Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2016, 17:26   #31
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Off topic I know Thomas, but did you find yourself a period in car hands free kit

I know you were after one for your launch car, and I've carefully removed a Nokia kit suitable for a 6310i from my 45 if you still wanted one

Best of luck with your HGV test too.

Brian
I used to have a 6310 knocking around, if you want me to take a look.

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 19:25   #32
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie View Post
I went back and had a word with Chris my trainer and he said that I am doing excellent and I should have more confidence in myself.
Thomas; I reckon that Chris is right. Don't be too hard on yourself. Every operational skill takes years to reach perfection. It sounds as if your instructors know that you are safe and responsible, and that's what matters at this early stage. Keep up the good work!

Simon
Old 12th July 2016, 19:52   #33
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Zero shame in shunting! Practice makes perfect, but it won't guarantee that you get it right first time every time. What are you reversing against? Just cones? That's not going to be easy! Here's the thing - quite often the tighter the space the easier it is. As an example, I once arrived at a depot (I think in Yate) and the concrete area was literally the size of a football pitch and empty. Must have been 50 bays, all empty. They gave me a bay number, and I must have taken 6 or 7 goes to get onto it, as there was nothing to line up against! On the flip side to this, at Tempco Union as was in Gillingham, the bays had pallets stacked between them and there was a fence facing them. Got in first time every time. And on occasion, when other drivers got stuck, I reversed in for them too! When you drop trailers at yards or hire depots, you usually have about 6" either side if lucky, but again, it's a piece of cake (believe me, it will become second nature!)

Get those landing legs down tight and you'll be fine! Once saw a driver drop a loaded trailer at Dover Docks, forget to drop the legs, pull away and.... bang! Took him about half an hour to wind it back up, but he got away with it! On the flip side to this, on one occasion I'd brought back a groupage (mixed) load from Germany, and was dropping the trailer for the weekend, after having tipped all but one item. Said item was metal ingots in four pallets, which had been loaded behind the trailer axles. I'd been forced to tip out of order and so all the weight was at the back. As I pulled the tractor unit off, the front of the trailer went up into the air! Luckily, it was almost counter-balanced, and I was able to pull it back down, although it then went slowly back up again. In the end I realised I could pull it down, run to the back, and pop breeze blocks under the lighting board to hold it in place! (On the Monday when I picked it up, I got a forklift driver to move the metal to the front!)
Thanks for that Dave I really appreciate it.It also made me smile.
Thanks again Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
Goodness me that's a huge lorry

No good me attempting to drive anything like that these days, I will stick to small stuff instead.

I reckon you are doing really well Thomas, don't be too hard on yourself.

It will soon fall into place.
Thanks Neil I appreciate it. Hopefully Thursday I'll be on here with good news
Thanks AGAIN thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snetty View Post
Thomas,
I have been driving these things for 30 years and shunting to get it right is normal, hitting kerbs and getting positioning wrong nothing to be to concerned about either.
Nobody is perfect without making those mistakes you would not learn anything try and not let it dent your confidence.
Thanks I think I'm going to have to think of my little mishaps today as a learning curve.
Thanks again Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
I used to have a 6310 knocking around, if you want me to take a look.

Craig.
Thanks Craig that would be brilliant thanks Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thomas; I reckon that Chris is right. Don't be too hard on yourself. Every operational skill takes years to reach perfection. It sounds as if your instructors know that you are safe and responsible, and that's what matters at this early stage. Keep up the good work!

Simon
Thanks Simon I appreciate it.
I hope on Thursday I'll be on here with good news.
Thanks again Thomas

Last edited by Dragrad; 12th July 2016 at 23:45.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 20:28   #34
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I drove and maintained HGV's for many years and enjoyed almost every minute. They've changed quite a bit from the Atkinson Borderer that I started out on. No synchros, no power steering, no cab suspension - you get my drift. My knees and shoulders still ache when I think about it!

Enjoy the experience and watch out for bikers.
Mike
Atkinson Borderer,Been there done that,,with a Gardiner 180 I think!!! I give up the trucks about 7 yrs ago..I really enjoyed them but to be honest would not go back...Best of luck my old china and remember just go wide....
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote