Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th February 2020, 10:35   #21
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
Funny how different cars are, my cars 18 years old and no roof sagging yet? i wonder if you use them alot it helps as my Rover 75 is run off the planet with miles and miles per week, or is it stationary barely used cars roof sags that go?? there is the question?

heavy use or no use or is it just pot luck?? but i find that hard to believe at the same factory fitting centre.
Maybe condensation plays a part. In cold weather a lot of water forms on the underside of the metal roof* and some of it ends up on the upper surface of the headlining. If you unclip the front interior lamp cluster and shine a torch in you can sometimes see it.

(* Particularly the three sections between the cross-members).

The only cure I can think of is to cover the underside of the metal roof with self-adhesive foam sheet. The factory fitted two pieces of sound-deadening foam on the rear section and I've noticed that no water ever forms on them. Foam sheet won't work on the cross-members though because of their shape.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 16:54   #22
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

think the trim sagging is a combination of both heat and moisture.
Over here in Australia almost all the 75s ive seen have sagging headliners and door panels.
Having re trimmed about 5 of these cars, it appears the glue they (and others) used was not great and dries and crumbles into a sticky goo.
It was sort like a thin foam backing with a glue that was pre applied to the fabric by the fabric maker or sprayed on in the factory and seems to have reacted with the foam backing.
When doing any panels with this glue on, you need to strip every bit of it off before re gluing.
I found a stiff brush with some detergent gets most of it off.
If your re gluing, use a high quality spray glue with high temp specs.
Headliners are lots of fun doing them by yourself!!
A pillars easy, B pillars tricky, C , easy, door panel inserts a little tricky around the arm rests.
Make sure the material you get is a stretchable foam backed material.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2020, 10:19   #23
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default Headliner Cloth.

Heating doesn’t kill the roof linings, I have my heating on full tilt and the liner on my 75 is in great condition.

The ZT on the other hand is a different story, the liner is very saggy, the ZT suffered water ingress in the boot area over a long period of time, I wonder if the dampness is a factor?
Old 13th February 2020, 12:37   #24
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
.... I wonder if the dampness is a factor?
Well it definitely gets wet in there (condensation on metal roof above). Unclip the lamp cluster on a cold night and you'll feel it on the first roof panel back from the front strengthening bar.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 07:14   #25
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

High external temperature (not the heater obviously) kills the roof linings and door cards. Here, in Italy most of the cars have linings and door cards totally shot (not to mention the A pillar covers...). My 10 year old tourer was totally shot and she has always been garaged during the nights, the weekends, and, anyway, never left outside if not necessary. I've imported a Tourer for spares from UK (she has never been garaged) and lining and door cards were perfect!
Same applies for my saloon imported from Belgium: door cards and lining like new.
As for the cloth I've tried several suppliers from UK and Italy and none was a perfect match in terms of colour and material so, the question is, who supplied the cloth (or headliners) to MG Rover during production?

Last edited by vilas66; 14th February 2020 at 07:17..
vilas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 16:31   #26
Blower 4.6
Regular poster

MG ZT V8 Supercharged

I have found another supplier in Birmingham and have sent of a piece,and now waiting for some samples ..hopefully somewhere near if not a perfect match,as and when I will post up my results.
Blower 4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2022, 17:31   #27
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

So i think is time to resurrect this thread. My Tourer is, again, saggy: swapped original one some years ago with a good used one but now, once again, gone so the only option now is to recover with new fabric.
Anyone, in any side of the world found a perfect or near perfect match for headlining fabric?
THX
Old 26th October 2022, 18:40   #28
JerseySteve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Insulation above?

Anyone tried/considered applying insulation directly above the headliner, ie directly to the metal roof, or even possibly to the upside/top of the headliner "frame" to reduce heat transmission?
JerseySteve is offline   Reply With Quote