Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th May 2016, 10:59   #11
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

153k miles and all is well.. i do have a slight whine though, which i believe to be the aux tensioner so i'll be getting a new belt/water pump kit in the next few months.
Check you aren't getting injector blow back, its rare but the copper washers "can" fail and obviously as the block/head warms the gap is closed and the noise goes away.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 11:31   #12
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The water pump can make a similar noise when it has play in the pulley.

Easily felt once the belt is off.
On mine I don't think that it's the waterpump mate as I fitted a brand new one with thermostat that I got from DMGRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
153k miles and all is well.. i do have a slight whine though, which i believe to be the aux tensioner so i'll be getting a new belt/water pump kit in the next few months.
Check you aren't getting injector blow back, its rare but the copper washers "can" fail and obviously as the block/head warms the gap is closed and the noise goes away.
Again on mine I'm pretty certain that it's not the injectors as the sound is definitely coming from the belt as it revolves around the pulleys and it seems to be a stronger coming from the PAS area.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 11:54   #13
andrewinpopayan
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT manual tourer SE with farkles

Maybe it's the PRV in the PAS pump, when the fluid is cold it will be thicker and have higher pressure causing the valve to "let off"

Bodges and "quick fixes" have a nasty habit of reminding you at the MOST inconvenient AND expensive time that you should have done the job properly in the first place.!
andrewinpopayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 14:23   #14
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewinpopayan View Post
Maybe it's the PRV in the PAS pump, when the fluid is cold it will be thicker and have higher pressure causing the valve to "let off"
Now that could be a likely possibility as all the pulleys appear to be ok and the belt itself looks well aligned going round. My PAS resevoir did overflow the other week and I haven't had chance yet to take it off and flush it out incase any gunk is fouling the gauze/strainer/filter preventing the fluid from circulating quicker from the reservoir than it gets returned.

I have a few hours spare tomorrow afternoon so I will put that at the top of my to do list.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
Old 6th May 2016, 11:22   #15
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Thanks guys. Will have a look at it.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 16:14   #16
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Thanks guys. Will have a look at it.
Hi Ravinder,

Apologies for jumping on your thread, sometimes I think if a car has similar symptoms then it generates a bit of brain storming with possible remedies so more feedback is obtained to find the fix.

Hope you get yours sorted mate.

Lee.

Old 6th May 2016, 22:44   #17
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Many thanks. I hope I do find it. It doesn't actually sound that serious and hasn't affected the car. It was just something that I had noticed recently.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 23:20   #18
saxo1980
Gets stuck in

BMW 118i m sport

turn your fans off and listen to it switch them back on and i bet it comes back its front left blower i would say like but only when cold switch them back on and comes back on ....... best is to just turn your music up lol works better lol cant hear out then .... or is it not your air con worth an little look
saxo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 00:17   #19
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Just incase it is once again my crank pulley I checked through my PayPal/eBay transactions to find out which one and when it was fitted.

The one I bought is from the eBay seller Transitpartscenter and the manufacturer/make is Meso. It came with a 2yr/20000 mile guarantee which I thought mileage wise would be fine for me and I had it fitted at the beginning of October....if it is my crank pulley that means it has lasted 7 months and a couple of thousand miles (I was in Antarctica/Southern Ocean from the beginning of November until mid January and my car was used occasionally by family so it hardly had any wear on the pulley).

At least it's still in warranty so I'll get my money back and put it towards a genuine Corteco one.

Lee.

Old 9th May 2016, 07:20   #20
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Noise during tickover

Sounds like a failing dual mass pulley flywheel and I experienced this same noise late last year. I procured OEM parts from Jules who stressed importance of not using pattern parts which can fail after only 10k miles or so.
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote