Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st July 2022, 15:31   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Royal International Air Tattoo 2022

Well it's been and gone, and it will be one to be remembered. A great show, in extreme temperatures, yet still, as with most major events at the moment, proof of lack of practice on the organizational front.

The Red Arrows have "dropped the baton" this year, and with the South Korean display team, the Black Eagles, showing how well they have developed since their initial training and set up, ironically by the Red Arrows, they have mastered display flying. Several moves and formations are theirs alone. I had my allocated seat on a 2000 seat stand and since the mid 70's, I have never seen such adulation from our band of "know it all" enthusiasts, with the entire stand, stood applauding.

There were many highlights, there are many videos on Youtube, some proving that even professional video producers are out of practice.

The Austrian Air Force were outstanding with two Eurofighters performing an amazing sequence. Airbus brought their massive Beluga transport over for a flypast. Of several exhibits from the U.S. in celebration of 75 years existence of the USAF they brought over the Boeing 747 conversion Command Control E4-B, first attendance outside of the US. Many more items which I won't mention, "as this is a car club", but an amazing event. Tons of exhibits on the ground and thousands of Air Cadets voluntarily keeping the place running, again in extreme temperatures and I heard none of them complaining.

For those who may find this interesting, there are massive engineering and building works going on at Fairford, within the airfield; Mildenhall is closing within the next two years and most of their staff and personnel will be moving with two squadrons, to Fairford. My enquiries so far reveal that the USAF are backing future RIATs 100%.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2022, 20:26   #2
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Fred, just for interest Mildenhall isn't closing now and the Rivet Joints etc are not moving over to Fairford. Major infrastructure works now financed to keep Mildenhall facilities upgraded and fit through to 2040. Fairford getting new climate controlled hangars and facilities and will be remaining a heavy bomber and recon standby base and with new unit moving in in next year or so. I dont have details on new unit but suspect part of restructuring in Germany and reinforcement of rapid deployment assets. Be interesting at next RIAT

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2022, 20:36   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Fred, just for interest Mildenhall isn't closing now and the Rivet Joints etc are not moving over to Fairford. Major infrastructure works now financed to keep Mildenhall facilities upgraded and fit through to 2040. Fairford getting new climate controlled hangars and facilities and will be remaining a heavy bomber and recon standby base and with new unit moving in in next year or so. I dont have details on new unit but suspect part of restructuring in Germany and reinforcement of rapid deployment assets. Be interesting at next RIAT
That's very interesting Paul. I had seen the 2015 proposals, then the changes and again looked at the Look East site. It has been worrying for the Mildenhall local community as many have only known their employment has existed for more than a generation because of Mildenhall. Chat on Sunday.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2022, 21:16   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote