Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th July 2022, 17:55   #21
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
3m is over 9feet most single carriageway roads are only just 10-11ft wide at best, if the cyclist is 1m from the kerb (a nice safe distance from the detritus in the gutter) then to be 3m clear you'd have the wheels on the opposite pavement. If you're overtaking someone while both are in motion regardless of their mode of transport they own the full width of the lane.

Passing a static vehicle that happens to have steel cage around it while on a bicycle isn't the issue. Passing a bicycle in a big vehicle surrounded by a steel cage is. As is running a red light - those apply to everyone.

You were obviously driving no faster than you could see was clear which is good. You should always be able to stop in the space that you can see to be clear in your lane of the road. What if there was an accident around the bend taking up the full width of the road? You're still supposed to be able to stop in time.
You may have heard 'only a fool breaks the 2 second rule' this doesn't just apply to following other vehicles but to blind bends and hill brows.
Me sitting in my steel cage is irrelevant. The cyclist isn't. He's the one who would come off worst.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2022, 07:57   #22
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Some cyclists on the road are claiming their holy space with what seems like a challengingly militant attitude. Doubling up is now a determined act of entitlement. It’s also inviting a) serious injury or death or b) a rather large road burn. Still, every cloud...

It might remove some of those awful leg tatts.

Also it seems the old fashioned method of pavements being for pedestrians and wheelchairs only has gone the way of so many other things. Wasn’t it illegal to ride on them?

The practice of bikes and electric scooters using pavements as dodgem tracks is suddenly the ‘done’ thing. Tempted to adopt an elbows-out self defence mode.
Here is a leg tatt for you Ray. Guy Martin (pictured) had a Sufolk Punch 4 stud piston tattooed on his leg... John Mc Guiness of TT fame always makes sure he mowes his lawn before he goes to th IOM TT.

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 8th July 2022 at 08:04..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2022, 15:23   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Folks are now "over cautious" so as not to incur the wrath of cyclists with head cams! Time to tax and insure them?
I agree. Interestingly, in our perceived backward country of India, as far back as 1965 bicycles were required to purchase and display an yearly metal token with a unique number in order to ride the bicycle on the road. There would be regular police checks and fines issued for anyone riding a bicycle without such a token permanently mounted on the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Does that apply to children on bicycles?
Phil, I would say yes. In fact prospective parents should be required to have very broad 20-year insurance cover for a child before being allowed to have one.

Last edited by MSS; 8th July 2022 at 15:41..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2022, 16:42   #24
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Here is a leg tatt for you Ray. Guy Martin (pictured) had a Sufolk Punch 4 stud piston tattooed on his leg... John Mc Guiness of TT fame always makes sure he mowes his lawn before he goes to th IOM TT.

Thanks for that Phil. Never seen the point of backwards facing tatts, you need two mirrors to see it.

I've only got one. Did it myself, a heart on my arm, at 14 years old. Very brave - sewing needle and ink from the well on my desk. Girlfriend's name in the middle in Red Indian ink (can we still say that now?) from the Art room but unfortunately that faded. Both. The ink and the girl. If you ever meet my dear wife, don't tell her.
Old 9th July 2022, 18:18   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
You were obviously driving no faster than you could see was clear which is good. You should always be able to stop in the space that you can see to be clear in your lane of the road. What if there was an accident around the bend taking up the full width of the road? You're still supposed to be able to stop in time.
You may have heard 'only a fool breaks the 2 second rule' this doesn't just apply to following other vehicles but to blind bends and hill brows.

If there was an accident around the bend, then the accident would not be jogging towards you. He obviously was driving within the distance he could see to be clear because he managed to stop despite the jogger (accident) coming towards him.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2022, 11:31   #26
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Thanks for that Phil. Never seen the point of backwards facing tatts, you need two mirrors to see it.

I've only got one. Did it myself, a heart on my arm, at 14 years old. Very brave - sewing needle and ink from the well on my desk. Girlfriend's name in the middle in Red Indian ink (can we still say that now?) from the Art room but unfortunately that faded. Both. The ink and the girl. If you ever meet my dear wife, don't tell her.
Torqueing of wives...Listen to this for ultra sick making but increadably true story.

In 1971 i gazed across th school dinning room at this girl... I dont know why but i was a bit transfixed on her. 51 years latter and she still puts up with. She's not only my wife but my best mate.... (You can now put ya sick bags in th bin)

So back to cycling.

Iv done few hundred miles in th last month. I usually go on railway tracks and canals. (Till th council mow it and threw th hawthorn spikes on th path) So last 48 miles was done on roads. Iv noticed that cars are now taking a long sweep past. Th most considerate drivers are women. They hold back for what it must feel like for them to be ages. Do these considerate people suffer less from TESTOSTERONE so there for av a less urgency... Or flippantly said "just like looking at my tight well excersised bum".. (Sorry girls if you think im been sexist)
Old 12th July 2022, 07:15   #27
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Seems this doesn't apply to cyclists:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2022, 07:48   #28
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If there was an accident around the bend, then the accident would not be jogging towards you. He obviously was driving within the distance he could see to be clear because he managed to stop despite the jogger (accident) coming towards him.

Quote:
You were obviously driving no faster than you could see was clear which is good

Perhaps you missed my first line?

Anyhow idiot jogger was on the wrong side of the road if he was on the inside of a blind bend. While generally pedestrians on roads without pavements should be facing oncoming traffic on the right side of the road - pedestrians are also advised that it may be safer to cross the road near to avoid being on the inside of a tight bend - https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rule...destrians.html

This advice hasn't changed since I first read the code. Not that many pedestrians seem to be aware of it. (ignorance is no excuse).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2022, 07:58   #29
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
I had a tractor and trailer hit me at a bend in the road, after he drove the wrong way on a one way system. I was driving sensibly and was almost stopped at the time of impact. The traffic police who attended, measured the road and the skidmarks and estimated my speed at 25 mph. He reminded the tractor driver of the old thinking distance and braking distance aswell as marching him back to the previous junction to show him the "No Entry" signs!!! He also said that on a narrow bend, you need to double the distance to allow for the driver coming the other way!!!

I had nightmares for months afterwards and still get a bit panicky when I see those things coming towards me!

It had only been a few months before that I had seen the roof ripped off a car by the side board on a farm trailer dropping outwards, as it bounced along the road and stuck out sideways hanging on the chains. The car driver (coming the other way) was hit in the face by the metal framing and was lucky to be alive. Her four year old was sat in the passenger seat and was just cut on the head, as the windscreen whipped upwards with the roof.

The lady has recovered but has had recurring phases of severe headaches and facial pain.
Old 12th July 2022, 08:28   #30
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps you missed my first line?

Anyhow idiot jogger was on the wrong side of the road if he was on the inside of a blind bend. While generally pedestrians on roads without pavements should be facing oncoming traffic on the right side of the road - pedestrians are also advised that it may be safer to cross the road near to avoid being on the inside of a tight bend - https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rule...destrians.html

This advice hasn't changed since I first read the code. Not that many pedestrians seem to be aware of it. (ignorance is no excuse).

I used to live in the New Forest, the number of pedestrians that walked on the left, the same side as we drive is unbelievable. Bring back the teaching of the Green Cross Code, teaching children to cross the road seems a thing of the past, just watch parents cross the road with children just yards fro zebra crossings or pedestrian traffic lights.
Challenge parents and some get rude or think you are a madman.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote