Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th August 2020, 19:49   #11
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
Think the newer Rainsport 5's are supposed to be as good as the old Rainsport 3's but don't wear as quick as the 3's did. Guess they've changed the tyre compound slightly
Hello Paul, Had a look myself and this is what I found

" One of the subsidiary brands of Germany’s Continental — Uniroyal — has launched the new-generation rain tire RainSport 5, which is coming to replace RainSport 3 in the company’s model range. The main difference between the new-generation tire and its predecessor is the increased mileage.

You were correct. Thanks David
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2020, 07:08   #12
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWMGTF View Post
Hello Paul, Had a look myself and this is what I found

" One of the subsidiary brands of Germany’s Continental — Uniroyal — has launched the new-generation rain tire RainSport 5, which is coming to replace RainSport 3 in the company’s model range. The main difference between the new-generation tire and its predecessor is the increased mileage.

You were correct. Thanks David
Guess you get more rain up there than we do down here in this part of Essex David so the Rainsports would be good for that. Think they're classed as a Summer tyre though so not sure how they'd be in snow if you get much where you are in Winter and need to drive in it.
Seldom get much snow down here and if we do it's usually gone in a couple of days.
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2020, 08:39   #13
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I fitted Avon ZV7s to my Volvo after being very happy with the ZV5s fitted to my ZTT. However they did not last long and all four cracked in the treads. The manufacturer said they were having issues caused by the rubber compounds stipulated under EU rules that were resulting in these failures after about 3 years. They said the tyres are guaranteed for 6 years with most worn out in three years, so mainly only low usage cars are generally affected. They said that they thought they had resolved the issue but they will not know for definite until they get into the same time scales.

I got a percentage of the cost back after negotiations and decided that in light of their comments I would not use them. I switched to Kumho and find them even quieter and better in the wet for around the same cost.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2020, 08:47   #14
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
I fitted Avon ZV7s to my Volvo after being very happy with the ZV5s fitted to my ZTT. However they did not last long and all four cracked in the treads. The manufacturer said they were having issues caused by the rubber compounds stipulated under EU rules that were resulting in these failures after about 3 years. They said the tyres are guaranteed for 6 years with most worn out in three years, so mainly only low usage cars are generally affected. They said that they thought they had resolved the issue but they will not know for definite until they get into the same time scales.

I got a percentage of the cost back after negotiations and decided that in light of their comments I would not use them. I switched to Kumho and find them even quieter and better in the wet for around the same cost.
Ho Hum I just bought two,,,I,m not a happy bunny reading this!!!!
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2020, 09:32   #15
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Quote:

That's why I needed new tyres on the Tourer,the ZV7's on it were cracked all over,between treads and even on the sidewalls. They were still legal tread depth wise but looked really bad with all the cracks.
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2020, 19:59   #16
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Con SE, Range Rover P38 4.6 for my Russian winter home

Location: France Feb to October/Sevastopol Crimea November to Jan

Due to work I only do a few thousand miles a year in my 75 and nearly all of that is on high speed French motorways 130km and then some mountain passes and I have a set of Pirelli Cinturato P1 which on fitting some years ago weren't that expensive but give a great sense of feel and grip and exceedingly quite. Although looking at the treads before this years trip to the Pyrenees all looking the same but swapped the front to the rears and whether just the brain thinking you have done good did seem to feel a bit better in the cornering on the passes. However this tyre gives me confidence and i am happy with that. However as always tyres, price and circumstances is a personal choice.
Gunnerhavesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2020, 10:03   #17
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
Guess you get more rain up there than we do down here in this part of Essex David so the Rainsports would be good for that. Think they're classed as a Summer tyre though so not sure how they'd be in snow if you get much where you are in Winter and need to drive in it.
Seldom get much snow down here and if we do it's usually gone in a couple of days.
Good morning Paul. As regards the rain, I think we get a lot more and as regards the snow, well nothing like a 1963 Winter and the car is only really used during the summer. I'm probably going to buy Rainsports but I will have to see what is available after I get my alloys refurbished. Thanks for your views. David
Old 21st August 2020, 10:05   #18
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Quote:

Thanks for that information Bob.
Old 21st August 2020, 10:09   #19
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerhavesome View Post
Due to work I only do a few thousand miles a year in my 75 and nearly all of that is on high speed French motorways 130km and then some mountain passes and I have a set of Pirelli Cinturato P1 which on fitting some years ago weren't that expensive but give a great sense of feel and grip and exceedingly quite. Although looking at the treads before this years trip to the Pyrenees all looking the same but swapped the front to the rears and whether just the brain thinking you have done good did seem to feel a bit better in the cornering on the passes. However this tyre gives me confidence and i am happy with that. However as always tyres, price and circumstances is a personal choice.
Thanks for your views Graeme.
Old 21st August 2020, 10:26   #20
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

A work colleague used to work for a well known tyre fitting company,
he said they used to have quite a few problems with the Avon's unfortunately.

Just the law of s@d my ZT has them on when I bought it!

Love how they handle and their performance in the wet.
Have to see if they end up in cracking up like so many people have said.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote