Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd July 2022, 14:35   #1
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default cutting compound advice

Need some advice please if anyone can help. I used an aerosol ready mixed for me at my local paint/factors shop. ... I have used them before and to be fair the colour match was pretty reasonable. I sprayed the front bumper as a tempory measure , and now it looks pretty shabby . No clear coat applied afterwards, and it looked acceptable for the short term. It has since darkened in colour over the last 9 mths to the point where it needs to be removed back down to the original paint. I have an orbital polisher and i want to remove the rattle can layer, and get the colour back up to the original thats underneath. I am going to get some work done professionally to give her a spruce up , but not yet. It was a mistake im sure to use the rattle can , but as your already aware, im no painter. I have some maguires ultimate compound but i dont know if this will be agressive enough. I think its 300 grit , same as G3 compound. Is this enough to remove the paint and then follow with maguires resin polish ? The bumper had 2 coats applied using 2 cans. Any guidance very much appreciated. thanks.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 15:20   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Forgot to mention type of pads to use . I need to buy a set i think to cut and polish and buff . ..
Old 4th July 2022, 05:42   #3
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

I think with 300 grit you will go trough the underlayer. I would use a Trizac 1000 grit wet instead. As a compound I use Rupus blue, with the blue pad and after that Rupus yellow co.pound and yellow pad. Still, depending on the surface amount, why not concider sanding down if needed, re-primer, add the new coulour layers and finish with the new clearcoat layers? Could be done with rattle cans if you use proper quality lacquer. But for appr. 200 pounds you could let it respayed professionally for optimal result and save a lot of time and effort.

Last edited by Azur; 4th July 2022 at 06:26..
Azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 07:53   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I don't think Meguiar UC is 300 grit - that's seriously rough. It's the sort of grade to rip off everything, quickly.

https://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/u...ompound-450ml/

Here's a reply from Meguiar's Inc from 2013........Re: Where is Ultimate Compound on the Abrasiveness Scale?

We don't rate our consumer products with a cut scale like we do with our Mirror Glaze pro line because it actually causes more confusion with the general public. In all honesty, it would probably scare the heck out of many them too, as the average guy on the street just isn't all that savvy about paint care. Since UC is derived directly from M105 and uses essentially the same abrasive set, it can and will cut very quickly. But those abrasives allow it cut like that without scouring the paint (unless you're dealing with super soft and delicate paint, in which case any heavy cutting compound or aggressive pad will haze it). Further, the cut scale on the Mirror Glaze products indicates the amount of cut each product gives when used in it's most commonly used process. So while M105 may be a 12 when used with a rotary buffer and cutting pad at 1800 rpm, it's not going to be close to that when used on a DA at slow speeds with a foam polishing pad.

You won't go wrong with Rupes pads, you could also look at my favourite - Scholl spider pads.

Something like this:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/schol...avy-blue-145mm.

And yes, it might be worth a go with some 1500/1200/1000 grit (?) wet and dry and see how that goes.

Good Luck.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 4th July 2022 at 07:55..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 13:33   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azur View Post
I think with 300 grit you will go trough the underlayer. I would use a Trizac 1000 grit wet instead. As a compound I use Rupus blue, with the blue pad and after that Rupus yellow co.pound and yellow pad. Still, depending on the surface amount, why not concider sanding down if needed, re-primer, add the new coulour layers and finish with the new clearcoat layers? Could be done with rattle cans if you use proper quality lacquer. But for appr. 200 pounds you could let it respayed professionally for optimal result and save a lot of time and effort.
thanks azur for the advice. problem is im working outside on the road and dont have facilities for any spraywork to be carried out in all weathers !! im just looking for a quick fix for now with a mop and polish . many thanks.
Old 4th July 2022, 13:38   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I don't think Meguiar UC is 300 grit - that's seriously rough. It's the sort of grade to rip off everything, quickly.

https://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/u...ompound-450ml/

Here's a reply from Meguiar's Inc from 2013........Re: Where is Ultimate Compound on the Abrasiveness Scale?

We don't rate our consumer products with a cut scale like we do with our Mirror Glaze pro line because it actually causes more confusion with the general public. In all honesty, it would probably scare the heck out of many them too, as the average guy on the street just isn't all that savvy about paint care. Since UC is derived directly from M105 and uses essentially the same abrasive set, it can and will cut very quickly. But those abrasives allow it cut like that without scouring the paint (unless you're dealing with super soft and delicate paint, in which case any heavy cutting compound or aggressive pad will haze it). Further, the cut scale on the Mirror Glaze products indicates the amount of cut each product gives when used in it's most commonly used process. So while M105 may be a 12 when used with a rotary buffer and cutting pad at 1800 rpm, it's not going to be close to that when used on a DA at slow speeds with a foam polishing pad.

You won't go wrong with Rupes pads, you could also look at my favourite - Scholl spider pads.

Something like this:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/schol...avy-blue-145mm.

And yes, it might be worth a go with some 1500/1200/1000 grit (?) wet and dry and see how that goes.

Good Luck.
thanks. what cutting compound for these pads would you recommend. will they clog up from the top layers ? if so would i need more than one to do the front bumper , and a buffing pad ..
Old 4th July 2022, 13:46   #7
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Hi, use 1000-1500 trizac from 3m wet sanding, to get rid of the top layer but carefull not to go through the underlayer original clearcoat, than use 3000 grit trizac wet, than 6000 grit trizac wet, than blue pad & compound Rupus, than yellow pad & compound Rupus.There is even a white pad and compound Rupus as top.finish, but I do not see much improvement on that compared to the yellow one. I use them.on a battery 12 Volt Makita drilling machine with a sticky adapter.

Last edited by Azur; 4th July 2022 at 13:49..
Azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2022, 00:57   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Azur has pretty much covered it .

If you want to go on the cutting compound route then something from here:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint...-cut-compounds

and to really get to grips with it then try a microfibre pad:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint...microfbre-pads

Yes, you'll need to keep the pads clean with your usual routine and probably two or 3 should be plenty to be able to keep going while the "used" ones are washed and are drying off.

I'd see how good the finish is before shelling out on yet more pads - what have you already got? You may find the Meguiars UC finishes down well enough until she can be professionally looked after.

Hope that helps

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2022, 10:56   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Azur has pretty much covered it .

If you want to go on the cutting compound route then something from here:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint...-cut-compounds

and to really get to grips with it then try a microfibre pad:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint...microfbre-pads

Yes, you'll need to keep the pads clean with your usual routine and probably two or 3 should be plenty to be able to keep going while the "used" ones are washed and are drying off.

I'd see how good the finish is before shelling out on yet more pads - what have you already got? You may find the Meguiars UC finishes down well enough until she can be professionally looked after.

Hope that helps
thankyou andy. bought the rupes yellow pads 155mm. will try with my maguires uc gingerly first. its an expensive game as im beginning to find out. ... would this be dry or wet application with these pads ? as you can see i have a deep learning curve to follow . ..
Old 5th July 2022, 10:58   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

AZUR thankyou for your inputs , both of you much apreciated. ...