Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd July 2022, 17:25   #1
Shuknami
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Front Fog Lights consultation.

Hello everyone.
I installed the front fog lights. I got, from another Rover, the connection cable that goes from the gun box, in the engine compartment, to the fog lights. In the workshop, at first, they didn't turn on the headlights. They verified, according to what they told me, that the fog light relay was rejecting the connection. They had to bridge another wire from the same relay to the fog lights. Now, they turn on once I press the interior switch, but the corresponding green light does not turn on the panel, indicating that they are on. They told me in the workshop that I would have to 'activate' them with the Toaf so that the car's system recognizes that it has front fog lights and can activate the light in the box. What do you know about it?
Shuknami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 07:00   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuknami View Post
Hello everyone.
I installed the front fog lights. I got, from another Rover, the connection cable that goes from the gun box, in the engine compartment, to the fog lights. In the workshop, at first, they didn't turn on the headlights. They verified, according to what they told me, that the fog light relay was rejecting the connection. They had to bridge another wire from the same relay to the fog lights. Now, they turn on once I press the interior switch, but the corresponding green light does not turn on the panel, indicating that they are on. They told me in the workshop that I would have to 'activate' them with the Toaf so that the car's system recognizes that it has front fog lights and can activate the light in the box. What do you know about it?
There is a pictorial installation manual for the front fog lights. Follow this to success
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 07:46   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

There are two wiring harnesses for the front fog lights, factory fit and retro fit. Both harnesses being genuine Rover
The bridging of a wire sounds like a retro fit harness.
I do not recall needing T4 to activate the front fog lights.
Does the light switch module as well as the switch need changing?

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 14:08   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
They verified, according to what they told me, that the fog light relay was rejecting the connection.
That sounds like gobbledegook to me Julio. The relay is not capable of "rejecting" anything, it's a passive component. Installing a bridging wire to get around this is a bodge. As the foglamp warning light does not illuminate I believe that the answer lies with your wiring or the LSM. There is no mention in RAVE of any activation procedure being required when foglamps are fitted (they are hardwired throughout). However a replacement LSM switch panel with front foglamps switch is required. Do you have this?

Simon
Old 24th July 2022, 15:11   #5
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

You only need to change the light switch for the one with dual buttons, not the module.

My 2006 cdti had the harness in place. It was just a case of hooking up the lights and adding a relay after changing the light switch.
Old 25th July 2022, 17:43   #6
Shuknami
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

In which section should I look for it?
Old 25th July 2022, 17:51   #7
Shuknami
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I changed the original switch of the vehicle that only had rear fog lights for another 75 that had both rear and front. I replaced the entire switch. The wire that runs from the fuse box on the engine to the fog lights (power and ground wire) taken from that 75, was also added.
Old 25th July 2022, 17:56   #8
Shuknami
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
That sounds like gobbledegook to me Julio. The relay is not capable of "rejecting" anything, it's a passive component. Installing a bridging wire to get around this is a bodge. As the foglamp warning light does not illuminate I believe that the answer lies with your wiring or the LSM. There is no mention in RAVE of any activation procedure being required when foglamps are fitted (they are hardwired throughout). However a replacement LSM switch panel with front foglamps switch is required. Do you have this?

Simon
I changed the original switch of the vehicle that only had rear fog lights for another 75 that had both rear and front. I replaced the entire switch. The cable that goes from the fuse box in the engine to the fog lights (power cable and ground) taken from that 75, was also added.
The switch and module were changed from the one it had for one of a 75 that had all the fog lamps. The front fog lights come on when the switch is pressed but the green warning light on the dashboard does not come on and the lights fail (the yellow warning light). Yes, it is a botched workshop that I want to correct.
Old 26th July 2022, 07:10   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The switch and module were changed from the one it had for one of a 75 that had all the fog lamps.
Thanks for the clarification Julio.

Your original factory-fitted Light Switch Module (LSM) is programmed specifically to your car's VIN. Have you re-programmed the replacement using T4 or Toaf? Does the odometer in the instrument pack still display the car's correct mileage?

RAVE states that, when fitting front fog lamps, all that is necessary is to fit a switch panel containing both front and rear foglamp switches to the car's existing LSM. If you do this, your problems should be solved.

Simon
Old 26th July 2022, 11:05   #10
Shuknami
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thanks for the clarification Julio.

Your original factory-fitted Light Switch Module (LSM) is programmed specifically to your car's VIN. Have you re-programmed the replacement using T4 or Toaf? Does the odometer in the instrument pack still display the car's correct mileage?

RAVE states that, when fitting front fog lamps, all that is necessary is to fit a switch panel containing both front and rear foglamp switches to the car's existing LSM. If you do this, your problems should be solved.

Simon
Hello. Thanks for your clarification.
No, I haven't been able to reschedule anything yet. I have to order the cable to connect my laptop that has Toaf to the car.