shield or something. Mine also comes in at around 1200 rpm when on warmup phase goes away and returns at 1900. And could return higher up the rev range but general engine thrash makes it hard to determine.
Old 12th October 2021, 17:42   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

had a couple of these on my v6 over the years. one culprit was the small heatshield under the car next to the bottom lower rear mount. another culprit was a cracked (but hardly visible ) horseshoe exhaust to engine sump bracket. other causes could be the bolts for holding above the fusebox under the passenger glovebox . lastly on mine a vibrating heatshield between the power steering rack and engine block. i suppose the list is endless in reality ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2021, 08:47   #6
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Hi all and thanks for the reactions.

Indeed it does sound like a heat shield, more metallic than the VIS valves. And, the sound is more to the bottom of the engine. I know it is really hard to determine and it could be more things than one, but by creating the list it gives me and everyone else with thesame problems, a bit of insight where are the common problems with this resonating things. Thanks!
Old 13th October 2021, 14:11   #7
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Good weather today so decided to find the rattly buzz. Found the main exhaust heatshield was adrift on one side, four fixings had failed as they do. Penny washers fixed that. So went around the engine bay and looked at all the heatshields of which there are a few - one or two were a little close to the power unit so eased them away. Whilst I was at it I replaced the alternator and discovered that the lower engine steady bush was toast.
Glad to say all buzzing/rattling gone. It's been there since I got the car so am pleased.
Hope this helps.
Old 15th October 2021, 10:13   #8
Azur
Loves to post

Hi, thanks for the extra things to check and to put them on the list. Glad you where able to solve it! Well done.