Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2016, 08:04   #21
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Electrical drain

Do you have the Sat Nav drive in the rear offside? This can sometimes remain live (red neon light remains on) when the ignition is switched off. I had a solenoid installed in the feed when this was the cause of my battery being flattened.
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:36   #22
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Bigal,,, yes we do and I will be checking it later as Greeners has suggested in his earlier post! Even if it isn't the cause of the problem, it will be left unplugged, as we don't use it .....
MrSooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 12:07   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSooty View Post
Even if it isn't the cause of the problem, it will be left unplugged, as we don't use it .....
Why unplug it then? If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but my advice would be to leave it connected. It will keep the mechanicals in good order, will be available if your hand-held unit crashes, and when you eventually sell the car the new owner won't be on this forum asking why his sat. nav. doesn't work!

But do one thing at a time. Have you tried the glow plug module fuse yet? You seem to be keen on blaming the sat. nav. because you don't like it! It's easy to check this without unplugging anything; just watch to see if the red LED extinguishes after about a minute as previously advised.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 3rd May 2016 at 12:10..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 12:29   #24
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSooty View Post
Thanks Bigal,,, yes we do and I will be checking it later as Greeners has suggested in his earlier post! Even if it isn't the cause of the problem, it will be left unplugged, as we don't use it .....
Looking for the cause of a discharge, once you are sure you have one, is a process of elimination, a bit of patience, knowledge and having the right equipment..

I detailed it here... http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...discharge+test

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:35   #25
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

My sat nav drive was draining the battery even though it turned the red light off correctly......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 15:03   #26
le-sabre
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

I had the same problem some time ago, it turned out to be the Sat Nav DVD unit the back.
It seems to happen after a common water ingress , you can probably see the water marks left on the cover. As it's been said, it's an easy test to unplug it and see how it pans out and it's free of course.
I did get deeper and cured the problem by stripping the unit down and found a ribbon cable that gets all "furred" up causing a poor connection. I posted a guide on how to do it on the forum. I'll see if I can find it and post the link. If you don't use the Sat Nav then nothing to lose either by testing it unplugged or stripping it down. Got to less trouble that going straight to glowplugs

John

Ski Blue, Climate control, sunroof, rain sensor, headlamp washer, parking sensors, Xenon, Blue Alcantera/leather, 18" Gridspoke

This vehicle was the 1st ZT-T in Ski Blue (code: JHI) to be made out of 3 Ski Blue ZT-Ts & the only diesel ZT-T in Ski Blue.
This vehicle was the 7,369th ZT-T to run off the production line, out of 8,249
This vehicle was the 2,352nd ZT-T CDTi + (135) to be made out of 2,795
le-sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 22:28   #27
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Just a footnote to close this thread on a positive note - the problem was eventually identified as as poor connection on the alternator, which has now been fitted securely and we have not had any repeat of the problem!

Both the Battery and the Alternator are in good shape and performing as expected.

My take away from this latest round of expense and motoring aggravation - place no reliance whatsoever on diagnostic advice given by the AA patrols.

Thanks as always to club members for their advice and support.

Spain awaits - adios amigos!
Old 13th May 2016, 22:49   #28
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Thanks for the update Des - Safe journey
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:37   #29
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks David - We made it back to Spain ok - The car runs very nicely, gearbox lovely and smooth and the new lower engine mount has made such a difference! :-)

No complaints from our Daughter, who is using Chris's car currently - complete with a nice new set of Injectors!

Best wishes