Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th December 2015, 16:25   #1
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Default SatNav light on always ZT-T V6 51 Plate

Hi Folks,

Just got hold of Dad-in-law's 51 Plate V6 ZT-T and it had a battery drain and some advice here led me to pull the SatNav drive which was staying live.

Got it out and someone has obviously opened the unit before as the warranty seals were broken. Can't see any real water damage but there is one tiny bit of rust on the chassis inside and mild evidence of some white residue on the base but the whole boot and surroundings appear bone dry. The passenger footwells are wet from plenum blockage but I'm drying that out.

The SatNav unit was recognised by the highline (said it was there and now I've taken the box out it isn't an option on screen) and was ejecting the disc all the time with the red light remaining on all the time.

The box I've got is YIB000160 from September 2001 but from what I have read it should be a YIB000260. So has someone chucked a replacement in there in the past? If I get a replacement do I need to get a 260?

Simon (SD1too) said "this happens when the battery has been disconnected without waiting for the sat. nav. drive to shut down (indicated by the red LED extinguishing). There's no known solution for this I'm afraid, other than replacing the sat. nav. unit" so I'm guessing it's another unit for me!

Any advice / help gratefully received.

Jonty

p.s. In the boot space where the SatNav box was I have a spare pair of connectors hanging around - both multiblock units with black connectors and fewer pins than for the SatNav...any idea what they are from/for? Am I missing anything?
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 21:30   #2
laser558
Avid contributor

MG ZT260 MGZT-T 190 Rover 75 Tourer MG ZT 190+

Did you get this sorted? I have a spare unit to try if that would help.
laser558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 13:25   #3
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser558 View Post
Did you get this sorted? I have a spare unit to try if that would help.
That's really kind - thanks.

I have picked up a spare unit but yet to stick it in and try it. Will let you know if I get the chance to fire it up.

Jonty
Old 17th April 2016, 13:28   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Check the link below for how to shut down correctly before removing
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 23:28   #5
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Thanks Greeners.

I guess when installing a unit one should wait just as you do when disconnecting so that systems have powered down?

Is it best to work through the raised tourer tailgate window or can I leave the tailgate up and the system will still go to sleep?

Jonty
Old 23rd April 2016, 09:59   #6
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Sat nav drive

I had this happen on my Connie and got an auto electrician to install a solenoid in the feed, so that when the ignition was switched-off the drive did not drain the battery. This does seem to be not an uncommon problem.
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:28   #7
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal2218 View Post
I had this happen on my Connie and got an auto electrician to install a solenoid in the feed, so that when the ignition was switched-off the drive did not drain the battery. This does seem to be not an uncommon problem.
Nice idea!

Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2016, 16:22   #8
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Default Solved :-)

Hi Folks,

Well, I have finally got round to solving the problem of my highline sat nav box remaining on and draining the battery. The number of sleep/shutdowns and disconnect/reconnect cycles it took today has been interesting but at least my battery earth terminal is nice and easy to work now!

I took the nav unit out a few months back and the highline display reverted to the chunky graphics look without the sat nav providing the higher quality output signal and have been running around without the nav unit.

A few months back I got a box of highline gear off Nathan on here including a nav drive with the same numbers as mine. Tried it last night and the unit fired up and the red light shut down once left alone. But alas, no GPS option and chunky graphics remained. Battery off and left it for ages in case...but still no joy. So, I took to the boards as with 2 nav drives on the desk there's a chance of one good from two bad I thought.

Found an exceedingly useful post by John (le-sabre) about the 6 way ribbon cable that runs from the guts of the nav unit to the eject button etc. on the face plate and how that can become corroded.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=224340

Grabbed my old drive and got the tiny torx bits out and set to that slightly scary 'strip it down' process. Once apart fully I did indeed find that the ribbon cable was scruffy at the face plate end and on dismantling found the exposed ends had suffered somewhat with one foil track actually being broken. I have some conductive ink (a bit like the paint you use to repair heated screen element breaks) so I cleaned away the rubbish and painted a couple of coats over the break and then tested for continuity...the Fluke meter beeped and so I stuck it all back together. Picture of the ribbon 'repair' attached below - failed track on the left hand side.

Out to the car, plugs and aerial connected in the boot and then stuck the battery terminal back on. Nav unit running and then went to sleep as it should. Feeling confident so ignition on and there on the screen...

GPS Navigation

Twiddle and select...needs the CD. Stick CD in and it spat it out. The unit did the hokey cokey with the CD and the nav option on screen was dark and couldn't be selected. So, the units have different faults - mine appearing to be talking to the other highline gear and giving the correct graphics with the radio on but just not dealing with the CD whereas the other unit wouldn't talk to the car but took the CD ok.

So, both units back on the desk..strip my CD drive out and replace with the one from the other nav unit. Whilst there notice that the second nav unit has a perfect ribbon cable for the face plate so nicked that. Rebuilt the unit, out to the car and...

...I can see a map of where I live and it all seems to work. Not had a drive yet but I guess it looks OK so far.

Thanks to everyone who has posted about all the issues as they helped me understand some of the system and solve this.

I guess all I need now is a CD that's newer than 2002...any advice on who I can turn to?

Cheers,

Jonty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo040.jpg (77.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Photo041.jpg (55.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Photo042.jpg (95.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Photo043.jpg (80.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 5th October 2016, 18:19   #9
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

So today I had a scrolling map on screen with a little blue cheese wedge moving around and for the first time my sat nav talked to me bless her!

Directions on screen also working, along with cursors, destination history etc etc. :-)

Only issue is with new roads being built I was heading across fields at one point on the screen - the sat nav silent wondering what was happening!

Guess I'd best source an update for the disc. Any ideas? :-)
Old 6th October 2016, 09:04   #10
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Pm on its way re. disc