Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th July 2022, 12:21   #1
LZ0
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDTI Auto 2003, Rover 75 CDTI Facelift, Rover 416Si K-series 1995

Default How-to: IKE mileage programming using CH341 USB device

IKE mileage programming using CH341 USB device

I want to report a successful IKE mileage change using a cheap CH341 USB device. The procedure could be useful in case of VIN mismatch or to fix the famous 999999 odometer error.

I hope it's useful for someone. Probably the Admin can move the topic to the How-to section.

Тo be used at your own risk!

In my case the original IKE died and I decided to move the original chip to a donor IKE. This caused the 999999 odometer error once powered up the cluster. There was no success trying to repair the corrupt memory area with BMW Scanner 1.4 while the cluster in the car. It can read, but cannot write to ODO and VIN areas. However, it could be useful to dump the EEPROM as a backup before attempting any modifications, such as de-soldering the chip.

In order to modify the mileage, you need to strip down the cluster and gain access to the chip. The chip then can be clipped to the programmer without de-soldering. It's best, however to de-solder and then do the reprogramming.

The memory chip being used in our 75s is 93S56. It could probably be replaced with 93C56, but I cannot confirm that.

Here a sketch of the wiring that I used. Note the bridge between pins 5&7(GND) and 6&8(+5V) in order to be able to write.

Chip location and breadboard wiring to programmer.

Once the hardware is hooked up, CH341 driver and AsProgrammer software installed, the chip can be read. I used Tachosoft program to calculate the car's mileage (km) in HEX and enter the respective values in AsProgrammer. However, what I found out is that setting 00 to addresses from 0x040 to 0x04B doesn't make the mileage zero. I'm not sure if setting FF to addresses 0x084 to 0x087 and address 0x089 will clean the VIN number.
LZ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2022, 19:57   #2
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Now that for sure asked for cleverness figuring out what to do, thanks for sharing.
Old 8th July 2022, 07:34   #3
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Dont suppose you know howto wire a three pin plug. LOL!

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote