Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2018, 18:50   #1
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Self levelling headlamp sensor link - successful replacement that will not bend.

Having found on the club website that my facelift 75 connie saloon had self levelling headlights and that the mechanical links between the level sensing switch and suspension need checking, I had a look and found a very bent and goosed link with shot bearing ends on the front sensor switch.
I found out these were beemer parts (BMW 37146752797 01) and saw posts on the club website offering various remedies using the original parts.
I did not fancy that at all and, as I reported in an earlier post, I found a beemer site that gave the link bearing centres as 71.5mm. I now knew the bearing centres.
I then looked for a low cost bearing alternative and found that a company I use for work called IGUS supply 6mm spherical rod end eyes (Rose joints to most of us) that are small and low cost. That was the bearings sorted.
While I could have asked for a couple of samples, even I am not that mean (quiet at the back) so I ordered them from RS components.
Most bigger cities will have a local RS trade counter, but please note, they will sell to you if you go in and give them the stock number. I used a card, as I do not know if they take cash.
• RS stock them as 712-4986, so that is the number to quote at the trade counter. £3.36 each with VAT.
The full description is IGUS WGRM-06 Iglubal angled joint. in line ball and socket joint, right hand thread, metric dimensions. Web page here:
https://www.igus.co.uk/wpck/2447/igubal_WGRM?C=GB&L=en
I ordered four off and used some 6mm Aluminium bar (actually, it was 1/4", but I skimmed a bit off in the lathe and used that to ensure I threaded the ends of the rod square to the axis.
To be honest, you will probably be able to easily thread Ally rod of 1/4" diameter, so the skim of .3mm (12 thousandths of an inch) is gilding the Lily. Using Aluminium reduces the inertias acting on the components, lessening the chance of the forces pulling the end bracket off the suspension.
I do not remember how long the rod is, but, with the centres known, it is easy to work out when you have the bearing ends. A couple of proper stainless locknuts and the link is ready to fit.
The resulting assembly was fitted and has been jogging up and down happily for three or four weeks.
For any owners who crave the original (Banana shaped on mine!) beemer bits, below is a bit of info.
https://www.bmwautoparts.net/en/cata...umeris=6752797
This site calls it a Regulating Rod at Euro 6.80 each. Looks to be based in Germany.
Or this uk site: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-B...-/263120654032 Has them at £10.73 with free pp
I have some photos of the end link, but unsurprisingly, they are not very exciting.
Somebody will have to tell me how to post the photo though!
The back link is not too bad currently, but I now have a spare for that too.

I hope this is useful, Frank
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 09:46   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

These people do Aluminium threaded rod
http://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/m6-al...bar-9391-p.asp
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 10:42   #3
KWIL
Precise