Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2016, 16:55   #21
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Use the OBD in 4.0 ,you'll see your momentary fuel consumption...edifying !

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...rd+diagnostics

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 17:14   #22
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Hmm, I think I'm quite good at the old economy driving - lifting off early rather than braking, not indulging in 0-60 derbies etc, and as I say the majority of my mileage is rural. I generally do between 80-90 miles a week, and only about 10 or 11 miles of that goes through any sort of urban (30mph) zone. Most of the time it's just me in the car, too. Any additional longer trips with the other half on board are of necessity on motorways/dual carriageways.

Ultimately I can't get away from the fact that my driving style is the same for both cars, yet the difference in fuel consumption is so markedly different.

I'll give the OBD a go - is that up to 19 first and then 4, or just up to 4 and leave it? EDIT I see it's the former, thanks.
A Nigerian mother of three

Last edited by andymc; 26th January 2016 at 17:17..
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 17:17   #23
Spenrex
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

19 and then 4
Old 29th January 2016, 13:19   #24
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Ok, I'm fairly sure I've solved this.

I had decided I was going to stop with the pussyfooting around trying to eke out the fuel, and instead to drive the car to its abilities for a bit to see what more normal driving would do to the fuel economy. Only ... it felt a bit like driving through treacle. In fact, at one stage I found myself dropping into fourth to get past a van that was doing slightly less than 50mph. Today, it was even more sluggish again - then after a short while the ABS warning light came on. Back to ultra-cautious driving mode!

Got back home and the front O/S wheel was warm to the touch, even though this run had been less than five miles. With the car jacked up and in neutral, it was an effort to spin the front wheel. Trundled round to the local garage for a more expert opinion and came away with the recommendation that the front calipers need to be replaced, along with new discs & pads. Obviously my efforts at light-footed driving in recent days had actually masked the lack of responsiveness! The car had only had new front pads back in early October or thereabouts but the caliper sticking has started an uneven wear pattern, so better to get it all done again.

Hopefully this will be the root of the excessive fuel consumption - looking forward to getting 75mpg soon ...
Old 29th January 2016, 15:48   #25
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Another data point for people searching for MPG questions .

My 2001 CDT Connie SE has had EGR bypass, recent fuel pumps (both) and a forte injector clean. Running temps range from 84-86 and I've just done a brim to brim check to see how accurate my IPK is. The weather meant my FBH was used everyday including 15 minutes each morning before starting the car. IPK said 46.3 calculated mpg was 45.9 for a mixture of town and A roads no motorway, school runs plus longer journeys over a week of driving 500 miles +

Happy with that, only about 5 mpg less than my A3 1.9tdi which was a much smaller car 8 years younger and no FBH.

Gordon

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 15:57   #26
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I have fun with my car - CDTi auto 160map - and I get an average of about 36mpg. If I sit on a motorway at about the speed limit I get 46 which is fine. I need to fit a new MAF though but as diesel is the same price as petrol at the moment whatever, I've never owned a decent 2+ litre petrol car with similar torque that could match those figures so I'm happy
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 17:03   #27
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Ok, I'm fairly sure I've solved this.

I had decided I was going to stop with the pussyfooting around trying to eke out the fuel, and instead to drive the car to its abilities for a bit to see what more normal driving would do to the fuel economy. Only ... it felt a bit like driving through treacle. In fact, at one stage I found myself dropping into fourth to get past a van that was doing slightly less than 50mph. Today, it was even more sluggish again - then after a short while the ABS warning light came on. Back to ultra-cautious driving mode!

Got back home and the front O/S wheel was warm to the touch, even though this run had been less than five miles. With the car jacked up and in neutral, it was an effort to spin the front wheel. Trundled round to the local garage for a more expert opinion and came away with the recommendation that the front calipers need to be replaced, along with new discs & pads. Obviously my efforts at light-footed driving in recent days had actually masked the lack of responsiveness! The car had only had new front pads back in early October or thereabouts but the caliper sticking has started an uneven wear pattern, so better to get it all done again.

Hopefully this will be the root of the excessive fuel consumption - looking forward to getting 75mpg soon ...
75 mpg----Wow.

I tried for that but all I got was the figure in the pic. below. ( At 40 mph. )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MILES per gallon. Lol..jpg (126.7 KB, 30 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 17:34   #28
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
75 mpg----Wow.

I tried for that but all I got was the figure in the pic. below. ( At 40 mph. )

Whaou John ...4.4 litres/100 km ....give me the recipe please
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 17:37   #29
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Eh, I may not have been completely serious about the 75 mpg there ...

Old 24th February 2016, 11:39   #30
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Hi,,Last sunday I did a trip to London ,,going down I could not hang around so had to "boot it" ( about 80) coming back stuck the CC on and cruised at 60..I brimmed the tank at Sleaford and again in London and it worked out at 41mpg,returning and brimmed again in Sleaford it worked out at just 50mpg..Not bad for an auto !!! Just rereading this post again you would think it took ages to get back to Sleaford,,not really,I never timed it but driving ecomomicly does not cost you that much more time,at least when I drive at night,,regards

Last edited by lipsee; 24th February 2016 at 11:43..
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote