Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2021, 07:44   #21
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
We get free access to the World Service via the radio and our local TV satellite company airs the BBC World News, Eastenders, BBC children's programmes and Midsomer Murders for which we have to pay a monthly fee. I would like to get FreeView but it is not possible. Apart from satellite TV, I watch Youtube. We don't watch the TV during the day as we are busy doing other things, we only watch it in the evenings. There is free TV here, but it is very basic and does not include movies.

Why not watch Freestat as it uses the same satellite as Sky so you can just used the same dish and cables. Depending on your TV you might have to get a Freestat box if your TV does not have it's own tuner.

Soory I did not realise you were not in the UK

Last edited by another_clean_sheet; 14th March 2021 at 07:45.. Reason: Add comment
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 09:37   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Why not watch Freestat as it uses the same satellite as Sky so you can just used the same dish and cables. Depending on your TV you might have to get a Freestat box if your TV does not have it's own tuner.

Soory I did not realise you were not in the UK
How very kind of you to make the suggestion of Freestat. I will do some research and see if it would work here or not. Even though I am out of the UK, I still pay the UK TV license and this enables me to login to the BBC using a VPN and for those times when we are visiting the UK.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 10:27   #23
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
How very kind of you to make the suggestion of Freestat. I will do some research and see if it would work here or not. Even though I am out of the UK, I still pay the UK TV license and this enables me to login to the BBC using a VPN and for those times when we are visiting the UK.

Unfortunately i think you will be out of reach for Freesat as it's footprint is primarily European based.

https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 07:23   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Unfortunately i think you will be out of reach for Freesat as it's footprint is primarily European based.

https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints
Thanks you very much for the link, which made for interesting and educational reading, explaining everything. I learned something new
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 14:57   #25
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
Quite happy to keep paying. Some good output on BBC, Proms music season, wildlife, drama etc. Frankly when you see TV programmes abroad like USA you wouldn't want it any other way. Just my opinion.
60% plus (last time I read stats on this subject) are repeats. So, £159 for a few bits and bobs plus biased news comment.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 15:09   #26
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
60% plus (last time I read stats on this subject) are repeats. So, £159 for a few bits and bobs plus biased news comment.

Kev
I quite like repeats to be honest. Also not forgetting Radio output. Radio 3 offers a wide and good choice of music, unlike Classic FM which really is endlessly repeated muzak. I am quite happy to continue paying the fee. Individual choice of course as always.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 15:31   #27
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
I quite like repeats to be honest. Also not forgetting Radio output. Radio 3 offers a wide and good choice of music, unlike Classic FM which really is endlessly repeated muzak. I am quite happy to continue paying the fee. Individual choice of course as always.
I've nothing against repeats per se but the BBC have multiple channels, one of which they could dedicate to this type of output. I also agree that people who are satisfied with the "standard(s)" will have no hesitation in paying the license fee. However, what about those who think differently? Should the license fee be on a sliding scale? All very subjective.

I do think the non-payment should be de-criminalised but not before I retire. I plan to stop paying, tell the magistrate I'm not willing to pay any fine imposed by them and go to prison. Yes, it will be tough - 3 square miles a day, gym/recreational facilities, craft/skill training, IT usage ect., ect. I am prepared to sacrifice myself and endure these indignities to highlight the this injustice

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 15:36   #28
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Hope it doesn't come to that Kev, but I think I would be quite happy to come and visit you if that's where it goes....
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 18:30   #29
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I plan to stop paying, tell the magistrate I'm not willing to pay any fine imposed by them and go to prison. Yes, it will be tough - 3 square miles a day, gym/recreational facilities, craft/skill training, IT usage ect., ect. I am prepared to sacrifice myself and endure these indignities to highlight the this injustice

Kev

In the words of the song: "I got it bad and that ain't good". I can think of many many worse things to get worked up about.
Old 16th March 2021, 05:39   #30
Arie-MG
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

I like watching the BBC.
Its part of our public tv-package: all the dutch chanels, 3x belgians, 5 germans, bbc1-bbc2-bbc first and Discovery&Nat.Geographic.
My sundaymorning now start with bbc2 countryfile-Gardeners world-Wheaterman coastwalk, excelent, love those slow programmes!
Use to enjoy Top Gear with the three muppets untill they moved to Amazon?

I hardly watch Dutch public TV anymore despite having that on demand
But then I do trust the public-tv news broadcasting more then all the commercial ones.
Arie-MG is offline   Reply With Quote