Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd August 2022, 06:16   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

If one needs to make a journey, then fuel is needed. I had to do that on Monday, so popped in to my local Tesco ( always the cheapest) for a dose of E5 at £190.9 per litre, Tuesday, it dropped to £183.9, doh!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2022, 07:44   #12
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Shell:

https://money.cnn.com/quote/sharehol...=institutional

BP:

https://money.cnn.com/quote/sharehol...=institutional
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:00   #13
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

£1.88.9 for 99 rons Tesco untimate here...
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:26   #14
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

All of the pension providers in every company and enterprise have committed gamblers of varying expertise and experience who invest heavily right across the share/dividend markets.

Their portfolios contain stars (and duds - until proven otherwise). Actuaries have preferences based on a combination of their personal opinions and experience and are extremely competitive but are governed by their Boards. Basically, they are sheep being chased by a dog called Lossie. So they, well nearly all of them, run in the same direction.

The mavericks amongst them never ever use their own money, but rely on those with funds to gamble with and hope for massive gains. They have ample funds to take a chance with. Every pension provider has a mix of these wizards and their results ultimately guide the pension departments of the companies and enterprises that actuarily, now there’s a relevant word, govern pension payments. In short, a high stakes game of Poker. And, as ever, every game has a pig in it.

Right at the end of this serpentine money trail lies the pensioner. The only part of it that has no control or input. But plenty of crumbs.

Last edited by wraymond; 3rd August 2022 at 09:32..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:20   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Arnt alot of private or none private pensions linked to oil. I thought th bigger th slush fund th more stable they are.

You are absolutely right.

There are broadly three types of pensions

1. Private pension - where the individial builds up a personal pension pot with a financial firm who invest the money in various stocks and expect to achieve a return so that the projected pension can hopefully increase with time in line with inflation.

2. Company provided pensions - which are another form of a private pension but managed by the company's pension scheme and overseen by trustees.

3. State pension.

The first two invest the pension funds across a range of sectors including property, energy, aerospace etc. and rely on achieving a higher-than-inflation return in order to keep paying individual pensions linked to an index such as RPI or CPI.

All those who object to shareholders receiving company profits are in fact saying that they do not wish their pension if in one or both of the first two categories to increase with time and inflation. They should really put this in writing to their pension provider who I am sure will be grateful for their principles led position!

Similarly, there is a simple solution for those who consider the pension fund investment manangers to be some sort of undesirable gamblers - do not partake in a company or private pension and enjoy your principles on circa £158 a week state pension plus personal savings.
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:36   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Boycott BP & Shell

I have refused to purchase any of my fuel from BP, Shell, or Esso, since the pandemic started, once they put up their fuel prices, they are the first to raise them and last to let them drop.

Only way to deal with these giants is to mass boycott their fuel garages, it will let them know we are not going to stand for it.

Trouble is though we the British/English cannot stick together on anything, so it will never happen.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:25   #17
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I have refused to purchase any of my fuel from BP, Shell, or Esso, since the pandemic started, once they put up their fuel prices, they are the first to raise them and last to let them drop.

Only way to deal with these giants is to mass boycott their fuel garages, it will let them know we are not going to stand for it.

Trouble is though we the British/English cannot stick together on anything, so it will never happen.
Fuel sales is not where they make the bulk of their money - it is oil exploration. For BP when they price of oil is approx $40 a barrel that is their break even point. At the moment it is well over $100 a barrel so as the cost of exploration is fixed then it becomes all profit unless it is reinvested.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:42   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Fuel sales is not where they make the bulk of their money - it is oil exploration. For BP when they price of oil is approx $40 a barrel that is their break even point. At the moment it is well over $100 a barrel so as the cost of exploration is fixed then it becomes all profit unless it is reinvested.

This also means that regardless of the retailer we use for our fuel purchase, it is Shell, BP ... that will make the majority of the profit from the current price of oil through the process of extraction and refining.

I can see from your post #6 and the one above that you are one of a very small percentage of the public who understand service component based pricing and regulated 'equivalence of opportunity'.
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:38   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Hi Mike
Thank you for the explanation, interesting but they will still not get my money ever from now on.

And i still think if they were boycotted it would make them sit up and think.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2022, 14:17   #20
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
All of the pension providers in every company and enterprise have committed gamblers of varying expertise and experience who invest heavily right across the share/dividend markets.

Their portfolios contain stars (and duds - until proven otherwise). Actuaries have preferences based on a combination of their personal opinions and experience and are extremely competitive but are governed by their Boards. Basically, they are sheep being chased by a dog called Lossie. So they, well nearly all of them, run in the same direction.

The mavericks amongst them never ever use their own money, but rely on those with funds to gamble with and hope for massive gains. They have ample funds to take a chance with. Every pension provider has a mix of these wizards and their results ultimately guide the pension departments of the companies and enterprises that actuarily, now there’s a relevant word, govern pension payments. In short, a high stakes game of Poker. And, as ever, every game has a pig in it.

Right at the end of this serpentine money trail lies the pensioner. The only part of it that has no control or input. But plenty of crumbs.
Or gamble ya own way

As discussed there are different formats for private pensions, one where you have more control is a SIPP, where you take advice, but you decide what your money is in vested in. When you retire you can then take an income and still invest, draw some leave some, more flexible, you need good advice, it’s all a mine field...