Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2017, 21:15   #31
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Mea culpa

Dear Simon, there is no way to say this, other than I screwed up.

Cutting a long story short, I followed the procedures you and Arctic etc., gave me and as a lot of the results made little sense (usually meaning I have been involved) I went back to basics.

Why would the fan run at high speed if not at low?

I looked again at the resistor and the one I grabbed and fitted was a 47 ohm, not 0.47 ohm item.

I have tried tonight to buy one from Jules, but I seem to be having trouble with his online shop as well.

Sadly, my conclusion is, I am past it.

Modern technology, forums, posting images, buying things online - reading a web post and noting resistor values,, even rummaging in the parts bin is beyond me now.

I can only proffer my most abject apologies for bothering your good self and the other good people on the forum with my stupidity.

Back to trying to buy one from Jules.

I will let you know how it all ends (note, there is no icon of a man hanging from a tree) one way or the other.

Best wishes, Frank B
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 21:47   #32
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Frank.
I note you have been able to remove the PCB ? or did you just change the control box over, thus leaving the relays & the PCB in situ if so I took the photo's I said I would how to remove the PCB.

Keep your chin up you will have it sorted out soon, drop me a PM with your name & address and I will get a resistor of to you, once arrived let us know Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 23:20   #33
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Dear Arctic,

thanks for the post and encouragement.

I had already emailed Jules for a resistor, so I had better go with that option.

I had changed the "old" control box over to the "new" fan.

I then removed the PCB from the "new" control box and tested the relays.

At that point, puzzled, I decided to look at all the things I had done, and saw the resistor I had put in was 47 ohms, not 0.47 ohms.

What a plonker. Sorry to waste your valuable time and also the time Simon and all the other good people who have tried to help.

As I wrote earlier, I will report back - while wearing sackcloth and ashes!

Best wishes, Frank
Old 30th June 2017, 07:11   #34
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoldstar View Post
At that point, puzzled, I decided to look at all the things I had done, and saw the resistor I had put in was 47 ohms, not 0.47 ohms.
What a plonker.
On the contrary Frank, you should congratulate yourself for going back to basics and checking every step. As a result you have found the problem!

Keep going, you're doing all right. Think of all the labour charges you're saving.

Simon
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:21   #35
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Fan replacement woes - sorted. Many thanks

Dear All,

many thanks to all of you who gave me more help and encouragement than I could have hoped for.

I said I would do a wrap up post to see if there is anything in this tale that might help others, so here goes.

First off, both Simon (SD1Too) and Arctic correctly told me that the second hand diesel fan I bought from a scrapper would be a direct replacement for the unit I took off.

They also (and others too numerous to mention) told me that the gold replacement resistor was essential, as it is.

So two solid things for others to take from.

The other main thing is that the posts from Artic and others, including Jules, show a lot very good information and pictures about how to remove the bits needed to get at and replace the fan and resistor.

And then there is the elephant in the room. Me.

Number one, if I had done the right thing and taken my time with the job, not tried to rush it to get the car on the road right way, it would have been back on the road a lot sooner.

Number two, if I had got the correct resistor from Jules (or Arctic, or any of the other people reputable people who the forum is blessed with) I would have got the car sorted double quick.

As it was, Jules got me a resistor and viton O rings on a next day delivery and they got to me nice and early, despite it being Friday when I ordered them, Saturday morning as hoped for.

Now my original screw up was grabbing a "Gold" resistor of the wrong value, desperate as I was on the Friday before last.

If I had stopped, phoned Jules and asked, he could have told me I should have the resistor next day, but being a plonker, I panicked and rushed.

So that ties the number one and two mistakes together, where the common thread is me being an idiot and not asking the right people the right questions before making any decisions.

And my last point is that while I had the front off, I decided to do some other jobs needing proper access, including refitting the intercooler elbow "O" rings.

Soon after I got the car, I read that the original O rings were not up to the job. A quick look and one was indeed hanging over the pipe. Plus the car was well oiled around the pipe.

I bought "viton" O rings from some Fleabay seller and fitted them. I was surprised to find the pipe was an easy fit with these O rings, but thought they, like Nitrile, might expand a bit in use and seal better.

They did not. And various fixes were tried by me, all to no avail. Until now.

The viton O rings from Jules are a treat and fit much better. Now the all too evident blowby that had kept that part of the car coated in oil and whatever stuck to it, has gone.

So, the message for all forum members, new and not so new, do not be an idiot like me. Plan the job, even if it is has a breakdown as the starting point.
Do not panic and grab the first thing you thing bout and ask the members before you get in the brown and sticky stuff.

And probably most important, do not buy parts off anybody who does not have a forum presence if you want to do the job only once.

At this point, I have to include DMGRS, who have twice now saved me from myself.

All the people mentioned who supply parts could no doubt have saved me time and effort, with added disappointment and despair thrown in.

Best wishes, Frank B
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:42   #36
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoldstar View Post
... me being an idiot and not asking the right people the right questions before making any decisions.
Plan the job, even if it is has a breakdown as the starting point.
Do not panic and grab the first thing you thing bout and ask the members before you get in the brown and sticky stuff.

That's good advice Frank, and thank you for the comprehensive feedback which will assist others in the future.

Simon