Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th November 2017, 14:58   #1
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Default 190 coolant capacity and strength

Hi car going into Cossie Duncan for the belts and stat to be done and I have to supply coolant. Now I read that I can use any colour( don’t want to start a war on this) but read up that 25-30% rather than the 50% was the recommended strength, any one back this up ?
Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 18:16   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The Handbook (page 146):http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com...nersmanual.pdf

I'd note the comment on corrosion prevention There's much more to it than than frost protection. Red, blue, green or purple? Your choice.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 19:36   #3
Robti
Posted a thing or two

It was just that I seen it recommended that you only use the lesser concentration % of mix, anyone back this up
Old 27th November 2017, 19:48   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
... read up that 25-30% rather than the 50% was the recommended strength ..
Hi Rob,

The MGR recommended concentration is 50% for corrosion prevention purposes as T-Cut says. Having said that, for the past 30 years I have used 30% concentration in my aluminium SD1 engine and it's come to no harm.

Regarding the 75, the 25 - 30% concentration you have quoted was a suggestion by Jules to try to rule out whether a 50% concentration of OAT was causing 'O' ring failure. This theory has been disproved by the many cars running with 50% OAT and no leakage problems. That also shows that OAT rather than 'blue' antifreeze is not the cause either.

My current theory is that it's the mislocation of the clips on the straight coolant pipe which are responsible for the leakage. My KV6 engine is undergoing a trial to either prove or dismiss this theory.

Simon
Old 28th November 2017, 06:57   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
It was just that I seen it recommended that you only use the lesser concentration % of mix, anyone back this up
There's no officially recognised support for lower concentrations of antifreeze anywhere that I've looked - and I've looked a lot. Personal recommendations are exactly that, so whether you put your faith in those or in motor manufacturers' specifications is entirely your choice. It's worth doing some background reading on antifreeze and survey all the evidence, good and bad, before making up your own mind. Here's an interesting article about Ford. You'll find slightly different perspectives from the European and Japanese manufacturers, so read widely and you'll better understand what people are on about. But to avoid total confusion, avoid car forums!

Ford: http://articles.sae.org/8242/

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 08:41   #6
Robti
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
There's no officially recognised support for lower concentrations of antifreeze anywhere that I've looked - and I've looked a lot. Personal recommendations are exactly that, so whether you put your faith in those or in motor manufacturers' specifications is entirely your choice. It's worth doing some background reading on antifreeze and survey all the evidence, good and bad, before making up your own mind. Here's an interesting article about Ford. You'll find slightly different perspectives from the European and Japanese manufacturers, so read widely and you'll better understand what people are on about. But to avoid total confusion, avoid car forums!

Ford: http://articles.sae.org/8242/

TC
Thanks it was the theory that I read from jules about preventing the leak by reducing the strength, I think I will leave as is and just leave the coolant with Duncan and let him top up

Thanks all for the help
Old 28th November 2017, 10:44   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Simon,
I am not so sure about the straight pipe clips. I thought they were there to allow the pipe to be inserted at the pump end (without the clip) and then to slide into the thermostat (up to the limit set by the clip) and then for the pump end clip to be fitted. The clips themselves do not seem to do any other job than act as a centralising spacer system, not sure whether they have a strong enough grip to limit any sliding to and fro?
K
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 17:49   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Straight pipe clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I am not so sure about the straight pipe clips. I thought they were there to allow the pipe to be inserted at the pump end (without the clip) and then to slide into the thermostat (up to the limit set by the clip) and then for the pump end clip to be fitted.
Well Ken, when I last refitted my straight pipe I did so easily with both clips fitted. I don’t see any need to remove them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
The clips themselves do not seem to do any other job than act as a centralising spacer system, not sure whether they have a strong enough grip to limit any sliding to and fro?
The degree of grip can be increased by squeezing the clip, but let’s wait for the results of my long term experiment shall we. Negative speculation is easy. Predicting the cause of a problem is much more difficult.

Simon
Old 29th November 2017, 15:10   #9
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I do not disagree with that Simon, yes you can keep the clips fitted to the straight pipe and rely upon the angular freedom of the ends when you press the thermostat housing down into position.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 21:41   #10
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Hi car going into Cossie Duncan for the belts and stat to be done and I have to supply coolant. Now I read that I can use any colour( don’t want to start a war on this) but read up that 25-30% rather than the 50% was the recommended strength, any one back this up ?

Thanks

Coolant strength depends on which type of anti freeze you are using and what temperature you wish to protect your engine from.
So you first have to decide which type of coolant you want to use.
Then decide what you think the lowest temperature you think you want to protect from.
Personally I use OAT in the 75s I have and protect down to -40 degrees C.
The choice is purely personal!
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote