Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th October 2015, 14:58   #1
Skinjam
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club SE 2001

Question Removing EGR Manifold Pipe

Last week I installed the EGR bypass mod to my rover, all was well but the next day it felt at though my turbo was not working as my car had no power and was terrible slow, so I took a look around in the engine and I noticed the pipe that went to the egr before was split, leaking out the gasses, I cut the fabric material that was covering the bendy pipe to see it was barely holding on, so all the gases were just escaping, the reason why my turbo wasn't working.

The kit I purchased included some blanking plates that you could put onto the manifold, but I can't see how I would take the pipe off, I put my car on ramps and I can see where the pipe goes, but it's an arms lengh up to reach it, so I tried putting 3 extension bars onto a socket but it was too awkward to get at really, plus with the pipe in the way I wouldn't be able to undo the top bolt.

Does anyone know what I should do? If I can remove this pipe or is there a permanent way I can block it completely?

I was desperate as I needed to pick up my brother from the airport and this i my only vehicle, so I got a piece of wood, cut it to shape, used some adhesive tap, wrapped it around the wood, hit it into the pipe with a hammer and used a screw to hold it in, and it worked! I did over 170 miles and not had a problem, but no way is it a permanent solution, the first few attempts the piece of wood fired out of my car like a cannon.

Here are some pictures showing the egr, pipe and wood.

Skinjam is offline   Reply With Quote