Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th March 2016, 09:08   #51
Elliott
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

My personal feeling is that (and i'm not being racist or phobic) but with our English heritage we aspire to leather and wood etc... opulence, solid luxury.

We are not German, Swedish, French or Italian etc.... They have stayed true to what is their styles but the English cars have lost their way and suffered for it. Sadly most car magazines are pro German.

I have owned many cars and Always seem to come back to Rovers, After I owned my P5b coupe 20 years ago, very few cars have aspired me to just stand and look at the car at the details the lines etc.. but the 75 after its washed gets the same attention. Like I said just my opinion not meant to offend
Old 12th March 2016, 10:15   #52
First_damned
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi

I'm now 31 and own a 75. I was about 28/29 when I got my first rover 75. The one I've got now is my second
First_damned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 12:30   #53
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Find over here as they were never a common car people are just realizing what great value they are as can be evidenced by the age of a couple of people locally who I know have just bought Rover 75s, one being a young guy early 20s s who has a 75 and a zt and young girl about 28ish has a really nice Royal blue one in mint condition.
Spoke to her and she said she had never seen such a beautiful car with so many options for so little money and stated she gets people asking her alot what sort of car it is.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 13:25   #54
iandux
Loves to post

At last....75 Facelift Connie

Grandad car?........with a 160 remap?.........are you kidding?

• This vehicle was the 96,129th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 2,123rd 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
  • This vehicle was the 394th 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
iandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 14:02   #55
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Old man's car?

I receive these comments too. I've owned my 75 CDT for 12 years, longer than any previous set of wheels; two, three of four. (I commenced with a single cylinder 174cc Heinkel bubble car.) It is the most economical, most comfortable, most commodious car and best equipped car I've driven. (The bubble car could only manage 50mpg and 50mph!)

The Connie was 18 months old when I bought it and literally everything still functions as it should. So what's not to like or respect in a car like that? It has now done 120000 miles and 45000 I've done in the last three years.

It about other people's perception because "it came from the same stable as the Austin Allegro, therefore it must be rubbish."

My car is worth very little now but to replace with something of comparable specification would require to fund the difference between what it is worth - perhaps £1500, at most and £45000. It's easy maths to realise it just doesn't add up. The mist in the eyes obscures common-sense when one has a three-pointed star or on the bonnet or another Kraut box, and I think Mercs are generally ugly.

Let's enjoy what others mock! (I'm now 60 and my 75 year-old Dad - then -was critical of my decision to buy.) A Tesla might make me think somewhat differently, at least that is buying into what may represent the future of motoring...
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 16:45   #56
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

I reckon the 75 is perceived more as a grandad car than the ZT, with its old fashioned styling etc.. and as some say - it is also colour dependent. And I have to say that my dad doesn't help the 75 get out of this perception by the way he drives in his 75.. lol..

But, I do prefer the 75 to the ZT even so. but, would love a ZT sometime. And I will get one.. someone may get a treat one day..

but at the end of the day.. does it matter what people think.. no.. not at all...

we love em...
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 17:06   #57
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Of course the '75 is for Grandads.
My eldest Grand child is 31 and I have 5 in total along with 7 GREAT grand kids and another on the way.

They love my 75 and always pass comment as to it's luxury when they ride in it.
So far not one of them has asked me to drop them around the corner so their mates don't see!
Old 13th March 2016, 14:46   #58
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Reading this thread, I just realised that having owned my 75 from new for 12 years I traded it in just at the point I became a grandad. I decided I needed car that more accurately reflected the fact that I was a poor old pensioner and surely nothing shouts out poor old pensioner like a BMW estate, unless it is a 320D when you know the driver has a boot full of samples!

I confess I do enjoy winding up BMW drivers on their forum with my views that BMWs are marketed to the pretentious poor as it appears most "owners" are merely renting their cars. My view is that if you can't afford to pay cash for your car then you can't afford it and are wasting money you don't have.

I know owning a new car has the financial penalty of depreciation but hanging onto our 75 for 12 years meant that annual depreciation was well under £2k a year and surely a modest price for such a fine car.

I have also reached the stage in life where I realise that if I don't start wasting money then shortly the kids and taxman will be and surely that is justification enough. Another justification I love is the thought that any money I leave will be taxed at 40% IHT so any money I spend now is getting a 40% discount from the Government. We used to fly Business Class on our annual long haul holidays but using the 40% discount thought last year we flew First with BA in an A380 to Singapore - NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- marvellous!
Old 13th March 2016, 17:44   #59
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Well I'm mid 50's but, of course, REAL age = 13 & 3/4 so quite a youngish start to my '75' career!

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 18:50   #60
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Whoops, oh poppycock. Washing and drying my latest acquisition, I suppose it is permanent ( 1.8T Tourer in BRG), and a nice lady neighbour said "They are a really smart car, it makes the street look better, and I always regard them as a distinguished gentlemans car!" I don't really know how to take that?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote