Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th July 2022, 14:47   #1
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Question possible security tracker, just a thought

Having seen the recent STOLEN thread I got to thinking.
As I mentioned on the thread, the SMARTNAV system installed in a lot of our cars had the ability for the car to be located and tracked. I believe they used mobile phone technology to accomplish this.

Being a Diesel owner I have installed a GSM unit to give me remote control of the FBH I installed, but this also gives me a mobile phone number that could be tracked it some scum decide to take my car, though who would want a diesel (with a leak atm ).

So there it is, fit a GSM on a permanent live and there you have a tracker.
Install the unit behind the drivers side cupholder (blank) with a 'T' antenna behind the instrument binnacle just under the surface of the plastic dash cover and you should be good to go.
Fit a PAYG sim, £10, then once a month text 'Csq' to the unit and get a reply. This keeps the number valid
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2022, 15:21   #2
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

The old 260 has its own personal mobile number and it can be set remotely to text me if it moves without my permission or text me where it is on request.

Even works if any oik disconnects the battery as I gave it its own Separate power.

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2022, 16:05   #3
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Having seen the recent STOLEN thread I got to thinking.
As I mentioned on the thread, the SMARTNAV system installed in a lot of our cars had the ability for the car to be located and tracked. I believe they used mobile phone technology to accomplish this.

Being a Diesel owner I have installed a GSM unit to give me remote control of the FBH I installed, but this also gives me a mobile phone number that could be tracked it some scum decide to take my car, though who would want a diesel (with a leak atm ).

So there it is, fit a GSM on a permanent live and there you have a tracker.
Install the unit behind the drivers side cupholder (blank) with a 'T' antenna behind the instrument binnacle just under the surface of the plastic dash cover and you should be good to go.
Fit a PAYG sim, £10, then once a month text 'Csq' to the unit and get a reply. This keeps the number valid
I too run the same system, I was thinking along the lines of an ignition cut via text, linked to the drivers seat moving to max forward position and backrest full forward tilt lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2022, 16:32   #4
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I too run the same system, I was thinking along the lines of an ignition cut via text, linked to the drivers seat moving to max forward position and backrest full forward tilt lol
That should do it
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2022, 17:05   #5
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Followed by the driver’s airbag, for good measure.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2022, 19:23   #6
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2022, 19:58   #7
Bazzateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
The old 260 has its own personal mobile number and it can be set remotely to text me if it moves without my permission or text me where it is on request.

Even works if any oik disconnects the battery as I gave it its own Separate power.

C
Same on all my cars.
Old 9th July 2022, 20:39   #8
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Have a look at aftermarket immobilisers. I have a Pandora Smart Pro v3 fitted to my Alpina. They aren't cheap. It can control the entire car via a mobile app as it connected to Canbus, it has a second fob for immo that is needed to start. It also has lots of sensors that can trigger the alarm, I get a notification if there is a shock detected, and if the shock is hard enough the alarm is triggered and I get a phone call from the car. Also has full 4G tracking and the siren is very very loud . You can also move the alarm from car to car when you sell it.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2022, 08:02   #9
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
Followed by the driver’s airbag, for good measure.
Yep! What a great idea, that would finish em off lol.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2022, 10:07   #10
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post

C

Chris,
sounds interesting, is this a 'proprietary' unit or 'home made'
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote