Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2016, 23:40   #1
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Default Diesel engine flush

Hi Folks,,,My 2001 diesel auto is abit slow ,and as I try to get the best ecomomy by running at 2000 rpm I figure it maybe getting abit gummed up....Soooooooooo I decided to treat it to a flushing out...(at least when I next do the oil change) So guys/gals school me on engine flushing,,,tell us how you clean your engine??? what products and how often do you do this task...in advance thanks Phil
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 01:32   #2
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
Hi Folks,,,My 2001 diesel auto is abit slow ,and as I try to get the best ecomomy by running at 2000 rpm I figure it maybe getting abit gummed up....Soooooooooo I decided to treat it to a flushing out...(at least when I next do the oil change) So guys/gals school me on engine flushing,,,tell us how you clean your engine??? what products and how often do you do this task...in advance thanks Phil
When I do an oil change I add a tin of Millars first and run the engine to clear any gunk etc. I also use injector cleaner to fill my fuel filter when changing that, fill filter, run engine for a minute so it enters the system, shut down and leave over night so it can do its job.

I also had a Terraclean performed last year and initially the car seemed a lot smoother but that could've been a placebo effect lol...

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 05:13   #3
muggerbee
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer (04),75 Saloon (04)

terraclean = edd chyna snake oil

2004 Connie SE Tourer Cdti
muggerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 08:07   #4
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
When I do an oil change I add a tin of Millars first and run the engine to clear any gunk etc. I also use injector cleaner to fill my fuel filter when changing that, fill filter, run engine for a minute so it enters the system, shut down and leave over night so it can do its job.

I also had a Terraclean performed last year and initially the car seemed a lot smoother but that could've been a placebo effect lol...
So you add this millars with the old oil then run(that does not sound right) I like the idea of using injector cleaner...Terraclean !! Ill have too google that never heard of it...
Old 6th May 2016, 09:59   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If it is running a bit sluggish then could be the MAF is on the way out. Only replace with the correct genuine Bosch part.

As long as they are regularly serviced as per the schedule and using quality oil and filters they shouldn't sludge up. My engine has done just over 375k miles & never seen a Terraclean yet. Still runs fine.

Do give it a good thrash through the revs every now and again once the engine is up to temperature - it blows the soot out.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 6th May 2016 at 10:01..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 10:39   #6
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I agree with mike above! Try unplugging your maf to see if that improves things, personally with my 130K CDT, I would never shove engine flush in it as there is a chance you can damage the engine (Occasionally sludge helps compress the engine parts, seals damaged seals and helps your engine run better, don't take it from me do research and more research on this as there is so much info on google that will tell you not to do this to an old engine!)

If you have had the engine from new and flush regularly then it's a different story!

I change my oil every 6,000 miles or when it starts running lumpy, I have a pump, it's easy as pie to do and the oil is cheap. If you want to flush your engine, get some cheapo oil, drain the engine and refresh the oil and take it for a spirited drive and then drain from the sump (this also flushes the oil out of the cooler and other oil ways!), put fresh premium grade oil in afterwards and you should flush out most of the nasty's without the chance of damage and still leave the good sludge to do its work sealing up the important parts on your inside of your engine (just make sure you replace the filter with the change before you put you premium oil in and you're fine)

I know there are some on here that have used flushing products and swear by them, but each to the own!

Last edited by maxxpump; 6th May 2016 at 15:37..
maxxpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 10:39   #7
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If it is running a bit sluggish then could be the MAF is on the way out. Only replace with the correct genuine Bosch part.

As long as they are regularly serviced as per the schedule and using quality oil and filters they shouldn't sludge up. My engine has done just over 375k miles & never seen a Terraclean yet. Still runs fine.

Do give it a good thrash through the revs every now and again once the engine is up to temperature - it blows the soot out.
Sorry Mike,but can you explain what the MAF is??? Yes I agree with the part about giving a good thrash (Shadys of Bazzil Faulty),,
Old 6th May 2016, 10:46   #8
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

the MAF sensor is connected just after the air filter and is near the word "maf sensor" in this picture:

It senses the amount of air coming into the engine and has a habit of failing! especially with a car around 100k
Old 6th May 2016, 12:39   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep they tend to under read with age - makes it feel like the engine needs a de-coke.

Try running with it unplugged and see if that improves things.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 21:56   #10
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Thanks for that bit of info Mike and Max,,I,ll have a look and see,,and maybe disconnnect...as for the flush,,I have done before using diesel,but the car was a clapped out banger,,do,nt want to damage this one,,so I think I,ll just use injector cleaner and regular oil changes,,,Thanks again for all the replys...Phil