Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2022, 21:00   #1
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Replacing the Alternator Regulator

Some time ago I got a Charge Failure message so, expecting the worst, I bought a replacement alternator regulator from DMRGS.

The car then worked fine for another 12 months, but today the battery light is on and the message is back - time to replace the regulator.

I've read the fitting instructions and have removed the engine cover and air intake, along with the positive lead to the alternator, but am a bit stuck with getting the plastic cover off the back of the alternator.

Does anyone have a spare alternator that they could photograph the back of for me so I can see what I'm doing?

Failing that, does anyone know what size the nuts are, and how many there are holding that cover in place?

While I've got it all apart I'm going to remove the inlet manifold and EGR valve to clean them both out - at 112,500 miles, it's probably long overdue!

Many thanks :-)
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2022, 22:48   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Some time ago I got a Charge Failure message so, expecting the worst, I bought a replacement alternator regulator from DMRGS.

The car then worked fine for another 12 months, but today the battery light is on and the message is back - time to replace the regulator.

I've read the fitting instructions and have removed the engine cover and air intake, along with the positive lead to the alternator, but am a bit stuck with getting the plastic cover off the back of the alternator.

Does anyone have a spare alternator that they could photograph the back of for me so I can see what I'm doing?

Failing that, does anyone know what size the nuts are, and how many there are holding that cover in place?

While I've got it all apart I'm going to remove the inlet manifold and EGR valve to clean them both out - at 112,500 miles, it's probably long overdue!

Many thanks :-)[/QUOT
E]

Hi Simon.
The link below may help you.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...sh+replacement

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2022, 11:27   #3
Tourist
Loves to post

Ha! You lifesaver Arctic!! Thanks a lot for that, I searched but obviously not well enough.

Yesterday I ended taking the front off the car, as far as and including the bonnet slam panel as I couldn't get the air duct off - the bolts just turn in the captive nuts in the plastic.

With that info I can get it apart and see what's what.

The car has been absolutely perfect and has been treated like a workhorse recently so it's nice to pay it back a bit with some love and attention!
Old 28th July 2022, 16:20   #4
Tourist
Loves to post

Well, I got it replaced - but still the battery light remains on, and my battery voltage when the engine running is measuring only 11.9 volts.

Time for a new alternator.

I've seen that DMGRS and other places list a replacement alternator that fits all Diesel R75s - how can this be when the early cars had a three pin connection, and the later cars only two?
Old 28th July 2022, 16:38   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Well, I got it replaced - but still the battery light remains on, and my battery voltage when the engine running is measuring only 11.9 volts.

Time for a new alternator.

I've seen that DMGRS and other places list a replacement alternator that fits all Diesel R75s - how can this be when the early cars had a three pin connection, and the later cars only two?

The third pin was unused so the 2-pin can replace the earlier 3-pin type.