Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th July 2022, 09:10   #1
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Drop links

Apologies in advance for starting what seems to be yet another thread on the dreaded subject.

Tried to replace the driver's side front drop link yesterday. New links from DMGRS all prepped by lopping around 8mm off the top. However, the ones fitted must have had the struts removed to fit them as there's no way I can get a spanner in. Tried to cut the old link under the spring mount but I can't get my saw in with enough purchase and I don't fancy getting a grinder in there. The old girl is fighting me at every stage at the moment.

Is it possible to make it easier to replace the links by slackening off the strut nuts but not remove the strut? I reckon that should give me enough room to get a spanner in and get the old link off. I'd rather not have to get the garage to do the job, as they'll charge me an inordinate amount.
Old 25th July 2022, 11:10   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I get the grinder out.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 11:17   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Try to make some headway with just a hacksaw blade, interspersed with cups of tea, good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 12:07   #4
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I get the grinder out.
Knowing my luck, I'd end up slicing the strut in two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Try to make some headway with just a hacksaw blade, interspersed with cups of tea, good luck.
I did contemplate that yesterday afternoon but time was running out and as she's now the daily driver I didn't want to be running round with a half sawn through link.

Might see if I've got any HSS blades for my jigsaw and give that a try, though my free weekends are running out before we go off on hols so I may have to go down the garage route.
Old 25th July 2022, 19:24   #5
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default Drop links

Angle Grinder with a thin cutting disc is the way to go, But dont force it, Let the disc do the cutting This is what happend when you try to force it..

That is my left leg thigh by the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1846.jpg (128.5 KB, 49 views)

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 25th July 2022 at 19:28..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 21:30   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Angle Grinder with a thin cutting disc is the way to go, But dont force it, Let the disc do the cutting This is what happend when you try to force it..

ouch

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 23:00   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Apologies in advance for starting what seems to be yet another thread on the dreaded subject.

Tried to replace the driver's side front drop link yesterday. New links from DMGRS all prepped by lopping around 8mm off the top. However, the ones fitted must have had the struts removed to fit them as there's no way I can get a spanner in. Tried to cut the old link under the spring mount but I can't get my saw in with enough purchase and I don't fancy getting a grinder in there. The old girl is fighting me at every stage at the moment.

Is it possible to make it easier to replace the links by slackening off the strut nuts but not remove the strut? I reckon that should give me enough room to get a spanner in and get the old link off. I'd rather not have to get the garage to do the job, as they'll charge me an inordinate amount.
You could wait until the 6th & 7th Aug, when you come to the Nano if the knocking is not to bad.

Other than that, undo the bottom of the link attached to the ARB and grind down a 17m open end spanner so you can get it onto the top nut, then use the flat on the link to turn it, this may then give you just that little space to get the hacksaw in and cut through it.

I Change a drop link on my car last month as it was knocking and had a journey to Wales to the daughters, so had to do the same job as they were original links no space to get the ground down ring spanner over the then due to the spring being to close.

Two weeks ago a little knocking stated and it turned out to be the link i replace so i changed it and the other side to match, as before the original was a nightmare due to space.

The one i had changed piece of cake as i had reduced the thread by 10mm, now hear is the thing last Wednesday 20th i had a knocking again, i thought no way can it be the drop links, so here is my school boy error i got distracted when i was fitting the drivers side link, and never doubled checked as i always do, low and behold i had only nipped it up and it took a fair few days to raise it's ugly head, so tightened it up to the ARB and all is good.

Used double nut as always.

Follow the link below and read post 67 with regards to using the hacksaw

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=192709

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2022, 07:58   #8
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post

Ay-yay-yay! Bet that smarted a bit. That's why I'm a bit reluctant to use a grinder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
You could wait until the 6th & 7th Aug, when you come to the Nano if the knocking is not to bad.

Follow the link below and read post 67 with regards to using the hacksaw

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=192709

Double booked that Nano weekend and as it's family stuff there's no way I can get out of it. Need the Brownie points to allow me to work on the car!
I've taken a look at that post and I can now get the idea how to get the saw in. Helps that it'll snap off half way through. If I can get this one done this weekend, I can get the other side replaced when the pressure's off after holiday. Cheers Steve.
Old 26th July 2022, 08:49   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Ay-yay-yay! Bet that smarted a bit. That's why I'm a bit reluctant to use a grinder!

Double booked that Nano weekend and as it's family stuff there's no way I can get out of it. Need the Brownie points to allow me to work on the car!
I've taken a look at that post and I can now get the idea how to get the saw in.
Quote:
Helps that it'll snap off half way through.
If I can get this one done this weekend, I can get the other side replaced when the pressure's off after holiday. Cheers Steve.

They don't all snap off after cutting half way through, never force it as you could end up bending the the hole it sits in or tearing it out if its rusty

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 09:10   #10
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

How much should be cut off? What is the latest regards cutting off the top end of the drop link thread where some say 7mm others say 8mm and some say 10mm?

I may need to either grind down the spanner of cut off 11mm
  • On the new drop link I have to top threaded shaft is 25mm vertical length.
  • The nut (that takes a 17mm spanner) is 10mm high.
  • A ring combination spanner (not ground down) is 10mm thick/high.

I aim to use a grinder to cut off the top of the old drop link. Do I place the disc as high up the drop link as possible? And therefore aiming to cutting out and off that 15mm/16mm two sided nut that holds the shaft?

Its seems the trick is to check when the grinder "kicks offs" what is being cut.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote