Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2017, 00:36   #91
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
There are after market springs not even lasting 2 years
It's disgraceful really
Hi Jules,We talked last week about you doing some work on my car today,and you could not fit me in..Well I could not have made it up to Wales anyway ,Because my front o/s spring broke. Its really in a shocking state,the broken end of the spring is really pressing into the tyre.I did not know anything about protectors unfortally and I cannot move the car an inch.But what got me was it happened on it own !!! Hows that ??? oh yeah I agree with whoever said all cars, a merc I had broke on me too,(perhaps its ME).I just got the car MOTd too. Anyway as I,m stuck down in London and my mech is in Lincs I hoping my breakdown cover will do the honours, fingers crossed..
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 08:14   #92
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Our Grande Punto has had both front springs break at less than 40k and now its had both those break after 2 year(ish) .and 14k miles ..
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 09:42   #93
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
There is a remarkable coincidence of fracture rate against season with the rate peaking dramatically in winter and minimising in summer.

Snip...

The underlying cause of fractures is corrosion stress, exacerbated by ambient temperature, but other factors do play a part. There are lots of articles from easy read to academic research covering car springs fracture and all point to the same underlying causes.
TC
Winter is also a time when roads are at their worst for potholes and when what potholes there are, are least easy to spot in the murk.

It is of course well known that steel becomes more brittle in colder temperatures, but I think the major cause is that of concentrated stress fracture. An area of rust develops on the spring, this causes a spot weakness where bending is concentrated. The more it is concentrated, the more damage occurs in that spot and eventually it breaks.

When ever I remove a wheel, I smear waterproof grease along the spring. I had broken rear spring replaced before I bought the car, it might have been broken a while and replaced the other rear one (broken) since then. No other failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Our Grande Punto has had both front springs break at less than 40k and now its had both those break after 2 year(ish) .and 14k miles ..
Low mileage breakage such as the above, might be due to poor quality steel used in the manufacture. Any weak point in a spring, due to stress concentration, will eventually snap.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by Dragrad; 7th February 2017 at 22:08.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 17:13   #94
binraider
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Default Mine just went and i was wearing a T shirt it was so warm

My offside front spring went when i just got into the car - it has been a warm day today and has been for a few days. I did 250 motorway miles at the weekend, so lucky i guess!
binraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 17:28   #95
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I don't think I can recall a single incident where I have seen or heard about a spring breaking in my own or my friends cars.

It should not happen during an ordinary use of a car. And not to an extent where it can damage a front tyre.
I can only assume there has been something wrong with the material and/or the treatment.

However, metal will break easier at lower temperatures, and I think that is one reason behind the graph shown earlier.