Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd May 2015, 23:04   #51
Damian-c15
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thumbs up

Many thanks Arctic for the link have just ordered one now...

Last edited by Damian-c15; 2nd May 2015 at 23:05.. Reason: spelling
Damian-c15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 02:18   #52
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwirover View Post
Hi Keith - Hopefully this helps - at least until I take my rear seat out again and get another photo.
The top of the early one is quite different to that of the later units. And the part number is clearly visible on the label. The most obvious difference are the two large moulded “loops” or finger holds on each side of the top - I guess to help remove/fit it. These are not on the later unit.

I have taken the liberty of including the photo Chris75 provided which shows the top of the early filter unit reasonably clearly. The photos used in the Haynes manual are of the later type.

Sorry to resurrect this thread after so long but I am sure it still gets lots of reads.
I checked my fuel filter today to see if it needed the Orange (now white) clip. The sources that I found said the change was in late 2001, however my ZT left Longbridge on 16 January 2002 and it had the old style filter.
This saved me pulling the filter assembly out of the tank and installing the clip and viton O-Ring which I bought off E-Bay, which was a good thing. FWIW the E-bay seller e-mails buyers a very good instruction sheet.
For reference my filter is the same as the one shown above, only black. (Must have been the MG Sports and Racing version! )
I hope that this saves others the need to pull out their seat base to see which filter is fitted!

Edit: The clip seller's E-bay name is "bizzylizzy_2013" Check out his other items for a range of fuel line viton o-rings for 75/ZT as well as Tourer rear light clips. He is a quick shipper and everything is professionally packaged.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 24th June 2020 at 02:33..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 19:56   #53
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread after so long but I am sure it still gets lots of reads.
I checked my fuel filter today to see if it needed the Orange (now white) clip. The sources that I found said the change was in late 2001, however my ZT left Longbridge on 16 January 2002 and it had the old style filter.
This saved me pulling the filter assembly out of the tank and installing the clip and viton O-Ring which I bought off E-Bay, which was a good thing. FWIW the E-bay seller e-mails buyers a very good instruction sheet.
For reference my filter is the same as the one shown above, only black. (Must have been the MG Sports and Racing version! )
I hope that this saves others the need to pull out their seat base to see which filter is fitted!

I'm still getting confused as to which is the early filter and which is the late one as the way I read some of these posts it seems to be contradictory. Also, which is the filter that needs the "orange clip".? I thought this one in the red car was the LATE one that does NOT need the orange clip.

Also, is there yet a third type of filter, as futher fown this series of posts there are two photobucket pictures which show yet another filter design apparently fifferent to both these two. Somebody please explain it to me!
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 13:00   #54
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
I'm still getting confused as to which is the early filter and which is the late one as the way I read some of these posts it seems to be contradictory.
There are two filter module versions. The earlier type does not require the clip to prevent the cap from slackening (the earlier type doesn't have a screw-on cap). It was replaced by the later type around late-2001, but either version may be fitted either side of late-2001. The early type has two lifting loops on the top. It's shown in posts 31, 52 and your own.

The later module requires the Fabled Orange Clip, or whatever alternative is available these days. This module has a screw-on cap that tends to slacken in service. The slackening will prevent the engine from starting or running properly due to loss of fuel pressure (known as Fuel Filter Syndrome or FFS). This later type is recognised by the criss-cross webs on the top. It's shown in posts 5, 34 and 41.

Quote:
Also, is there yet a third type of filter, as futher fown this series of posts there are two photobucket pictures which show yet another filter design apparently fifferent to both these two. Somebody please explain it to me!
There's only two designs as described above. It seems the earlier version may vary in the colour of the plastic casing.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 9th July 2020 at 13:02..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 18:35   #55
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
There are two filter module versions. The earlier type does not require the clip to prevent the cap from slackening (the earlier type doesn't have a screw-on cap). It was replaced by the later type around late-2001, but either version may be fitted either side of late-2001. The early type has two lifting loops on the top. It's shown in posts 31, 52 and your own.

The later module requires the Fabled Orange Clip, or whatever alternative is available these days. This module has a screw-on cap that tends to slacken in service. The slackening will prevent the engine from starting or running properly due to loss of fuel pressure (known as Fuel Filter Syndrome or FFS). This later type is recognised by the criss-cross webs on the top. It's shown in posts 5, 34 and 41.

There's only two designs as described above. It seems the earlier version may vary in the colour of the plastic casing.

TC

Thank you for the explanation. I was confused by the unit shown in post 31, the photo reapeated in post 52 (the small photo) which is presumably the late filter taken from a different angle making it look quite different to other photos which show a web of moulding as you describe. Am I correct in this or is there a third variant?

Doesn't help my problem in having low, sometimes no, pressure even with the pump running continuously. (Early filter in 2001 car).
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 10:33   #56
Scarbs
Loves to post

R75 CDT Connie SE HighLine Saloon

Are you testing the fuel pressure from the engine bay?

Did you know there are two pumps?

Tip: always park away from the majority of users in a car park!
Scarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 10:43   #57
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarbs View Post
Did you know there are two pumps?
Only in the earlier diesels. All petrol models have a single in-tank pump.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote