Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2020, 13:20   #1
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default shark fin Ariel

hi all can anyone tell me if it's possible for the shark fin Ariel to leak as i have got a leak and cant find it the head lining is wet where the tailgate opens if it was the shark fin Ariel how do you get it off to reseal it thanks in advance
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 16:10   #2
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

oh yes they can leak, when they do ( at least mine did ) water softens the headlining and makes it hard to refit. the shark fin is a brute to make watertight if the rubber/plastic has perished or been damaged. I finally made mine watertight by using clear silicone either side of the gasket and very carefully refitting it. the single fine thread nut that locks it in place is really hard to locate without cross threading it. also a problem is the two clips glued to the headlining that supposedly holds it up, but they can easily come unstuck. I am still trying to get a final solution, currently trying fibre glass resin to stiffen the headlining so it will take hook and loop removeable fixings.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 16:13   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Mine is clamped up from the underside with a large hexagonal nut.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 18:09   #4
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

my headlining is coming down in places i was thinking spray glue would mabey fix that or is that a bad idea do i need to pull the headlining down to access the nut holding the areil
Old 25th August 2020, 18:42   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Mine is a saloon and it was fitted above the rear courtesy light fitting so as as to require minimal disturbance of the headlining.I'm not sure where rear courtesy light is on the tourer but does it match the position of your aeriel?

Old 25th August 2020, 19:16   #6
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

the tourer sharkfin aerial is approx. 10 inches forward of the tailgate. the luggage area light is approx 4 inches in from the tailgate so they do not line up unfortunately. to access the large fixing nut the " D " post trims have to be removed by careful leverage then the light lense levered out . this reveals two scrivits holding the bulb unit . pull out the scrivets and the plastic bulb holder drops down this partially drops the headlining. two metal clips either side of the aerial fixing need to be freed from the roof panel to allow your arm to squeeze between the headlining and the roof panel. theres a moulded bracket that acts as a washer and cable guide held in place by a large dia ( i think 15mm o/e spanner ) shallow nut. once the nuts removed the sharkfin can be lifted out of its locating hole (( the source of our leaks ))
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 19:42   #7
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

So some tourers have a factory fitted sharkfin?I thought they are a post MGR era feature.

Old 25th August 2020, 19:46   #8
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
the tourer sharkfin aerial is approx. 10 inches forward of the tailgate. the luggage area light is approx 4 inches in from the tailgate so they do not line up unfortunately. to access the large fixing nut the " D " post trims have to be removed by careful leverage then the light lense levered out . this reveals two scrivits holding the bulb unit . pull out the scrivets and the plastic bulb holder drops down this partially drops the headlining. two metal clips either side of the aerial fixing need to be freed from the roof panel to allow your arm to squeeze between the headlining and the roof panel. theres a moulded bracket that acts as a washer and cable guide held in place by a large dia ( i think 15mm o/e spanner ) shallow nut. once the nuts removed the sharkfin can be lifted out of its locating hole (( the source of our leaks ))
very informative i will try and follow your instructions thank you
Old 25th August 2020, 19:47   #9
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

If it has factory fitted satnav it has a shark fin.
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 07:23   #10
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
very informative i will try and follow your instructions thank you
looks like it could be the shark fin aerial right enough went out to the car this morning looking at the seal round about it it looked ok didn't think water would get under there but i took hold of it and shook it back and forth and low and behold water started coming out between the seal and the top of the car but before taking down the headlining i put really strong rubberised tape round it to seal it if it turns out that is the problem i will go down the road that Christopher posted thanks all i will keep you informed as to the outcome thanks again