Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2022, 12:40   #1
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Moving house.

Or not.

We've been considering moving house for sometime now, had the estate valued and Oh My Goodness. Anyway been on the old Right Move thingy and to be fair when you look at how some properties are advertised and the words used by estate agents, it makes our politicians look as honest as a mid summer day is long. Looked at one and noticed that the bath was held together by brown parcel tape. I kid you not. You would think that as a place has a kitchen, dining room, living room, hall, 4-5 bedrooms, bathrooms, utility, garage and whatever else there would be a photo of each room from several angels. Nope. Some just put on 12 including 5 of the garden even if it has 15 or so rooms. Others give a close up of some plant sitting forlornly in an unused fireplace. Whisky Tango Foxtrot is that going to do to sell the place. Now we really don't want to travel some 200 miles only to see a house that is in need of a builder, did that recently all the way up to Northumberland (nice county by the way). Clearly such a lack of photos makes one think there is something to hide. Like the damp up the walls and the leaky toilet, oh yes it's interesting what one can pick out when casting the PC to a smart TV. Zoom in. Arrgh.

They put a link on to Street Map, only it's miles out, so we spend ages "driving" up and down only to find the place overlooks a large shopping outlet, backs onto a pig farm or has an industrial estate as the nearest neighbour. Or that they've just built a dirty great big housing estate in the adjacent field which no one wants to buy anything on. Funny that.

We've started looking at Scotland again, only they seem to have a weird way of selling/buying houses. However living opposite the entrance to the Clyde would have a number of advantages. One does seem to get a lot of brick for one's buck north of the border though and my wife would feel like she's gone back home (she misses Ayrshire). Problem is my lot would never speak to me again as we'd live even further away. Not that it is Scotland I must stress, they got animated when we went to Northumberland for a viewing. Did I say how nice Northumberland was?

Anyway what will be will be, stay, move. Suffolk's a nice county, very friendly people and we're a short drive from the coast. Hospitals are good and we have a Waitrose which could be the clincher.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 17:33   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

We went through this last year. Driving a 400 mile round trip to look at a house. Google maps is indeed very helpful as is an atlas. We looked at about 3,000 houses vi the internet. 1 we went after required adding a second story and an extension, another had been gutted as a house and was being used as an administration building. Run down properties are cheaper to buy and give you more scope to put your mark on it but takes time to be what you want and you may not want to spend that time in mess.

We decided to sell and move into a discounted rented property and then start looking again. We had to put stuff into storage.

Is Scotland the only option? We ended up in Lincolnshire and for the same price have a much bigger property.
If you really want to go to Scotland, go, you cannot live your life for others and you do not want to leave it too late and miss out.

I've heard before having a Waitrose close by can add money to the value to a house, staggering.

Good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 18:06   #3
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

From where I am in Essex Gary, Suffolk is idyllic. I'd do it tomorrow. If it wasn't for Celia.... Although it wouldn't be the first time she has saved me from myself.
Old 7th June 2022, 19:36   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I must have been lucky - never had to move, having been in the current property since 1953. 4 bed detached(1882), garden, orchard, veg plot, yard, and 8 garages, all in the centre of a village overlooking the green and park. All a bit big for me now (well, not the garaging or yard), but don't plan to go anywhere. My parents had great foresight.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 19:57   #5
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
We went through this last year. Driving a 400 mile round trip to look at a house. Google maps is indeed very helpful as is an atlas. We looked at about 3,000 houses vi the internet. 1 we went after required adding a second story and an extension, another had been gutted as a house and was being used as an administration building. Run down properties are cheaper to buy and give you more scope to put your mark on it but takes time to be what you want and you may not want to spend that time in mess.

We decided to sell and move into a discounted rented property and then start looking again. We had to put stuff into storage.

Is Scotland the only option? We ended up in Lincolnshire and for the same price have a much bigger property.
If you really want to go to Scotland, go, you cannot live your life for others and you do not want to leave it too late and miss out.

I've heard before having a Waitrose close by can add money to the value to a house, staggering.

Good luck

macafee2
We've drawn a map on Right Move which includes Shropshire, Staffordshire, a little of the West Midlands and Powys, so quite a large area. Scotland isn't really a goer as part of the reason to move is to be nearer family, as well as a better climate. We find it rather too warm and dry here in Suffolk. We'd also looked at Lincoln, seems you get a lot for your buck again. Another issue is that we've got quite a decent piece of real estate here, so folks tell us, and it is difficult to replicate. We've chucked a few quid, time and effort at it and we'd rather not have to do it all over again. One of the estate agents who valued it advised us to go in to rented in the area we're looking at, but that's dead money and two moves for the price of one. We did it when we moved here from the west Midlands and found it even more stressful.

It will be what it will be though. At least we can have a laugh at bathrooms held together with parcel tape.
Old 7th June 2022, 20:03   #6
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
From where I am in Essex Gary, Suffolk is idyllic. I'd do it tomorrow. If it wasn't for Celia.... Although it wouldn't be the first time she has saved me from myself.
It's not a bad part of the country, somewhat a bit of a hidden gem. Can't believe our luck really in finding a good job and place when we moved back in '11. But now retired and health not as good as it was, we think if we don't make the move now it will only be harder later.

We shall see though.
Old 7th June 2022, 20:12   #7
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I must have been lucky - never had to move, having been in the current property since 1953. 4 bed detached(1882), garden, orchard, veg plot, yard, and 8 garages, all in the centre of a village overlooking the green and park. All a bit big for me now (well, not the garaging or yard), but don't plan to go anywhere. My parents had great foresight.
We've moved for the better jobs. Wolverhampton to Shropshire then South Staffordshire and now here in mid-Suffolk. Thing is all the previous moves were employment led, so we've always had to compromise. Now, because we want to move, we don't have to, need to, want to, which is part of the problem. Actually the main problem.

It will sort itself out one way or the other I'm sure.