R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Double post, Mick.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 10:35   #12
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Most crime these days involve drugs, possession, use, or trade. The use off drugs has been made "OK nudge nudge wink wink, man/old boy" by the talking heads of our society and particularly amongst the pop idol musicians. The example has been shown and our society has followed and all those people should hang their heads in shame-but they dont do they. Guns dont kill- people do and will if they have lost any moral compass.(thats about the only phrase used by New Labour that I agreed with). Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 11:16   #13
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Couldn’t agree more. The trouble with a compass, moral or otherwise, is that it swings both ways.

There’s always a choice, either in the particular substance, quantity, or strength. Addiction is, in the first instance, voluntary. Proposals are now being proposed to decriminalise popular drugs!

How long before ‘hard’ drugs on prescription for those who want it rather than a provable medicinal need? If, when, that happens we all are on the hook by having to pay for it!
Old 30th May 2022, 12:19   #14
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Most crime these days involve drugs, possession, use, or trade. The use off drugs has been made "OK nudge nudge wink wink, man/old boy" by the talking heads of our society and particularly amongst the pop idol musicians. The example has been shown and our society has followed and all those people should hang their heads in shame-but they dont do they. Guns dont kill- people do and will if they have lost any moral compass.(thats about the only phrase used by New Labour that I agreed with). Chris.S.
Didn't Gordon Brown (Labour leader and PM) lose a moral compass?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 12:27   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Couldn’t agree more. The trouble with a compass, moral or otherwise, is that it swings both ways.

There’s always a choice, either in the particular substance, quantity, or strength. Addiction is, in the first instance, voluntary. Proposals are now being proposed to decriminalise popular drugs!

How long before ‘hard’ drugs on prescription for those who want it rather than a provable medicinal need? If, when, that happens we all are on the hook by having to pay for it!
The problems are happening now. Those on medicinal cannabise, when drug wiped by the police, are claiming that it is proscribed medicinal use. I've no doubt these cases will be given due leniency before data shows being under the influence can still cost lives.

A simple way out is to ensure that driving is banned whilst being proscribed/use of "recreational" drugs. It's done for other medicants (including Night Nurse) as it is for other proscribed drugs!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 01:59   #16
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Guns dont kill- people do.
Guns don't kill people on their own but they do make it extremely simple for the nutjobs to kill many people very quickly without having to get up close & personal.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 11:33   #17
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

The problem is that the majority of Americans think the right to possess deadly weapons is more important than the lives of innocent children and I can't see that ever changing,
just to give you an idea my son has lived in the US since 2010 and during the covid pandemic when over here people were panic buying toilet rolls and pasta in the good old US of A the queues outside the gun shops were bigger than the queues outside the food shops
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 21:05   #18
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
Guns don't kill people on their own but they do make it extremely simple for the nutjobs to kill many people very quickly without having to get up close & personal.
I've always said, as an ex military man, Guns don't kill people, People kill people. Many may argue cases against this. We have had many weapon amnesties in this country, how many of the weapons handed in were handed in by honest Joe Public, many. How many were handed in by the criminal fraternity, many less, if any. All that has been created is a society where the good, honest folk are left to defend themselves against a gun, with a stick. If guns were legal to own by a constitutional right in this country, I would possess an armoury.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 21:56   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo337 View Post
I've always said, as an ex military man, Guns don't kill people, People kill people. Many may argue cases against this. We have had many weapon amnesties in this country, how many of the weapons handed in were handed in by honest Joe Public, many. How many were handed in by the criminal fraternity, many less, if any. All that has been created is a society where the good, honest folk are left to defend themselves against a gun, with a stick. If guns were legal to own by a constitutional right in this country, I would possess an armoury.
Why do you want to posses an armoury?

If guns were legal in this country there would be a lot more murders by gun and probably more general crime.

You say people kill people, how do you stop the people that use a gun to kill before they get hold of a gun?

Have you seen the video on Youtube about a gun store owner in the USA that felt uneasy about selling a gun to someone but sold it anyway and the buyer used it to kill someone?
A web page I have just looked at shows year ending March 31st 2019 there were 30 murders by shooting, this seems to make me think you are being overly dramatic when you say " honest folk are left to defend themselves against a gun, with a stick" 30 is about .00004% of the estimated 2019 UK population
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-7654/

Thankfully guns are not legal in the country and so there are less guns on the streets and so less gun crime. More guns is not the answer, the USA stats prove it for the USA. Is that where you want to take your lead from?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 09:18   #20
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Why do you want to posses an armoury?

If guns were legal in this country there would be a lot more murders by gun and probably more general crime.

You say people kill people, how do you stop the people that use a gun to kill before they get hold of a gun?

Have you seen the video on Youtube about a gun store owner in the USA that felt uneasy about selling a gun to someone but sold it anyway and the buyer used it to kill someone?
A web page I have just looked at shows year ending March 31st 2019 there were 30 murders by shooting, this seems to make me think you are being overly dramatic when you say " honest folk are left to defend themselves against a gun, with a stick" 30 is about .00004% of the estimated 2019 UK population
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-7654/

Thankfully guns are not legal in the country and so there are less guns on the streets and so less gun crime. More guns is not the answer, the USA stats prove it for the USA. Is that where you want to take your lead from?

macafee2
I think you are wrong.
We have few responsible gun owners in this country because it is so difficult to obtain said weapon. The irresponsible gun owners in the UK are in the majority. If an individual knows that by brandishing a weapon at someone, he himself may be shot by the one he is brandishing the weapon at, this is akin to Mutually Assured Destruction.
Why would I want an armoury, as I stated previously, I am ex military, I enjoyed the challenge of going to the range and shooting, I still do, albeit with an air weapon, if guns were legal in this country it wold be with a 5.56 or preferably a 7.62. As for looking at web pages that state this or that and blindly following it, we've just had a couple of years of that, and look where that has landed us, the biggest recession of modern times, people that are choosing to heat or eat and still the newspapers harp on about the new big c and its variants. Pull yor head out of the sand, make your own decisions, I made mine and although on the vulnerable list, I'm still in the land of the living.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote