Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2016, 18:29   #51
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have taken 4x16 forked wheels into City Powder Coating this morning. Met Artic (Steve) while there doing the same thing. I had noticed that while running Two of the forked wheels on the back as against 15 Contours on the front, the 16 forked seemed to send more of a thump through the chassis than the contours, when fitted at the back. I hope I am not going to be disapointed when I get them fitted.
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:02   #52
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I have used budget tyres for many years, the best I have found is the brand Accelera. We can get 18,000 miles over 3 years using 215/55/16's Reinforced on the Ford Galaxy, they have good grip, no road noise, they also have a very nice sporty tread pattern (£55 each).

I've used Accelera's on my other two 75's, 2 years and only 6,000 miles they were still like new, good grip, no road noise, nice sporty tread pattern (£50 each).

I have 18" Michelin's on my ZT, manufactured date 2012, still going strong. I would imagine the Michelin's wear better, last longer and double the mileage (£150 each).

18" Accelera's for the ZT cost £55 each, best of the budgets.

Just dont buy 'Westlake' tyres, they are awful.

Last edited by Dallas; 25th February 2016 at 08:39..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 20:29   #53
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Well Boys & Girls, What a fantastic Post & an equally fanastic response.

It does go to show how far people have come. with regard to 'Wheels' & 'Tyres'.

Of course, most of us on here are members, so we all have the opportunity to pass on our own findings, so that we can make better informed choices, based on good feedback, rather the silly ramblings of the 'Super Duper' tyre Salesman, who don't know his (I quote) 'Health From His Safety'

'Rings of Death', 'Ditchfinders', and most of the unknown brands that are 'Cheaper than Chips'. Who knows what they are like, unless we can benefit from the immense of knowledge on 'This Forum'.

Lack of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and when I was very, very. young, I must admit I was interested in having the tyres on my 1934 Austin 7 'Recut,' because the tread had disappeared. The other choice was to have a tread glued back on. off course this was pre MOT Days.

So, with a lot of help from our 'Club'', I now have a very reliable Rover 75, without some of the 'dodgy' Tyres - Wheels - Brakes - Lights - etc that we all hear about.

Good Post This, and a good 'Club' with a mine of information., which can only be attrubuted to you lot

trimani (ALF)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 20:53   #54
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I had 15" wheels on my car when I bought it, now have 16" as the car seemed to hit nearly every hump in the road quite badly, now with 16" find the ride is slightly firmer, but I had my springs sorted around the same time so could be either of the two.

Do I dare say that I've been running a pair of Triple A tyres which are purported to be rings of death but had them on for a year now with no ill effects and they have better grip than the Michelin tyres I had on there before! and they have a better efficiency rating apparently. I only got them as a stop gap measure until I could afford better tyres, but any who not being an issue now and with the treads still good wont change them for a little while longer. (I didn't know how bad they apparently were until I read some negative comments on here about them last month...but now have my own opinion).

Not saying you should do what I've done but to say that cheap tyres are not all bad (by the way I check for bulges and other anomalies every couple of weeks!)

Mind you I won't be getting them again as they seem to need pumping up more often than the Michelin's.

Anyway people use the information you have before making these decisions and get within your budget without having to take out a loan or breaking your back.
Old 24th February 2016, 00:47   #55
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
We would need to know the detailed circumstances of the accident before apportioning blame. The cause could have been excessive speed for the conditions, a braking fault, the actions of a third party ....etc.
No third party, just a damp road, slight bend, 35MPH, dramatic understeer, followed by a 360 degree spin then into a tree.....written off

How do I know what speed? because the battery was obliterated in the accident leaving the stepper motor of the speedometer "frozen"

You could of course ask Trikey, as he bought the Le Mans green ZT from the poor unfortunate chap in order to break it for spares

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
And therein lies the "brand loyalty" which Alf described. Why would you be "skimping" by fitting Chinese tyres? I could argue that the tyres' performance is the same; you're just paying extra to support an established multi-national company with a huge advertising budget.

Simon
There is a reason that "premium" tyres are dearer, try fitting some cheap tyres to your car and place a decelerometer in your passenger footwell and brake from 70MPH.

Now repeat with a set of decent rubber fitted, and note the difference, I have as I own a Tecalemit pendulum decelerometer, and for that reason I won't fit cheap tyres

Remember the contact area of the average tyre is the size of the palm of your hand, multiply this by four and that is all that is between you and disaster when the unexpected happens.

Sure enough cheap tyres may perform reasonably well under normal driving conditions, but when that child runs out in front of you in the rain, what would you prefer, being able to stop in time, or the alternative.

Sobering thought when you save thirty or forty quid a corner on your tyres

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 02:24   #56
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
My Toledo that I have as a taxi has 215 45 16 tyres and I can get tyres for that for £80 for the pair, I got 5 225 45 18 for £225 last year.
Blimey, you still use a Triumph Toledo as a taxi?
I always thought they had 13" wheels

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 05:50   #57
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default garage owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I got a full set of 15" BCT (Beijing Capital Tyre) tyres on my Chevy about three years ago, they're as good now as the day I had them fitted. Cost £208 fitted, balanced, new valve & a small charge for disposal of old tyres. I've been more than happy with them.

Thank you for being honest

Hi all
Not getting into arguments regarding tyres and everyone is entitled to their opinion but i have a friend who runs his own successful MOT station and repair centre and he is running these tyres on several vehicles including a Vectra
I have driven this vehicle and found the tyres to be fine in all weathers , i know the tyre supplier / fitter (not the garage above) and he has found customers returning asking for the same tyres

Please feel free to buy the tyres you desire be it part worn or otherwise but lets not let this thread turn into a my tyres are better than your tyre thread.
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 06:21   #58
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

So there it is.
Thanks Steve.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 06:40   #59
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
So there it is.
Thanks Steve.
Ken.
For what Ken? commending your choice of poor quality tyres

Mind you, as you posted in an earlier thread you only did 250 miles in your car last year, having four remoulds stuffed with straw would have probably sufficed

With 15" wheels a set of four Dunlop Fast Response tyres cost me £220, how much were your Jinyu plastic tyres? £35 each

This was originally a thread about how nice 15" wheels were, and the relatively low cost of tyres, so what's your excuse for fitting one of the worst tyres in history, to this size wheel?

All the best

Matey Matington Mateswell III
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 06:43   #60
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default 15 inch Tyres

Ive owned my Connie for 12 years and am unable to compare the ride, but tyre replacement cost is noticeable. I've re-shod my car with a set of new All-Season Michelins for less than £240!

My second hand tyres are advertised on the Member's Spares for sale Forum, should anyone be interested in them...

Low profile tyres are merely a means for the tyre companies to increase profit on cars and they increase risk from kerb damage!
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote