Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th April 2020, 12:21   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Default 2.0v6 to 1.8 conversion

OK before anyone asks, this is about budget. Finding a 2.0 v6 in Northern Ireland is extremely difficult, and don't wish to break a decent car to get an engine. They fall into two catagory here with v6s sadly. Massive millage and no service history, or massive risk and poor maintenance.

So anyways, I've a 1.8 saloon coming to me shortly which has been basically written off and damaged, however it has a nice low millage engine, and I figured it would be good to drop it into my 2.0 v6 tourer as its going to need other work also.

So here's the question. I know every thing will fit physically and will have cars side by side as I do the swap, but can anyone tell me how much of the looms need changing over? Is there any compatability this way. The 2.0v6 is a late 2002 and the 1.8 is a early 2003. Both are Connie's, air con etc.

Has anyone done it before? I really fancy the idea of a simple 1.8 basic engine in my dover white tourer, as I've already got enough to maintain on my 190 as it comes back to the road shortly.

Ironically I've got clutches, slave, timing belt and water pump kit etc and all sorts sitting ready, and it would be a lot cheaper to do a 1.8 swap.

Regarding ecu etc that side of things isn't an issue.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 19:08   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its the full loom I'm afraid, that's every wire from the donor car into the new car, I have removed a full loom once, I swore I would never do it again as its a huge task getting everything out in one piece without breaking clips or connectors.

It is possible, but not for the faint hearted.
Old 9th April 2020, 03:27   #3
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Humm, with the car being saloon as opposed to tourer I suppose that makes even more problems.

I had been willing to go as far as pull the dash had I been needed to, I'd hoped the engine loom and loom from fuse box in the engine bay and then from the bay to the internal fuse box would have been enough.

Didn't think you would be going as far as replacing everything.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote