Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2020, 19:02   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Used / existing car warranties Good or Bad

I appreciate that this subject is a minefield but doe anyone have any experience or recommendations of buying a fairly comprehensive car warranty for an existing car.

Its not for the Rover but a four year old Vauhall Viva with just 20,000 miles on the clock just coming out of its PCP contract in two months which we are thinking of keeping as its such a good little car.

Anybody have a positive experience of any particular warranty from a firm that they have taken out and had to make use of?

And of course any to stay away from.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 19:20   #2
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

i've always found that when you buy a car with warranty there's always something that goes wrong with the car that the warranty doesn't cover it..it just depends on the dealer and how long the warranty is for rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 19:33   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

In my experience most of these warranties are not worth the cost especially on a car as new with low mileage like this one you are talking about, you are better off putting the money away you would have spend on this warranty and use it if you need too.

Most of these warranties will often find a way of wiggling out of paying for the cost of repairs as you have not maintained the vehicle in a way they think is fit or that part is considered fare ware and tare. A lot of garages will not deal with warranty companies unless you pay and claim the money back.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 19:38   #4
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by markypicks View Post
i've always found that when you buy a car with warranty there's always something that goes wrong with the car that the warranty doesn't cover it..it just depends on the dealer and how long the warranty is for rgds mark
The manufacturers warranty is gone.

I'm talking about whether its worth taking out one of the aftermarket warranties so to speak ( I know that a warranty / insurance is exactly that, sometimes you need to claim and are glad that you took out the thing and often you don't in which case you tend to think 'what if I had saved the premiums' )
Old 26th January 2020, 19:39   #5
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
In my experience most of these warranties are not worth the cost especially on a car as new with low mileage like this one you are talking about, you are better off putting the money away you would have spend on this warranty and use it if you need too.

Most of these warranties will often find a way of wiggling out of paying for the cost of repairs as you have not maintained the vehicle in a way they think is fit or that part is considered fare ware and tare. A lot of garages will not deal with warranty companies unless you pay and claim the money back.

Yup and that's really my question does anybody have any experience of ones that turned out to be fully genuine and fit for purpose or conversely any that turned out to be a barely concealed con?
Old 26th January 2020, 20:15   #6
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Extended warranty

From my experience totally agree it's a waste of money. My mot garage has a link with the rac warranty and a mechanic said he often had to explain to people that a particular fault was not covered when on the face of it the claim seemed appropriate.
donc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 20:20   #7
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Just save the money you would have paid in warranty fees and set it aside for when things do go wrong ?
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 20:31   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

When I bought the Banana I joined Warranty Direct. Absolutely useless company. When Banana suffered HGF they refused to authorise fitting the uprated head gasket as it was deemed to be a “modification” so therefore would not be a standard car anymore. I fought hard but either I paid for the modification out of my own pocket or have the standard gasket fitted which they would be happy to pay for.

It gets worse, whilst my car was off of the road I would get a hire car, Ford Focus, but only for 10 days as that is how long my car would be off of the road. Remembering that I’m fighting the issue about the uprated gasket. By the time I caved in and said ok for the standard gasket to be fitted, 6 days had passed. It took the garage, based in Woodford Essex a further 5 weeks to get the HGF sorted. All sorts of excuses.

Because I refused to give the hire car back until my car was fixed resulted into the threat of a court case. I was prepared to sue them. They finally backed down. But I still had to pay towards the car hire. Just 1 weeks hire, which I agreed to as I just wanted my car back.

When the warranty came up for renewal I told them what they could do with there renewal. They never chased me or made me any “special” offers. And that’s when I discovered MJSAUTOANDMARINE.CO.UK.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 21:28   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

My experience was about 6 years ago but I don think things have changed. I had Saab, after about 4 months I was getting symptoms of Turbo failure. I was told by the warranty company I had to take it to a garage about an hour from my house. The mechanic came out and had a look and agreed the turbo was on its way out. I told him it was under warranty and very quickly he told me they would not cover it unless I had proof the oil had been replaced recently by a garage and even then they would probably make me drive it until it had failed completely.

I was told they could not fit it in for at least a month anyway as the warranty company were very bad payers. I rung the warranty company and I was told I could get it done somewhere else, pay for it and then put a claim in for the work.

I got a friends garage to do it for me so I could get an invoice. I submitted the invoice and immediately had a call from them to ask who had authorised the work. Luckily I had there name but was told that person did not have authority to authorise repairs for that amount ( about £550 ).

Anyway after several months and threatening legal action I received a cheque for about half the invoice. I had already given the warranty company by the time they paid about £200
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 22:40   #10
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I have had Warranty Direct cover on my Discovery 3 for a number of years now and cannot fault them apart from getting authorisation can be time consuming. . I have usually used a garage that has direct contact with them which makes it easier to get the authorisation . Over a couple of years I have had a new High pressure injection pump, front and rear diffs and rear propshaft.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote