Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2021, 11:49   #1
paulh260260
Still learning...

Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Default Bypassing Oil Cooler advice required

Guys

In an attempt to eliminate coolant flow problems I'm going to bypass the oil cooler but I need some help.

Its the cooler in the front of the engine so removing the coolant hoses should be easy enough, it's the connecting of them together and what to do with the resultant empty ports I need guidance on.

I know I just need to connect them but with what?

The external circumference of the hoses is about 75mm which means the Internal Diameter should be a maximum of 23mm so is there a specific size connector I need?

Also what do I do with the empty ports left behind, is there any need to blank them off and if so how and with what.

BTW its a 52 2.5 Kv6 petrol auto

Cheers

Paul
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:43   #2
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Hi Paul.

I personally wouldn't disconnect at the oil cooler. The coolant rail pipes that travel across and above the front sub frame supply the oil cooler, so looking into the engine bay from the front of the car on the right hand side directly below the expansion tank you should see the 2 pipes travelling down connecting to that rail.

For the later type oil cooler, perhaps purchase 3/4" (19.05mm) diameter 180 degree aluminium or stainless beaded bend to bypass here.

Choose size and bend angle from list here https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/al...nium-tube.html

I don't know what the internal bore of the early type connection to the oil cooler is at present I'm afraid.

Last edited by Typhoon190; 2nd April 2021 at 12:53..
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:12   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Oil cooler by-pass

Paul,

Disconnect the hose connections to the cooler first. Don't waste time trying to work out what you might need, remove the hoses and measure the ID then you'll know. It will then be obvious what length and type of pipe you need. Hopefully you'll be able to buy a length of plastic pipe from a plumbers' merchant and the OD should ideally be very slightly larger than the hose ID.

As far as blanking off the cooler ports is concerned I have already answered that, I believe to your satisfaction, in your main thread. It's a case of improvising so, off the top of my head, try thick kitchen foil lightly secured with Jubilee clips.

Simon
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:13   #4
paulh260260
Still learning...

Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Hi Paul.

I personally wouldn't disconnect at the oil cooler. The coolant rail pipes that travel across and above the front sub frame supply the oil cooler, so looking into the engine bay from the front of the car on the right hand side directly below the expansion tank you should see the 2 pipes travelling down connecting to that rail.

For the later type oil cooler, perhaps purchase 3/4" (19.05mm) diameter 180 degree aluminium or stainless beaded bend to bypass here.

Choose size and bend angle from list here https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/al...nium-tube.html

I don't know what the internal bore of the early type connection to the oil cooler is at present I'm afraid.
Cheers Typhoon, yep I can see exactly where you mean and thanks for the link to the items.

BTW why do you prefer this method as opposed to the connection at the oil cooler, is it to avoid leaving the cooler "open"

If it makes a difference this will only be a temp fix as I think Ill need the oil cooler reconnected to the coolant as its needed on my Auto.

Thanks
Paul
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:10   #5
paulh260260
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Paul,

Disconnect the hose connections to the cooler first. Don't waste time trying to work out what you might need, remove the hoses and measure the ID then you'll know. It will then be obvious what length and type of pipe you need. Hopefully you'll be able to buy a length of plastic pipe from a plumbers' merchant and the OD should ideally be very slightly larger than the hose ID.

As far as blanking off the cooler ports is concerned I have already answered that, I believe to your satisfaction, in your main thread. It's a case of improvising so, off the top of my head, try thick kitchen foil lightly secured with Jubilee clips.

Simon

Thanks for that Simon