Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th September 2017, 13:22   #1
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Default Tourer troubles (rear lamps and bumper)

So today I thought I'd take off my rear bumper to fit my 3rd party reversing sensors.

First problem, can't loosen the nuts on the tow-bar fittings and no room to fit proper sockets and breaker bar.

No worries, just try and remove or at least lift the bumper a little. But on the facelift model there's a moulded black plastic kick step and it's not clear how it's attached. Haynes just says remove it. Might be simple on a Mk1 but how do I do it on a Mk2 so I can access the screws? So, result of an hour's labour, can't shift the tow-bar, can't remove the bumper.

OK, whilst I'm up this end I thought I'd fit the new Osram indicator bulbs as my original ones were losing their orange coating. Deep joy, three out of the four captive threads (two per side) are spinning so of course I end up breaking the little lugs that the screws go through. Then, putting it all back as best as possible, the one good screw slips and vanishes down behind the bumper somewhere. Luckily I found in my 'don't throw anything away' box a suitable (stainless) replacement.

I hate giving up so might have to try and fit the sensors by measuring up another bumper so I can drill the cut-outs in the correct places and not be obstructed by the polystyrene behind.

Or carry on using the tow-bar as a 'sensor'
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 13:31   #2
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Or park using air freshener method
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 16:17   #3
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

If you mean the black panel on top edge of bumper when you open the tailgate.......it is just clipped in.......slide a thin edge in under it and lever upward.

There are about 8 locating tabs....but it is just a push fit

Number 3 on the attached linky................ https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001784

Your only in St Albans....... if you want to pop down......... I'm sure we can sort it.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 16:23   #4
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

That's the one...but it appears to be 'stuck down' right up to and over the vertical face so I was reluctant to risk using force and snapping it. I can see the leading edge lugs when I peel back the rubber seal.

Also, it fits fairly tight up to the outer edges of the horizontal, not really room to push any thing substantial in from the sides.

I'll have another go tomorrow. Should be within my capabilities but every plastic item I touch on my ZT seems to have self-destruct fittings ....
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 16:29   #5
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
That's the one...but it appears to be 'stuck down' right up to and over the vertical face so I was reluctant to risk using force and snapping it. I can see the leading edge lugs when I peel back the rubber seal.

Also, it fits fairly tight up to the outer edges of the horizontal, not really room to push any thing substantial in from the sides.

I'll have another go tomorrow. Should be within my capabilities but every plastic item I touch on my ZT seems to have self-destruct fittings ....
The tabs are prone to snapping.......maybe a previous has done a DIY stick down jobby.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 17:29   #6
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
So today I thought I'd take off my rear bumper to fit my 3rd party reversing sensors.

First problem, can't loosen the nuts on the tow-bar fittings and no room to fit proper sockets and breaker bar.

No worries, just try and remove or at least lift the bumper a little. But on the facelift model there's a moulded black plastic kick step and it's not clear how it's attached. Haynes just says remove it. Might be simple on a Mk1 but how do I do it on a Mk2 so I can access the screws? So, result of an hour's labour, can't shift the tow-bar, can't remove the bumper.

OK, whilst I'm up this end I thought I'd fit the new Osram indicator bulbs as my original ones were losing their orange coating. Deep joy, three out of the four captive threads (two per side) are spinning so of course I end up breaking the little lugs that the screws go through. Then, putting it all back as best as possible, the one good screw slips and vanishes down behind the bumper somewhere. Luckily I found in my 'don't throw anything away' box a suitable (stainless) replacement.

I hate giving up so might have to try and fit the sensors by measuring up another bumper so I can drill the cut-outs in the correct places and not be obstructed by the polystyrene behind.

Or carry on using the tow-bar as a 'sensor'
I,v just had the very same issues today,I had to cut the ball joint off the tow bar ,and all the plastic things to pins go into on the light broke,,and I lost a screw down the bumper..What a lashup of an afternoon....
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote