Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th May 2016, 23:12   #1
Ros3
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 saloon (gone to the Rover garage in the sky), Mazda mx5 Phoenix.

Default Premium Bonds.

I have heard a lot about these lately and thought about buying some for the kids.. I thought about maybe £500 each for the both of them. Is it really worth it though ? and do the pro's outdo the con's ?. Should I buy them in 2 lots or pool them together ?. There's a lot of differing info online so wondered if anyone on here has them or experience of them ?. Thanks.
Ros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 07:14   #2
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Grandad bought each of his grandchildren £50 of premium bonds. Mine are 56yrs old and have won nothing.

Couldn't sell them though.
Old 16th May 2016, 07:23   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Personally i wouldn't bother, too low a chance of winning.

First thing you need to think about is what do you want the money to do and over what period? Then work back from that.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 07:49   #4
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

You have more chance of being kicked to death, by a donkey, on an aeroplane than winning the premium bonds.

You would be better off giving them the cash, or lottery tickets to the value of, but again, the national lottery is now just a tax on the poor as the odds of winning are almost as bad as the premium bonds.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 08:04   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Just had my 2nd win this year on the Premium Bonds and I do not have the max holdings.
Whatever you invest the money in it can be a game of chance.
Depending on how long you want to wait for a pay out. Then National Saving Bonds are a good investment. Or Bond that your bank can advise on.

Or there is the National Lottery, football pools and so on.

The beauty of Premium Bonds is if you invest £500 and don't win anything then you can cash in with no penalties.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 08:18   #6
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

there are lots of low value prizes that actually give you a good chance of getting a return on your money, plus as banana says, your money is completely safe (unlike the lottery where you'd be as well thwoing it in the river).

And as the interest rate is pathetic (which is good for borrowers), you're not going to see much in the way of growth in any kind of savings account so you may as well take your chances with premium bonds. I def would!
Old 16th May 2016, 08:24   #7
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I got some premium bonds bought for me in the 1950's....never won a damn penny yet.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:27   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

The Premium Bond investment will not go down, plus there is a chance, and I doubt it has anything to do with donkeys, one may win. When it comes to the intended recipient withdrawing their cash, they can, then they can do what they like with it.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:51   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post

The beauty of Premium Bonds is if you invest £500 and don't win anything then you can cash in with no penalties.
And that is the crunch point. The odds may be worse for winning the jackpot than winning the lottery - but with the Lottery you loose your stake.

With Premium Bonds the money is like it being in an ordinary current account - no interest paid. But what Bank offers a current account with the prospect of a reasonable "win" from time to time?

IMO - as a part of an overall sensible investment strategy - Premium Bonds make a lot of sense as a place to keep a Cash Reserve - i.e that bit of money you keep back for emergencies. We used to do this via a Nationwide account but now Interest Rates are so low it seems hardly worth it.

The average return via winnings with Premium Bonds is likely to be about the same as any interest bearing account. But you have the Chance of winning a biggy
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:58   #10
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
And that is the crunch point. The odds may be worse for winning the jackpot than winning the lottery - but with the Lottery you loose your stake.

With Premium Bonds the money is like it being in an ordinary current account - no interest paid. But what Bank offers a current account with the prospect of a reasonable "win" from time to time?

IMO - as a part of an overall sensible investment strategy - Premium Bonds make a lot of sense as a place to keep a Cash Reserve - i.e that bit of money you keep back for emergencies. We used to do this via a Nationwide account but now Interest Rates are so low it seems hardly worth it.

The average return via winnings with Premium Bonds is likely to be about the same as any interest bearing account. But you have the Chance of winning a biggy

Apart from the small matter that its possible to get good interest rates from a few current accounts, e.g. Santander 1-2-3.

For a more informed analysis, I would recommend reading what Martin Lewis has to say.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote