Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th February 2018, 19:43   #1
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Autodim mirror and rain sensor

Dear All,

just looking for a bit of advice from all you gurus out there.

I have two 75's at the moment and want to swap the autodim and rain sensor off my old 52 connie SE on to the newer 54 reg connie, which has different option bits fitted.

I have seen the various very helpful posts, but failed on the first bit, getting the autodim mirror assembly off.

Mind, it was in the dark, so I could not see the screws which hold the cowling on.

Are there any decent photos on the forum that might help?

Also, if I try to get the rain sensors working do I need the wiper stalk off the old 75?

My reading of the advice on the forum was that the T4 needs to be used to tell the BCU that a rain sensor was fitted and this changed the operation of the standard stalk.

Does anybody know if this is correct, or am I as wrong as I usually find myself to be?

Best to ask first, unlike the last time when the good people on this forum pulled me out of the hole I was engaged in excavating!

Best wishes to all, Frank B
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 20:23   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

at the two side edges pressed home are two clips that pull out, you can then remove the sensor electronics. The bit stuck to the screen is stuck like ? to a blanket and is quite hard to remove.

I seem to recall asking about rain sensing and you lose I think some of the functionality of the wipers as they are now. Possibly the auto stop when you stop.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 20:33   #3
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

You going to cut a hole in the screen trim for the sensor.

I watched one being done, and the ECU had to be taken out, wether it was swapped or not I cant remember.
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 20:44   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I seem to recall asking about rain sensing and you lose I think some of the functionality of the wipers as they are now. Possibly the auto stop when you stop.

macafee2
I don't know about that, but you do lose the wipe delay - it becomes the auto wipe sensitivity adjustment.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 27th February 2018 at 20:48..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 21:26   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I don't know about that, but you do lose the wipe delay - it becomes the auto wipe sensitivity adjustment.
may be that's what's lost, knew it was something. what ever function is lost put me off fitting rain sensing

macafee2
Old 28th February 2018, 08:34   #6
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I wrote a How To in the relevant section detailing how to retrofit the rain sensing wipers into a car with a standard windscreen.
Basically, once it has been enabled by T4 after fitting everything, you need to move the wiper stalk up on click to the intermittent setting. The car will then use the ECU for its information on triggering the wipe function and the frequency.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 08:56   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I retrofitted rain sensor wipers but to be honest, wish I hadn't bothered. In some situations it is at best, hit and miss (no pun intended) and prefer to do a manual wipe. Auto dimming mirror on the other hand, is fantastic and I'm going to need another one for my Cowley car.
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:05   #8
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Thanks to all reponders

Thanks for the advice. I did read one proc on the autodim/rain sensor swap and many related posts.

However, I shot myself in the foot by thinking it looked so simple I could remove the mirror in the dark with a torch in my mouth. Wrong.

I will have another look in the light today, but, as usual, I have to do prep work for a business trip tomorrow, so time is short.

I will report back if I find anything of value to relate.

Best wishes, Frank

Last edited by frankgoldstar; 25th March 2018 at 22:21.. Reason: Developments and questions
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:45   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

A windscreen swap is required, anyone saying you can remove the prism from the original screen and fit it to a non RSW successfully, is talking out of their hat

A ZCS coding change is required, and a bit of extra wiring from the (hopefully) fully populated plug at the base of the A pillar, I have done this on my old man's car as a broken windscreen was replaced with a rain sensor version

My advice is not to bother, one of my cars has rain sensing wipers, three do not, and I find the two rain sensors placed either side of my nose more than adequate to know when wipers are required

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 19:49   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
A windscreen swap is required, anyone saying you can remove the prism from the original screen and fit it to a non RSW successfully, is talking out of their hat

A ZCS coding change is required, and a bit of extra wiring from the (hopefully) fully populated plug at the base of the A pillar, I have done this on my old man's car as a broken windscreen was replaced with a rain sensor version

My advice is not to bother, one of my cars has rain sensing wipers, three do not, and I find the two rain sensors placed either side of my nose more than adequate to know when wipers are required

Brian

I beg to differ Brian, you can remove the prism but it is s devils own job to do. First attempt did damage the windscreen but second attempt was successful. Having everything bar the sticky pad to stick prism to windscreen and having got advice from the forum, have decided not to bother to fit it. This is due to losing one of the current functions of the wipers

macafee2