Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2016, 08:04   #1
sam75

Rover 75 saloon

Default 1800 Overheating!

Our 1800 petrol, (non-air con) has been in the family from new, 93000 miles, and has never caused any problems, (until now). 5 years ago I had the head gasket changed as a preventative measure with an MLS gasket. In August of this year whilst towing our (relatively light) caravan the car suddenly overheated without warning. Called the RAC who diagnosed a blown head gasket and towed us home, (fortunately we were on the way home anyway). I put the car into the local garage, (who we have used for years). They removed the head and found no obvious gasket failure or problem. We had the head pressure tested and lightly skimmed, new elastomer gasket, (based on advice I found through the forum) new bolts, strengthened oil rail in the bottom and a new thermostat, cooling system vacuum filled,(cost just short of £1k). Within a week the car had overheated again, (switched off immediately). The only warning was an increasing water-flowing noise from behind the dash which got worse as the week went on). Water level in the expansion tank never changed as the week went on. Took the car back to the garage and had a new radiator, water pump (in case it the impellor was letting go when it got hot) and a replacement set of known good cooling fans, (another £400). The car has overheated again after another week, (again increasing water rushing noise behind the dash). I have run the car in diagnostic all week. Engine temp was holding at 88-90 at the start of the week, but has crept up to around 93 as the week has gone on. On Thursday it crept up further whilst the car was standing, fan cut in at 105, but temp just kept rising. We have spoken to the garage again, they are at a loss, the only option seems to be a recon engine at around £2000 fitted. We had a trip around the local car garages yesterday to look at buying a new car, but after spending what we have so far, don't have much money left to buy anything decent which isn't going to cause us trouble. The garages will only give us £100 for the Rover - really sad as it has been meticulously maintained throughout its' life and overheating aside, it is pretty much immaculate! Do we bite the bullet and fit a new engine? Any other ideas anyone? I have read a few threads on this from people with a similar problem but nobody seems the have come up with the solution. HELP!
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 08:15   #2
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Overheating

I would strongly recommend speaking to Jules of Colwyn Bay. My car would be on the scrap heap by now if he hadn't been servicing it. He is not to far from Louth and much closer than me in South East London. I'm on my third cooling fan, though mine is the diesel. First time I drove to Jules I had the fan in the boot in pieces, completely frustrated with having endured 9 months of problems that no-one seemed able to diagnose and fix!
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 08:17   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi and welcome to the club.
It is unlikely to be the engine as a unit.
Do you have the full list of what was done on the both recent "repairs"? What year is the car? The reason I am asking is you say it has a new thermostat. Later cars have what is known as a PRT thermostat fitted, it has three pipes and lives along the lower edge of the radiator. Often a garage will fit a standard thermostat where they were originally fitted on the early production cars effectively having two thermostats in the cooling circuit. Some find it works OK but many have the overheating issues you have. Time to get it confirmed if you can.
The other issue is bleeding it should be done as MGR suggests, although vacuum filling should be fine.
Another simple thing is the condition of the coolant expansion cap, any doubt fit a new one not a cheap copy, the O rings in the grooves of the cap can get flattened and cause pressure drop and leak, sometimes new O rings are all that is needed.
The trader DMGRS here can supply a new cap and O rings.
Good luck and don't give up.
Old 18th September 2016, 08:22   #4
sam75

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I really do appreciate it! I spoke with Jules last week, he said we had done everything he would have done already and didn't have any other suggestions. He suspects a crack somewhere within the engine which is causing the water jacket in the block to pressurise and eventually air-lock the cooling system as the car is used, (although the head pressure-tested fine). The car is a fairly early one, (built Easter 2000 at Cowley) so no PRT stat! Coolant cap has been checked and is sealing fine.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:42   #5
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Suggest you go through the cooling system especially checking the heater unit and hoses. Not sure if the 75's use jiggle valves but the MGF's do and these if blocked cause over pressure and even air locks leading to overheating.
Old 18th September 2016, 10:04   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I thought DTJ (Double Thermostat Jeopardy) as well but, the year's wrong - unless someone did a PRT conversion before the HGF.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 18th September 2016 at 10:06..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 10:14   #7
sam75

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks everyone!

On the last trip to the garage they had the console out and checked the heater matrix, also did a pressure test on it and all fine. It hasn't had a PRT conversion, my dad bought the car new and I have had it for the last 8 years - we have every bit of paperwork for it and it has never had anything like this done! Also forgot to mention - no sign of any mayonnaise or water in oil at any point!
Old 18th September 2016, 11:49   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Sam,

1. Have you, or your garage with or without your knowledge, ever put K-seal (or similar) in the cooling system?

2. Don't assume that the vacuum filling has been done properly. Bleed the system yourself using the traditional method here. Don't miss out any stages; follow every point exactly.

3. How do you know that the expansion cap is "sealing fine"? Is the system properly pressurising when at normal running temperature (as murphyv310 has asked)?

4. Is the bottom radiator hose getting hot when the running temperature reaches the low nineties?

I think that your original symptoms pointed to a cooling system problem. It's never a good idea to start systematically replacing parts in the hope that you'll strike gold. This method makes subsequent diagnosis more difficult.

Don't change the engine. Start with the basics, don't make assumptions about parts being "fine", and work through the system methodically.

Simon
Old 18th September 2016, 12:12   #9
sam75

Rover 75 saloon

Many thanks!

The engine did have K seal put in about six years ago, (to cure a slight coolant loss, which it did). I mentioned this to the garage when it went in for the head gasket and they made sure it was all cleaned out properly, (including the bleed on the inlet manifold). Is there anywhere else they might have missed?

The system has been vacuum filled twice in the last three weeks. On the last overheat I drained off myself and filled it manually, (very slowly, following info on here and instructions in RAVE). Problem went away but came back again after a similar amount of running.

Expansion cap allows air in, but not out, (until about 116C when it blows coolant out). If opened when still warm, hiss of air comes out, (as it always did). Also tried new seals on it but no difference.

With the system freshly filled, all hoses are hot, (including heater). After 5 days of commuting (ish) it overheats, at which time the bottom radiator hose is cold, but the top one is roasting hot. Heater still hot, but noticeably hotter when engine revs are increased.

Keep the ideas coming, happy to try anything!
Old 18th September 2016, 12:21   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam75 View Post
... it overheats, at which time the bottom radiator hose is cold, but the top one is roasting hot.
It has to be your thermostat then Sam. It's extremely difficult and time consuming to remove all traces of K-seal. Your garage would not have had the time to do this, and you wouldn't have wanted to pay for it! I suspect that remaining particles are interfering with the operation of the thermostat's moving part. When it doesn't open, flow through the radiator stops, your bottom hose remains cold and the engine overheats.

This long thread describes the extraordinary lengths to which Trevor had to go to remove the troublesome K-seal completely.

This, I believe, is your only problem.

Simon