Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2012, 22:30   #21
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

It is very upsetting Jim that you lost your friend in a senseless accident. My sympathies are with you and his family.

Out here, when a learner passes, they have to drive with a green L plate.

The down side of driving in certain parts of Africa, I have had to learn to drive defensively as some of the people drive in an aggressive and hostile manner, such as trying to force one off the road, drive through red lights, tail gate, driving without lights on at night ahhh! ...but come to think of it, this also happens in the UK. A universal problem. I do not have a solution sadly.

I am sorry for your loss.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 17:22   #22
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Interesting comments, all heartfelt and much about older drivers losing their faculties and causing bad accidents, despite a lifetime's experience.

It would appear that experience is trumped by age? Don't think so: too much of a generalisation? And not entirely borne out by the evidence. I would have thought that just about everyone could be taken by surprise at some time or another on a journey, we are lucky when a shunt is avoided. A split second is all it takes, aged or not.

The insurance companies appear to think differently as well. The age group in which the vast majority of accidents happen? Under 25 years old. Let's not succumb to the blame game without the benefit of accurate stats - all that happens is the wrong target is aimed at, leading to no change.

Could be that the test, although having been up-graded, has not kept pace with vehicle power. True, brakes have improved as well but they are not a lot of use at 80mph in a 1200 cc DOHC bullet with a grinning yob behind the wheel running on the unleaded exuberance of youth. There is a huge difference between zippy and dippy.

So, a new test, then every 10 years to 70, then every 3 years thereafter?

Last edited by wraymond; 14th February 2012 at 17:25..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 22:32   #23
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Many thanks for all your comments but I still believe driving standards have worsened over the years.

20 years ago you very seldom spotted a car running a red light.
Today at almost every set of traffic lights if you just look for a few moments and count the number running red lights.

On Sunday when travelling along a main route I found myself behind a small hatch back with 3 youths in it. They were deliberatly holding back the traffic at 40-45 mph then when approaching a round-a-bout they took off at speed as there was an overtaking lane immediately after the round-a-bout. They then reduced their speed again causing a huge tail back.
I only just manages to overtake them on the next overtaking lane with them now up to 70mph then after I had passed them they dropped their speed back yet again. A few miles further on I could see no traffic behind me for about 3 miles then this huge congo line of traffic.

Finally on my way to a meeting last night on approaching a set of temporary lights for some water work repairs they were clearly at green so I proceeded with caution only to be met by some moron coming straight for me. I braked so hard my ABS cut in and didn't even get the time to take note of what kind of car or the driver but he missed me by a whisker.
Had I been running through the green light at the same speed as the other driver I might just have been having a chat with my friend just now.

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 19:12   #24
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Interesting comments, all heartfelt and much about older drivers losing their faculties and causing bad accidents, despite a lifetime's experience.

It would appear that experience is trumped by age? Don't think so: too much of a generalisation? And not entirely borne out by the evidence. I would have thought that just about everyone could be taken by surprise at some time or another on a journey, we are lucky when a shunt is avoided. A split second is all it takes, aged or not.

The insurance companies appear to think differently as well. The age group in which the vast majority of accidents happen? Under 25 years old. Let's not succumb to the blame game without the benefit of accurate stats - all that happens is the wrong target is aimed at, leading to no change.

Could be that the test, although having been up-graded, has not kept pace with vehicle power. True, brakes have improved as well but they are not a lot of use at 80mph in a 1200 cc DOHC bullet with a grinning yob behind the wheel running on the unleaded exuberance of youth. There is a huge difference between zippy and dippy.

So, a new test, then every 10 years to 70, then every 3 years thereafter?
Just to add a little bit to your comments re, age related driving. It does seen that insurance companies generally think older drivers are a good risk and the premiums reflect this.
I pay 128 quid fully comp for the 150 mph road rocket that I ride about on !!!
Also, happily, I have never had an accident with anyone or made a claim.
I too think it is mainly the 'I'm going to live forever' youngsters that cause the most chaos, not us oldies.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 21:25   #25
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

the trouble is the test isnt hard enough nor does it involve driving at speed ,far too many learners pass their test and the same day they go down a motorway at crazy speeds driving a performance car .i think motorway driving should be included in a test and the test should be in 3 parts .pass your test then you can drive up to a 1200 cc engine car for a year, also as part of the testthere should be a video of the carnage stupid driving causes , oh and it should cost alot more to get your licence then maybe people would drive with more care so not to lose the licence .... the standard of the school of motoring sucks ,,, there are too many rear shunts due to being taught to brake late when coming up to lights or crossings . when i leant to drive useing the gears to take of some speed .ie you would change up a gear when approaching lights or a crossing and lift off the throttle a bit ... still i guess its cos the little bloke in brussels that tells us whayt laws we can have wont change anything ...
oh and im sorry for your loss op ....totally an avoidable incident.... i think its the old case of no deterents in place ... if peope knew they would get 25 years by causing death by reckless driving it would stop alot of morons that drive on our roads ..... also the they need to sort the licence so it is impossible to forge one and that would stop all these licenses that are being bought right now .....
Old 16th February 2012, 09:32   #26
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Just to add a little bit to your comments re, age related driving. It does seen that insurance companies generally think older drivers are a good risk and the premiums reflect this.
I pay 128 quid fully comp for the 150 mph road rocket that I ride about on !!!
Also, happily, I have never had an accident with anyone or made a claim.
I too think it is mainly the 'I'm going to live forever' youngsters that cause the most chaos, not us oldies.

Colvert.
I must agree
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote