Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th September 2009, 21:50   #1
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Dash warning lights

Dear all,
I have a chance to buy a CDTi and I went to see it.

The vendor (a nice genuine guy) had said it had passed an MOT, but the dash warning lights, including the ABS light came on and off intermittently.

I noticed as he had the bonnet up charging the battery, that there were leaf deposits everywhere undert he bonnet and in the plenum area.

The drain on the passenger side was full of "mud" and the odd leaf.

I assume that clearing the area under the ECU may well put the intermittent (includes handbrake light staying on and allsorts of other illumination) would fix this, once the damp clears.

However, having been driven mad by a faulty ABS/air bag lights on my old Ford Scorpio, I am reluctant to buy a car that is perfect for me otherwise.

I realise that this is a big ask, but has anyone else had this, intermittent, multiple warning light problem, and was it solved by loosing the swimming pool under the ECU?

Best wishes, Frank
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 22:02   #2
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoldstar View Post
Dear all,
I have a chance to buy a CDTi and I went to see it.

The vendor (a nice genuine guy) had said it had passed an MOT, but the dash warning lights, including the ABS light came on and off intermittently.

I noticed as he had the bonnet up charging the battery, that there were leaf deposits everywhere undert he bonnet and in the plenum area.

The drain on the passenger side was full of "mud" and the odd leaf.

I assume that clearing the area under the ECU may well put the intermittent (includes handbrake light staying on and allsorts of other illumination) would fix this, once the damp clears.

However, having been driven mad by a faulty ABS/air bag lights on my old Ford Scorpio, I am reluctant to buy a car that is perfect for me otherwise.

I realise that this is a big ask, but has anyone else had this, intermittent, multiple warning light problem, and was it solved by loosing the swimming pool under the ECU?

Best wishes, Frank
If it was my money, I'd walk away. There's plenty of other examples to consider.

A flooded ECU can be dried out, but the damage may not show for a few months. Having said that, the ECU can be repaired at a cost, but do you want a potential ticking time bomb.

Also, a wet ECU may not be the reason for the warning lights, there may be other issues to address.

Just my tuppence worth!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 22:02   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Welcome along

the lights on the dash is normal....turn the key to P1 and you'll get all the lights, start the engine and you should be left with handbrake warning light.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 23:13   #4
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoldstar View Post
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Dear Tatts and Greeners,

the lights (including the handbrake light when the hand brake light when the handbrake had been taken off) remained on when the engine had been started.

Tatts reply was sound advice, but this seems like a good buy in that the vendor is genuine I am very sure.

He is a private seller who has had the car repaired after cat c insurance claim because there was only cosmetic body panel damage - front offside wing etc,.

As I intend to keep the car untill one of us dies, that does not matter to me, so a 2003 CDTi for reasonable money, when he obviously does not know about the cause of the lights problem, and cleared the nearside drain hole under my direction, seems like a no-brainer.

However, as Tatts said ther could be other problems.

My gut feel is that the water problem is at the root of the lights, but I have been wrong before (wonderful Ford Scorpio estate - ABS lights and air bag warnings that should be easy to trace, but, like the 75, these cars have more wiring than a submarine, and just as easy to get to) so feedback is important to help me decide.

By the way, I attach no blame to any opinions, the decision will be mine for better or not!

Keep the opinions coming. I will read them all and hope somebody reads the thread having had a similar experience.

Best wishes, Frank
Old 4th September 2009, 23:43   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I would go for a drowned ECU causing most of Problems.
ECU doctor can normally repair at a price of course.
If its a ABS sensor the speedo normally dies to, but not always,
can also be caused by the Bearings /abs ring which all come as one unit.

Only you can decide but there are lots out there with no faults indicated.
I personally wouldn't.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 5th September 2009 at 07:29..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 23:55   #6
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Dear John,

agreed it should make me walk away.

I forgot to also add in that it all worked before he had the accident, and that the TV/sat nav, and the CD player had also gone missing.

I still reckon that the water/leaf problem is at the root of all this, but I think I might chicken out anyway.

But then, maybe not.

I am uncertain, about being unsure!

Thanks for the help.

Best wishes, Frank B
Old 5th September 2009, 05:01   #7
v192mak
Banned

Saloon V6 Connie SE & MG Rover T4

This sounds like a 75 estate I saw a few months back. It was a 2001 White Gold example and had nearly everything on it.

Had a constant ABS issue and the sat nav had gone up the creek.

In the end I couldnt find the fault for him after scratching my head. It did have a majour repair to the loom on the passanger side behind the bumper and I suspected this was the issue and it needed a new repair but we never got that far.

Dont know if the person who had the car gave up on it or sold it on but this error sounds very much the same issue.
v192mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 05:57   #8
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

I would walk always. lots more out.. may look a good price but add any repair bills to it could cost more it the long run.

have been with out my car for 4 week trying to find why the ABS light is on as soon as the car is moved.
after having the abs codes read it's the pump.
water has not got near to my ECU. but that burnt some out inside that cost over £200 to put right.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote