Notices

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2022, 13:34   #1
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Real Rules

Bye the bye, on recent and not so recent posts, and in the hope of some balance:

It’s a lengthy forum with a wide variety of interesting subjects available for discussion. What else would be so attractive for members to enjoy and prospective members to join? I wonder how many members do not actually have a 75, and how many have sold or retired theirs some time ago?

There’s something for everyone from all walks of life and I admit there are some subjects that have little or no interest for me, so I either don’t go there or don’t get het up about it. If one crops up - it's best to move on. Wouldn't dream of being an objector. I reckon the Mods do a good job in allowing some latitude.

The ‘P’ word is full of traps and pitfalls but it is also real life. The rules are just and fine, not a problem. What counts is that odd concept, tolerance. Those who are unable to be just a bit tolerant can of course just move on. No fuss, no palaver.

On a personal note, I joined my first one-model Rover club (P6 club – see, a ‘P’ in the word) in 1970 and still have the membership card with my Ppppp6 on it. I was in it for years with nary a problem.
Old 17th July 2022, 14:33   #2
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Sold my ZT 6 years ago now, proceeds went to Breast Cancer UK as my wife had been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer the year before. Tough old battle it is too.

Like you Ray I still visit and comment on some of the none car subjects. The mods don't do a bad job, which must be quite difficult at times.

Love the replacement though, my S Type.
Old 17th July 2022, 15:26   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

I've been a member here since 2007.
I sold my ZT-T back in 2017 when I changed my career and my mileage went through the roof!

However, I've stuck around as I have made many great friends on here. The fact is we have a fairly active social section that allows us to keep in touch and to share our 'non' car related subjects with each other.

I rarely visit the car related forums on here now as they are not really relevant for me anymore.

I don't really see why the clammer for restricting non car related sections of the forum.
If they hold no interest, scroll on by to find something that does. Simple really.
It would be a poorer place if it just became a technical resource forum in my opinion.

Having said that, the club needs to keep that very much as the core of the forum for a reason to exist.
That certainly needs to be kept on top of and all the technical know how archived for easy access.

Let us keep this club in rude health by enjoying it and contributing to it. Better than moaning I don't like this, I don't like that and going all Victor Meldrew about it

Last edited by coolcat; 17th July 2022 at 17:35.. Reason: Spelling
Old 17th July 2022, 16:33   #4
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Bye the bye, on recent and not so recent posts, and in the hope of some balance:

It’s a lengthy forum with a wide variety of interesting subjects available for discussion. What else would be so attractive for members to enjoy and prospective members to join? I wonder how many members do not actually have a 75, and how many have sold or retired theirs some time ago?

There’s something for everyone from all walks of life and I admit there are some subjects that have little or no interest for me, so I either don’t go there or don’t get het up about it. If one crops up - it's best to move on. Wouldn't dream of being an objector. I reckon the Mods do a good job in allowing some latitude.

The ‘P’ word is full of traps and pitfalls but it is also real life. The rules are just and fine, not a problem. What counts is that odd concept, tolerance. Those who are unable to be just a bit tolerant can of course just move on. No fuss, no palaver.

On a personal note, I joined my first one-model Rover club (P6 club – see, a ‘P’ in the word) in 1970 and still have the membership card with my Ppppp6 on it. I was in it for years with nary a problem.

Completely agree with your sentiments Ray,the social section gives a diverse membership a platform to discuss 'Life'.I can never understand why some take the trouble post up that a particular thread is of no interest to them.Too much time on their hands and disrespectful if you ask me
Old 17th July 2022, 17:23   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I can never understand why some take the trouble post up that a particular thread is of no interest to them.Too much time on their hands and disrespectful if you ask me
Its not as if the social section is in your face, you have to scroll to it and physically click on it to enter. Probably the kind of people who aren't happy unless they have something to moan about. I'd have nightmares about being out with them, not allowed to speak unless what you say is car related.

T4 Location Map
Old 17th July 2022, 17:45   #6
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanks all, cheered me up no end! Think it must have been the morphine wearing off. Came out of Hossy yesterday with not very good news - but everything should be good by the end of the year.
Old 17th July 2022, 18:48   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I enjoy reading well written and thought provoking threads such as by yourself Ray, I rarely partake because I'm outgunned intellectually by most 😁👍

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
Old 17th July 2022, 19:00   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Completely agree with your sentiments Ray,the social section gives a diverse membership a platform to discuss 'Life'.I can never understand why some take the trouble post up that a particular thread is of no interest to them.Too much time on their hands and disrespectful if you ask me
Last year, I passed on my 1998 S reg pre-launch Rover 75 to a fellow member, a very good friend, who has the skills and resources to keep it going and to restore it to a showroom standard, I didn’t get another 75/ZT to replace it, but I don’t rule out getting another at a later date.

All the points you make are strong and valid. I find the social section is quite entertaining and for those of us who are not on Facebook or mainstream social media, it’s useful to see what others are doing or thinking about in their life during these ever challenging and changing times.
Old 17th July 2022, 19:03   #9
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Yeah, right Ron. You don't actually expect us to be taken in by that do you?
Old 18th July 2022, 10:51   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Other Places To Post & Visit Try Them.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Its not as if the social section is in your face, you have to scroll to it and physically click on it to enter. Probably the kind of people who aren't happy unless they have something to moan about. I'd have nightmares about being out with them, not allowed to speak unless what you say is car related.

I am in the camp of the above it seems, so maybe it's time like pointed out above time to move on.

I don't actually go looking in the social forums, it all depends on how you look at the forum how you use it, IE i always go to quick links, todays posts, it is then that you can see that the social forum is almost always at the top of the list.

Only then do i see the titles and think what, why, who would want to know such drivel, not all threads but take a good look through some of the threads, it does not make sense to me.

So yes 12 years is a long time maybe it's coming to an end and time i spent more time on my other forums FL1, FL2, Nano, community, food for thought indeed.

Please don't post up, it would be sorry to see you go etc as i am not after sympathy etc, as i am a person whom once he's had enough of something i move on, discard it.

But yes i will try not to let drivel get to me, and i don't have loads of time on my hands, in fact there are not enough hours in the day to keep up with what i have planned, only this weekend have i removed two doors and all the trims from them 14 hours, including how to find out the best way to pull that elusive lock spring so you can remove the thumb part of the handle without damage, oil changed, and still loads to do, i am over and out.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Closed Thread