Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th March 2016, 13:41   #1
wooly12345
Gets stuck in

Rover 75

Default LPG and Diesel Mix? EH!!!!!

Never heard of this before:

The car itself seems pretty basic club model but what was under the bonnet that took my interest...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2...kAAOSwr7ZW6EW0

Is there any members trying this LPG/Diesel blend conversion?
wooly12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 14:10   #2
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

I have seen a Diesel/ LPG conversion van! Cant see the point personally, you buy a Diesel for the MPG which out weighs the cost of buying the stuff in the first place.
Old 28th March 2016, 14:14   #3
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Posted before last week
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 15:37   #4
wooly12345
Gets stuck in

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
I have seen a Diesel/ LPG conversion van! Cant see the point personally, you buy a Diesel for the MPG which out weighs the cost of buying the stuff in the first place.
I totally agree with you Charlie, petrol/LPG conversion on something like a range rover I totally understand the idea of but a rover 75 diesel/LPG which only gives a 20% monetary saving? It would be easier to put energy saving tyres on and keeping your £1,800 in your pocket...
wooly12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 16:13   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly12345 View Post
I totally agree with you Charlie, petrol/LPG conversion on something like a range rover I totally understand the idea of but a rover 75 diesel/LPG which only gives a 20% monetary saving? It would be easier to put energy saving tyres on and keeping your £1,800 in your pocket...
It states in the ad, that it is the company's demonstrator. I guess it is a case of advertising that LPG can be done on a diesel as well. I imagine Range Rovers diesels are not particularly fuel efficient (relatively speaking of course they are , compared to a petrol V8 lol) . As well as a display of the company's ability. I dont see the point myself either. Even if you were considering driving lots of miles, and wanted an R75, I would be paying them the £2000 to install a system into a cheaper V6 lol, and get the same overall fuel costs lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 16:18   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

LPG enrichment in a diesel engine enables it to run more efficiently, increasing the temperatures inside the combustion chamber and ensuring that more of the diesel fuel is burnt. Usually diesel engines only utilise about 80% of the fuel injected. The clouds of unburnt hydrocarbons from some diesels is testament to this.

So LPG injection is a supplement to diesel not a replacement. Totally different than with LPG/Petrol duel fuel cars where you can run the engin on one of the other at a flick of a switch.

With a diesel/LPG system the LPG simply increases the burn of the diesel. The benefit in fuel efficiency is significant but perhaps of more interest of late is that this efficiency brings with it a marked reduction in emisions.

So a LPG supplement system could be the answer for those of us that like our diesel cars but are likely to face future emission tariffs

Other benefits is that It does not increase engine power but does improve the torque curve – which can be a real benefit if you tow anything.

Diesel “Utes” and big wagons in Australia regularly have this conversion – no doubt the higher distances in Oz make the conversion cost easier to deal with.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 16:28   #7
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
When I had my TV repair shop I used a Citroen ZX Aura 1.9 Turbo estate as my "company vehicle" at the end of the road was a small auto shop and dealership that tuned various cars. They had a ZX NASP diesel that had been modified for Propane and diesel mix, that car was a rocket and very clean indeed.
Allegedly the LPG mod works far better on non turbo cars and it can be used to gain a lot more power. Seems though to have died a death these days.
Old 28th March 2016, 19:06   #8
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly12345 View Post
Never heard of this before:

The car itself seems pretty basic club model but what was under the bonnet that took my interest...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2...kAAOSwr7ZW6EW0

Is there any members trying this LPG/Diesel blend conversion?
hmm - local to me - maybe I should go have a look.

Actually, so local that I once bought the woman who's listed as the contact's fathers car from her - LS400 Lexus with the best installed LPG system I've met to date. They also serviced my old V6's LPG system.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 19:11   #9
dean36014
Avid contributor

rover 75 connoisseur se cdti

I had a lpg/diesel powered Mercedes truck. Ran it for about 3 years on this system. The power increase was immense and better mpg, before the conversion I had to drop down two or three gears to get up Shap on the M6, after conversion she flew up in top barely slowing. Eventually it had catastrophic engine failure, melted pistons, injectors etc. had to have a total engine rebuild, its sister truck without conversion soldiered on until retirement needing no major engine maintenance. We also had a conversion done on a non turbo Merc truck which promptly blew up due to the fact the converters triggered the lpg to start on the oil pressure switch so it was pumping lpg in when it didn't need it. Engine was rebuilt, a different trigger mechanism for the lpg was fitted.....and it blew up again! At that point the gaffer gave in with the whole idea!
dean36014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 19:26   #10
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean36014 View Post
I had a lpg/diesel powered Mercedes truck. Ran it for about 3 years on this system. The power increase was immense and better mpg, before the conversion I had to drop down two or three gears to get up Shap on the M6, after conversion she flew up in top barely slowing. Eventually it had catastrophic engine failure, melted pistons, injectors etc. had to have a total engine rebuild, its sister truck without conversion soldiered on until retirement needing no major engine maintenance. We also had a conversion done on a non turbo Merc truck which promptly blew up due to the fact the converters triggered the lpg to start on the oil pressure switch so it was pumping lpg in when it didn't need it. Engine was rebuilt, a different trigger mechanism for the lpg was fitted.....and it blew up again! At that point the gaffer gave in with the whole idea!
Yes I seem to remember that there were some expensive engine failures with the system.