Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd April 2022, 07:47   #41
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I agree. Also, we should appreciate that it is OK for people to have opinions which are factually incorrect/wrong. It doesn't make them bad individuals.

I suspect most people are in fact probably wrong more often than not. I suspect I probably am.
Respectfully, I disagree. Tolerating those who express opinions which directly contradict fact is a slippery slope, because it's basically encouraging the spread of fake news which has caused all sorts of problems and will continue to do so. Remember Trump and his 'alternative facts'? When someone posts something which has no basis in fact or reason, I personally believe it's best to point out the error - if they didn't know the truth, they will learn it, and if they knew the facts and chose to subvert them, it might make them slightly less likely to post their toxic bolleaux again. In the same way, when I have inadvertently posted something which was wrong, I'm grateful to those who point it out - to me at least, ignorance isn't bliss!

Back to the thread - I hope that Nick and Jean are okay and will be in a position trade again before long. I was a regular customer of theirs during my ZT years.
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 08:02   #42
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
Tolerating those who express opinions which directly contradict fact is a slippery slope ...
Hi Charlie,

The problem is separating opinion and fact.

Many "facts" have a limited lifespan, until another "opinion" comes along and enjoys widespread adoption.

Simon

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be general in nature and not specifically applicable to the original subject of this thread, Austin Garages Ltd.

Last edited by SD1too; 23rd April 2022 at 08:06..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 09:05   #43
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. Tolerating those who express opinions which directly contradict fact is a slippery slope, because it's basically encouraging the spread of fake news which has caused all sorts of problems and will continue to do so. Remember Trump and his 'alternative facts'? When someone posts something which has no basis in fact or reason, I personally believe it's best to point out the error - if they didn't know the truth, they will learn it, and if they knew the facts and chose to subvert them, it might make them slightly less likely to post their toxic bolleaux again. In the same way, when I have inadvertently posted something which was wrong, I'm grateful to those who point it out - to me at least, ignorance isn't bliss!

Back to the thread - I hope that Nick and Jean are okay and will be in a position trade again before long. I was a regular customer of theirs during my ZT years.

Well, I am of the opinion that it is perfectly reasonable to tolerate, and indeed hold, an incorrect opinion provided the opinion is not presented as fact. Fake news in my opinion occurs when a person expresses incorrect opinion as fact. This is often done knowingly by those wishing to spread fake news.

I have never used Austin Garages but wish them well.
Old 23rd April 2022, 16:18   #44
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Well, I am of the opinion that it is perfectly reasonable to tolerate, and indeed hold, an incorrect opinion provided the opinion is not presented as fact. Fake news in my opinion occurs when a person expresses incorrect opinion as fact. This is often done knowingly by those wishing to spread fake news.
And that's exactly what I mean - it seems to happen more and more frequently. We all hold incorrect or unreasonable opinions, after all - does anyone claim to know everything?! - but being able to recognize that some of one's own opinions are unreasonable or ill-informed, and being able to accept that a strongly held opinion lacks any basis in fact or reason, is a disappointingly rare trait.
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 18:27   #45
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I don't want to comment or speculate on the current situation at Austin Garages as it is a private matter and I have no more information other than has already been shared.However as a very longstanding customer with all three of mine,I would just like to put on record the excellence,high standards and perfection I have received at every visit.I genuinely don't know of anyone more knowledgable about MG-R products than Nick.He is always happy to let you watch,and it's a complete education at how he makes the difficult look easy.If I do have to leave a car with him,I have absolute faith and trust that it could not be in better hands.Nick and Jean's customer base spans the whole country,such is their reputation for honesty,fairness and proffesionalism.Luckily I'm just down the road from them,but I would have no hesitation travelling far and long to them knowing that I was getting the best.A little anecdote about how they became Austin Garages for those that don't know.Nick's (nickname) whilst previously employed by a former MG-R/BL dealership was Austin,due to his obsessive interest in the cars

Nick and Jean if you happen to read this thanks for everything you've done for me so far and hope to see you again soon
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 12:54   #46
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Anyone got any news about the situation and if Nick has re-started operations?

I've not had a reply to an e-mail I sent and no answer on the direct phone.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 16:41   #47
Oldoaks
Regular poster

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Anyone got any news about the situation and if Nick has re-started operations?

I've not had a reply to an e-mail I sent and no answer on the direct phone.

Kev
I have received my car back from Nick after an extended period. Without speaking for him I would say he has old jobs to keep him busy, with customers for them waiting. I think once he gets himself caught up he will be in a position to take on new work. His family situation is still very difficult so it is slowing everything dramatically.
Oldoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 16:45   #48
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldoaks View Post
I have received my car back from Nick after an extended period. Without speaking for him I would say he has old jobs to keep him busy, with customers for them waiting. I think once he gets himself caught up he will be in a position to take on new work. His family situation is still very difficult so it is slowing everything dramatically.
Thanks for that info.

I'm ready for a 5k service and diff nose seal replacement for starters. Might have to use B & G if I can't contact in the next week!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 22:32   #49
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

B & G ?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 23:45   #50
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon