Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2016, 15:01   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default using a 75 in the arctic circle

I want to take my caravan to the arctic circle and join the blue nose club. I may never get there but i'd like to do some home work on it anyway.

what engine oil should be used? 2L CDT
should I replace the coolant with neat antifreeze or is there a recommended coolant to use? I will be towing a caravan from the south of the uk so will need the coolant to be able to handle this. I will change coolant before and after the trip.

what about brake fluid? is the standard brake fluid already in our cars up to the job?

would I be better to try and get studded tyres or use snow chains

any other recommendations or advice?

thanks

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 15:42   #2
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I want to take my caravan to the arctic circle and join the blue nose club. I may never get there but i'd like to do some home work on it anyway.

what engine oil should be used? 2L CDT
should I replace the coolant with neat antifreeze or is there a recommended coolant to use? I will be towing a caravan from the south of the uk so will need the coolant to be able to handle this. I will change coolant before and after the trip.

what about brake fluid? is the standard brake fluid already in our cars up to the job?

would I be better to try and get studded tyres or use snow chains

any other recommendations or advice?

thanks

macafee2
neat antifreeze will cause more harm than good I think 75-80% is the MAX concentration

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 19:08   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The overriding question is what are the lowest temperatures you're likely to encounter during the season you're there. Standard 50/50 antifreeze mix is good down to -30°C. The engine oil might be better down a notch on viscosity, but depends on what you use now. The brake fluid (DOT4) should be OK as they sell it in Alaska. But more pragmatically, any travel agent for caravanning holidays in the Arctic should be able to advise you. From my brief experience of arctic Finland, things aren't that different really.

Be sure to fit an in-line thermostat!
TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 21:51   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
A good friend of mine (sadly passed) did a good few trips to northern Norway (Nordkapp) towing a caravan behind a Skoda 110LS then a 120LS later on. He drove from Livingston via the channel then up.
Conditions could be bad but rear engined cars grip better than FWD if your climbing hills.
He always carried chains but rarely had to use them. The weather can plummet very quickly and can catch you out with frozen brakes, doors that refuse to open, stiff gearchanges and of course a cold cabin.
Make sure you have an undertray, snow and ice can accumulate in areas you don't see, it can get into wiring looms and cause havoc.
If you are going to change the coolant and increase its antifreeze mix I'd be inclined to use the blue stuff as there is some thought that high percentages of OAT can be damaging. Make sure you're matrix is clear, it the outside temperature is -15c or below a blocked matrix will have you shivering in no time.
Lubricate all the door locks, hinges and make sure the drain holes are clear in the doors, lubricate the door seals with glycerine to stop them sticking to the door in icy weather.

Most of the other stuff is common sense.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 12th December 2016, 22:03   #5
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

We did a road trip..hired car..from Tromso in January 2013,that time of year all cars must have studded tyres up there.I was amazed the roads were not salted,they let the ice pack down hard and with those tyres you almost drive normally,it took a lot of getting used to.We went via Oslo and that was far colder than Northern Norway,the Gulf Stream keeps it "warm".Great place but VERY expensive.

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 07:27   #6
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

I hope to god you have an FBH fitted for those temperatures!
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 08:12   #7
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default using a 75 in the arctic circle

I would say don't consider studded tyres or chains. They are now considered as undesirable in the arctic countries, because they damage the road surface. I spent Xmas before last in Iceland (not with my 75) and full winter tyres seem to be the norm. To experience a tour guide use full 'welly' power a 300bhp 4x4 on an icy road is something to behold! I'm currently using Michelin All-Season tyres in the UK, but cannot comment on their suitability for where you are going. Try contacting one of the tyre companies for advice. Best of luck!
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 15:02   #8
andrewinpopayan
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT manual tourer SE with farkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post

I'll second that, leave the FBH running while you aren't using the car, that will certainly help starting.

Bodges and "quick fixes" have a nasty habit of reminding you at the MOST inconvenient AND expensive time that you should have done the job properly in the first place.!
andrewinpopayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 19:03   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Take a battery charger.

In fact, take two.----------------

Last edited by COLVERT; 14th December 2016 at 18:59..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 21:33   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
yes got one fitted and a spare in the garage just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Take a battery charger.

If fact, take two.----------------
had thought of that and an extension lead. more then likely I'd plug it in when not in use. it's not the thing one normally puts on the list to take

thank you for the advice, appreciate it

macafee2

Last edited by Dragrad; 15th December 2016 at 01:20.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote