Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th October 2011, 23:48   #1
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Electrical problems

2002 conny SE auto CDT saloon.

Without a lot of back story, I have got a new conny saloon and it has a few electrical problems.

To start, the IPK readout is in German, even though the dials are English.

Who cares, I think. I know kph IPKs are available, and I do not need a phrasebook (wrong).

The ATC does not seem to work most of the time. I turned on the fan manually (when I bought the car that is - this comment being correct for some of the other "faults" since found) and the fan worked.

I did not try the heated rear window for actual heating, but the light came on in the switch when I pressed it.

Cruise worked, lights ok, heated seats etc.

I found the door mirror adjustment switches did not work, but the lights were on in the door panel, so I assumed that it would be a minor problem.

When I came to use the car after collecting it, the heating did not seem to work, no blower even when the engine got warm and it was cool enough to require the heating.

The blower manual settings did not stir the fan to action, and the first cool morning revealed the heated rear window (despite the switch being lit up) did not work.

Now I find the demist function of the ATC does not work, no blower and no heated rear screen.

I only found out the parking sensors did not work when I read how they should work on the site!

I pressed the rear sun blind switch and it worked. I stabbed at it a few times and it went up and down like it should.

When I next tried to make it work, nothing happened other than I think I can hear a relay click.

I then read the last "service report" given to me when I bought the car and it included "check for non-operation of windscrenn washer - no feed - carry out wiring mods and test".

I have now looked at the wiring a bit more, and there is an obvious separate feed from the engine fusebox towards the direction of the washer pump, obvious that is if you look for it!

I have checked fuses, etc., and all are fine, with the proviso that the engine fusebox has the added fuse for the washer pump, and there were at three other fuses hanging on wires in the passenger fusebox.

Oops.

Time to look at the owners site.

Wiring mods seem to form a theme of messing up the basic car functions, so I need to bottom them.

Plenums clear, no sign of water damage on the ECU.

I will check the BCU area for water ingress.

I will look for wiring loom damage as reported on the site.

I also read on the site that a dodgy FBH can cause all sorts of problems, so I will try a reset of that and report back.

Anything I missed? Or just feedback from anyone who has the strage mic of ATC/BCU/wiring.

What puzzles me most is the

Best wishes,

Frankgoldstar - north west - added my tag to the map on the site. Finally sorted my paypal woes and did the membership thing. great!
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 10:38   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoldstar View Post
2002 conny SE auto CDT saloon.

Without a lot of back story, I have got a new conny saloon and it has a few electrical problems.

To start, the IPK readout is in German, even though the dials are English.

Who cares, I think. I know kph IPKs are available, and I do not need a phrasebook (wrong).

The ATC does not seem to work most of the time. I turned on the fan manually (when I bought the car that is - this comment being correct for some of the other "faults" since found) and the fan worked.

I did not try the heated rear window for actual heating, but the light came on in the switch when I pressed it.

Cruise worked, lights ok, heated seats etc.

I found the door mirror adjustment switches did not work, but the lights were on in the door panel, so I assumed that it would be a minor problem.

When I came to use the car after collecting it, the heating did not seem to work, no blower even when the engine got warm and it was cool enough to require the heating.

The blower manual settings did not stir the fan to action, and the first cool morning revealed the heated rear window (despite the switch being lit up) did not work.

Now I find the demist function of the ATC does not work, no blower and no heated rear screen.

I only found out the parking sensors did not work when I read how they should work on the site!

I pressed the rear sun blind switch and it worked. I stabbed at it a few times and it went up and down like it should.

When I next tried to make it work, nothing happened other than I think I can hear a relay click.

I then read the last "service report" given to me when I bought the car and it included "check for non-operation of windscrenn washer - no feed - carry out wiring mods and test".

I have now looked at the wiring a bit more, and there is an obvious separate feed from the engine fusebox towards the direction of the washer pump, obvious that is if you look for it!

I have checked fuses, etc., and all are fine, with the proviso that the engine fusebox has the added fuse for the washer pump, and there were at three other fuses hanging on wires in the passenger fusebox.

Oops.

Time to look at the owners site.

Wiring mods seem to form a theme of messing up the basic car functions, so I need to bottom them.

Plenums clear, no sign of water damage on the ECU.

I will check the BCU area for water ingress.

I will look for wiring loom damage as reported on the site.

I also read on the site that a dodgy FBH can cause all sorts of problems, so I will try a reset of that and report back.

Anything I missed? Or just feedback from anyone who has the strage mic of ATC/BCU/wiring.

What puzzles me most is the

Best wishes,

Frankgoldstar - north west - added my tag to the map on the site. Finally sorted my paypal woes and did the membership thing. great!
try a batterty reset ,dont forget to have the radio code handy and everything is shut down as it should be ,sometimes this cures electrical promblems ,if that fails then there is a loom that goes through the wing area that sometimes gets cut ,check for bare wires that maybe touching the car body or may be broken ...

Last edited by chrissyboy; 27th October 2011 at 14:08..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 11:01   #3
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

As Chris has said try disconnect the battery this some times solves a lot of electrical problems
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 11:04   #4
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

There is a fuse which works part of the ATC and Mirrors. F11 sounds familar but check in the handbook!

The german readout can be changed on a T4
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 16:14   #5
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Electrical problems

Dear all,

thanks for the replies I got re the sparky problems my new conny is displaying.

I tried taking out the 6 way control connector to the FBH and the car displayed a few more strange things after, rather than being any better.

As it was raining I am inclined to check for loom damage, although I would have thought shorting would have taken out at least one of the fuses, which are in fact, all sound.

Most striking of the new strange things was that I took out the FBH connector, left the car for a few hours, and whne I came back, the auot wipers were working.

I then noticed that I had left the control stalk in the first position, but the ignition key was out - however, the car did not mind as the lower disply of the IPK was cheeerily lit up showing mileage etc!

When I tried to lock the car, it gave a beep and refused to operate the locks.

When I got home, the display went out, the car locked, but after 5 minutes, the alarm went off, and the display was back on.

The display is now off, and the locks and alarm working.

I might have got further with the car, but I got a bug and spent Friday in bed, so forgive the late reply.

I will now try to get a radio code for the car and do the battery reset as advised by all you knowlegable owners out there and report back.

Best regards, Frank
Old 29th October 2011, 18:21   #6
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Gremlins

It is a feature of the central locking that you will get a beep if any of the doors, the bonnet, or the boot, are not properly closed. One of those on your car seems to be iffy.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 18:55   #7
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Dear Gremlin,

I am fairly sure it is not the doors.

The fact that the IPK was lit up and the wipers going on auto pretty much convinced me of that.

The latest manifestation of the "Electrical Gremlins", if you will allow the usage, was that the IPK message centre told me I had a bulb out.

This is the second time it has done that in a week, and in both cases there were no blown bulbs, and the message went away next time the car was started.

More work to be done.

Best wishes, Frank
Old 29th October 2011, 19:26   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoldstar View Post
Dear Gremlin,

I am fairly sure it is not the doors.

The fact that the IPK was lit up and the wipers going on auto pretty much convinced me of that.

The latest manifestation of the "Electrical Gremlins", if you will allow the usage, was that the IPK message centre told me I had a bulb out.

This is the second time it has done that in a week, and in both cases there were no blown bulbs, and the message went away next time the car was started.

More work to be done.

Best wishes, Frank
Quite possible...

If a connection to a lamp is intermitant, then the IPK will flag it up as a blown lamp. Does it say which actual lamp? Make a note of it and check the lamp connections and socket for the lamp.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 20:18   #9
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Dear All,

latest news is that I took off the negative terminal for a half hour and then reconnected it.

The IPK, which had been in German came back on in English!

As I undestood it, if it was in German, it woulkd take a T4 to change it.

Still more puzzling was the fact that the radio did not need re-coding and came on straight away.

The power down did not cure the various gremlins either.

The fuel guage still does not work reliably, being intermittently working and then showing nothing in the tank, and the IPK shows no mileage left and gives a reserve warning, even thought it has a near full tank.

There is a clicking noise from the rear blind area when the button is pressed, but no blind. This did work a few times last week, but not since.

The ATC is all lit up, and I can change the settings as normal, but there is no fan action at all. Again, the fan did work on manual lat week, once.

No heated rear window etc, but the heated seats works.

I had a brief look at the wiring where I could see it under the engine compartment fusebox, and could not see anything amiss.

As mentioned before, there are numerous extra fuses badly wired in, and I have to chase them in the wiring when I get time.

Some questions of the knowledgeable on this website.

When I saw that the IPK was in German, I had a thought that it might have been replaced and not been set up on a T4 correctly.

I wondered if a new IPK had to be"introduced" to the BCU.

The fact that the IPK is now in English after a battery reset seems to throw the whole idea out though, but I still would like to know if the BCU might not be set up properly.

And also, will a code reader, such as the Autel 702 maxi reader, read the basic fault codes from the car?

I have a list of these, so if I can see the codes, I can work out what they mean.

Best wishes, Frank
Old 30th October 2011, 20:28   #10
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i suspect damage to the loom which caused the washer problem.then along comes joe blogs adds a new feed and gods no/s what else this wiring is what might be the problem it has been connected to somewhere it should not be probally the bcu.which inturn is creating these other problems. i would start buy removing the bumper and checking the loom at the area at the end off the slam beam.